Anyone else hate bridge pins?

Stackabones

• Members

Stupid things they are. They just sit there with lifeless blank expressions like soldiers standing at attention. I'm going to paint facial expressions on mine and make various little hats for them like ball caps, helmets, stetsons, bowlers, yarmulkes, turbans and such. This could be big. I might even make fake ones for my classical. Oh, yea, I can see a big market for this. Imagine little Barbie Doll pins for pink guitars.

• Members

Why doesn't somebody make acoustic flat tops with through the body string mounting like they do on some semi hollow bodies?

BigAl:)

PS: I don't like bridge pins either...ever shoot one right out of the bridge?

Breedlove isn't through-body but it is through-bridge. I must admit it looks cleaner but the mechanics of how strings are retained don't dwell on me. One of the reasons I bought GHS nickel-wound classical strings is because changing those puppies is a PITA. I've has these strings on for at least 6 months now and they look brand new.

• Members

At the moment there are no bridge pins in my domestic vicinity. And I find myself missing that guitar something fierce. It"ll be back soon tho! Better playing than it's been for years.

But I'm not hatin' on you haterz. I have nothing but :love: in my

• Members

Why all the hateration, yo?
:D

Seriously though, why do you guys dislike them? I have no quarrel with them, and I'm curious.

It's a class thing, I suspect. You know, serfs, lords, kings and such. Just a wild guess. Or, it's a modern abomination of sorts. I'm just reaching here because I can't think of any real disadvantage to their use. Looks? Stack's had this opinion for a long time. It swells up in him periodically. He'll get past it. He always does.

• Members

It's a
class
thing, I suspect. You know, serfs, lords, kings and such. Just a wild guess. Or, it's a modern abomination of sorts. I'm just reaching here because I can't think of any real disadvantage to their use. Looks? Stack's had this opinion for a long time. It swells up in him periodically. He'll get past it. He always does.

He's just jealous cuz he can't have cool ones like these...:p

Rainbow%20pins.jpg

• Members

Let me count the ways...

I love them in the morning

I love them in the night

I love them when I'm fumbling

and they skitter out of sight

I love them in the sound hole

as I hold it upside down

and listen to them rattle

as they all roll round and round

I love them sticking in the bridge

claw hammer makes quick work

by prying one against the next

and lifting with a jerk

alas I always end with just the one left standing

nothing left to pry against and a promise for some sanding

I steel myself to try again and take a different tac

but I've even filled the body with sand and tried an auto jack

Now strings come in a six-pack just like that favorite beverage

So I even try a bottle cap to help me with the leverage

It's not to be I am afraid as long as I'm alive

I'll never change that sixth string out

but only change the five

:idea:So if I alternate the starting pin the strings won't all look old

and at any given time a different string goes cold

At last I have my system and my playing it does thrive

my only wish is that Musician's Friend could

stock me packs of five

• Members

I don't have a problem with them. They never pop out if you know how to string the things right. Just put a 90-degree bend in the string right above the ball. The string goes down and the bend goes toward the neck right below the soundboard. Put the pin in snugly and it'll hold perfectly.

• Members

I don't have a problem with them. They never pop out if you know how to string the things right. Just put a 90-degree bend in the string right above the ball. The string goes down and the bend goes toward the neck right below the soundboard. Put the pin in snugly and it'll hold perfectly.

Yea, try that 90 degree bend on a .056 low E. I'm lucky to get half that. I use needle nose pliers but don't want to leave any marks on it that might do some gouging on the bridge plate. Still, only a shallow bend works fine.

• Members

I have one of each, and really have no preference either way. It's a little easier to change strings with a pinless bridge, but I haven't found pins to be any trouble at all, and it provides a cheap way of tinkering with the guitar's tone (ref: Freeman's Pin Test on the Annex), which you can't do with a pinless bridge. Obviously a much larger choice in guitars if you go with pins.

Archived