SO, are those Gretsch Americanas still on blowout?

kwakatak

• Members

Don't think you'll see them blown out at that $26-30 range of last month. Unless Overstock relists all the Showdown and Sundown Gretches that were returned due to defects....and there were a lot of bad ones. I know, cause I got a real turd.

My guestimate based on reviews on here is that about half were playable or better out of the box and the other half required substantial neck adjustments/set up, bridge shimming, new nuts and fret replacement.

About half the turds were sent back and a lot were retained (like mine) for their utility as learning platforms for amatuer luthiery and the challenge of making them playable.

For me they sound better than any 3/4 size travel acousitic I've tried, and they sport are full 24" scale length neck to boot, so its worth fixing......maybe.

Ebay had a bunch sell recently in the $40-65 range so if your interested.....

• Members

Yeah, I see a lot of people turning them around for a quick buck. Sorry, not interested in a used one for a significant mark-up though. I just thought they'd make a good kid/travel guitar. Not for $75 or $100 though. For that I'd fix up my 35 year-old, $35 Kay.

• Members

I don't think I'd pay 10 bucks for two of 'em. I've already got more junk than any one person needs. I can understand the attraction to these however, but I'm guessing in a year you couldn't GIVE one away.

I could be wrong, I guess. In fact, it happened once........that time ten years ago when I THOUGHT I was wrong, and it turned out I was RIGHT!

I got two that played and sounded great. Honestly, easily as good or better than the Martin Felix the cat guitar. There's a fellow here who outfitted his with a nice transducer pickup and it sounds great.

With no work on one and a bit of work on the other, I got two excellent guitars that were well worth the original $150 price tag for $60.

I'm sure at that pricepoint, some were dogs but that happens to the best of Gibsons sometimes. I'm amazed at how nice these sound.

Of course you don't have to believe your ears.

Sorry you missed out Kwak.

Archived