Has this ever happened to you???

wmwise

• Members

Howdy all, I picked up a Larrivee D-03 because the sound just blew me away, it has a satin finish which I really dont care for, but I figured that It would grow on me because I like to tone and sound. Well.... I just cant seem to talk myself into liking the satin finish. So now I find myself leaving it in its case and always playing my Martin. I know that it is stupid to think this way, but what can I say :facepalm:

So was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone here, if so, did you just make yourself get over it or trade if off for something else.

Thanks for letting me rant

Bill

• Members

I was thinking about trying to buff it into a gloss finish, but then did a search and read alot of horror stories about buffing thru the finish ect. Would really hate to screw up a nice guitar.

Bill

Sounds like you are already past the point of caring if t is a nice guitar, go ahead and polish it if it will make it more desirable to you, otherwise I'd sell it. Guitars do no good gathering dust. Just keep in mind you'll likely lose your pants in the sale, D-03s aren't worth a great sum.

• Members

Kind of a shame. If you can't get over the satin thing, I'd sell it and get a D-05. I guess I've obsessed over some weird crap myself that shouldn't have affected me, but did. The headstock and pickguard on a Taylor I once had were driving me half insane. I was thinking about sawing off part of the headstock... until I realized I hated the tone, too... So I sawed off the whole guitar.

• Members

I thought about buffing out the satin finish on my Taylor DN3, but decided against it. I like the guitar just the way it is, finish and all. I guess I've come to appreciate a satin finish.

You can buff it out, but it has to be done right, or you'll screw it up bad. It will also void the warranty as far as the finish goes. It'll also likely adversely affect its resale value.

Or you could sell it and find a guitar you like better.

• Members

Well, a lot of times when people say "buffing" they are talking about using power tools. Fast, but also easy to make an uncorrectible mistake before you know it. Judicious hand buffing with a light rubbing compound should produce appreciable glossing without damaging finish. Do not use steel wool, do not use sand paper. Do not get in a hurry. Do not use a paste wax. That will give the desired visual effect, but put a lot of weighty crap on your soundboard. A light, even handed polishing with a very fine buffing compound, say every time you change strings, should give you the effect you want after 4-5 repetitions. If you can't find jeweller's rouge or other fine buffing compounds, a clay based facial masque or toothpaste can suffice. TWO THINGS: Take your time, and it will take time. If you want everything perfect right now, buy a new guitar. Hope you get what you want, one way or the other.

• Members

I had an Epiphone that I picked up for a song. The more I looked at it sitting on the stand, the more I hated the thing; sloped shoulders, monstrous pickguard, backwards bridge, and one of the ugliest headstocks. Finally had to get rid of it.

BTW, I polished a satin finish Takamine. It wasn't difficult, just took some time and elbow work. The result was a very nice sheen.

• Members

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I know that I am not going to try and buff it out, just dont have the time and dont want to damage it. So you just might see it up for trade real soon. I did have a K&K mini western pickup installed, and it comes with the factory hardcase, will help in trade.

I play bluegrass, so will be looking for something with lots of bottom.

Bill

• Members

I polished my OM-03 Blackwood mostly to get rid of the Woosh sound that it made when slidding across my lap. Turned out pretty nice. However, you can still see sanding marks in the wood underneath the finish if you look hard enough now. Wouldn't notice them if it wasn't glossy.

Picture419.jpg

Archived