Taylor 214

Sandman31774

• Members

Tell me your likes/ dislikes of this guitar...I played one very briefly in a store the other day. Sounded very nice. Played nice. Has solid top but laminate back/sides. I'm mainly an electric player but looking to downsize and do more acoustic stuff. I"m looking to go $1000 maximum. Any other brands in this price range that you recommend? what are your favorites?

• Members

I have the Taylor 114 and it's my main guitar. I love the neck and it has the best action of just about any guitar I have ever owned. I've had it for almost 2 years now and it's really sounding great and I have never had any problems with it. The only thing I am thinking about swapping are the machine heads. Mine was one of the last ones made in California I think.

Another good brand to look at is Tanglewood. I have fallen in love with the TW115-AS. Really sweet neck profile and excellent fretwork. Very well made with lovely Grover tuners and inlay work. The tone is heavenly. :love: I hear that the all solid wood TW115-NS is even better.

• Members

I own the 214 with no electronics...I think you would be making a wise choice...mine sounds better everyday...it is a 2004 all wood...bought it used for 450.00...sitka top and african mahogany back and sides...thats what Ben at Taylor told me anyway...it is a Grand Autorium so it is not as big as a dred. Has a very narrow waste...I like the smaller size...a dred has more volume but this has better mids and highs...it rings and the bass notes are plenty strong enough. It also is very light. Much lighter than most guitars I've played so ya need to be careful with it becasue it will dent or scratch easy. But because it is light is another reason I like it so much. Satin finish which I like better than gloss also. I also played a new 214 with laminate sides and back...sounded just as good. But it does feel better to say all wood...I don't know why...ego I suppose...

If I were to get another dred it would be the Taylor Dn3...I have played every model I could get my hands on and the Dn3 was pure guitar. About 1000.00 for it so either way your in business.

Good luck

• Members

A Dn3 at 700.00 is a great deal. It is the best sounding dred I have heard...Of course I haven't heard them all but wow it was real good...

IDK what size the guy wants...the 214 is smaller...Dn3 is all wood if that is a concern for him but still the 214 with lam sides and back sounds real good too.

Saw a used DN3 at GC the other day tagged at $700. I'd do that over the 1xx/2xx, but you have to decice what is right for you. A used 314CE will go for around $1000 if you find one a couple years old in good condition.

Good luck!

• Members

I'm a Martin lover but I do own 2 Taylors. I own the 214 from 2004 when it was still made with all wood. I believe 2006 is the last year it was all wood before it went laminate. Call Taylor they will tell you the final year of all wood. When the guitars went laminate they also brought the price down too.

I got my 214 on ebay for 500 (bought it from a guy in the Phantom Planet group). Very nice guitar. I really like it.

I also have a DN3 for 1000. Gloss top but no gloss on back and sides. A very good guitar in the D-15 Martin range. I'm very happy with it.

Also have the

• Members

I have the 114 as well, and it's my number 1. I've played the 214 also and here are my opinions:

Most of the differences between the 114 and 214 are aesthetic and therefore differ between players. I like the subtler look of the sapele with black bindings, but the 214 looks very much like the GA9 series (at 1/6 the cost) and has its own appeal. The tone of the 214 is a little deeper with more muted highs (for the same type, gauge and age of strings used), while keeping the focused "Taylor tone".

The main advantage of the 214 over the 114 is that it's made in the USA. The 114 is made in the Mexican factory that also produces Taylor's cases and gig bags. This means the 214s have a little better attention to detail and quality (though the Mexis certainly do not slouch in that regard).

The electronics packages used in both levels, though a "budget" version of the full Expression System, are the best and most transparent of any guitar in this range that I've played. You plug in a Taylor 100 or 200 and you will get the sound of a Taylor 100 or 200, just more. Some amp tweaking is necessary, however; the amped tone can be very treble-heavy, so to make it most closely match the unamped tone you'll want a bit more bass and a bit less treble. Like all Taylors with preamps, the external look is very subtle; three knobs just above the neck on the side of the upper bout.

Archived