String Gauge on Yamaha FG700s

dumb genius

• Members

I just got a Yamaha FG700s, I really like the sound and feel it has (especially considering the price). I've look all over the web but can't find what string gauge comes with the FG700s. Can some one tell me what gauge is used also give me some suggestions on what brands of strings you use.

thanks

• Members

dunno what it comes with, but I play Ernie Ball Earthwood 11's which were recommended by my luthier in GA and I reckon they sound fantastic, plus they're comparatively cheap.

congrats on the new git .... the Yamaha FG series are some of the best guitars made - I still love mine after a lot of years :thu:

• Members

I've been trying to figure out this very thing myself--I got my FG700 recently, and I think they run 12's on them, but I'm not entirely sure. My favorite strings (though I haven't put them on the Yammie yet) are Martin SP lights--I think a lot of people find that they don't last as long as they'd like, but they sound gorgeous and if you're not playing a ton they should hold up just fine for you.

Enjoy your guitar :thu:

• Members

There was a thread a couple of weeks back about the strings Yamaha puts on the FG7xx series and someone went so far as to use a micrometer to get the gauge of each string.

I think the 12s are a safe bet. Even the guy at the shop where I got mine a few weeks ago said the same thing.

I prefer the phosphor bronze variety, at least I did on my old Hohner, so when I get my first new set, that's the way I'll be going. Not 100% on the guage or the brand just yet.

Also, those Yamaha strings are coated, so there's another variable to throw into the mix.

• Members

The strings that came on my son's FG700S were standard lights. They didn't appear/feel coated, though. We've since tried Martin SP (phos-bronze) lights, which sounded good but didn't last (very humid and near salt water where I live though). We then put Elixer Nanos on (lights), and they've lasted a few months. For coated strings, I prefer the D'Addario EXPs over the Elixer Nanos (the Nanos are almost "overcoated", and have a slightly strange sound/ring to them). However, the Nanos (on my son's guitar) have outlasted the EXPs (on mine).

Archived