NGD (New Grevens Day) w/pics

rjoxyz

• Members

I recently posted about my new Stanford PSOM10 and PSD28. I mentioned ordering a Greven replacement pickguard for the dread as the stock dalmation pattern looked out of place. Someone asked me to post pics with the new pickguard. Well, I ended up getting a Greven for the OM too.

These guitars continue to amaze me every time I pick them up. They are taking a lot of playing time away from my "go to" guitars. The dread seems to really like Curt Magnan PB 13's after switching from D'Addario and then Martin SP's. The OM sounds great with Martin FX and SP fingerstyle 12's in PB.

Here are the "before and after" shots. The Greven on the dread is a Martin vintage 50's pattern. The OM pattern is "medium tortoise". They are very nice, and photos don't really tell the whole story.

Before:

StanfordsPickguard-1.jpg

After:

Grevens.jpg

• Members

Much, much better, Randy. The "dalmatian" pickguards make the Stanfords look cheesy, IMO, and, as Big Al said, the Grevens make them look much classier.

I put the Greven Vintage 50's OM on my Eastman. Looks great with the RW sides. The only issue is that it doesn't perfectly match the circumference of the rosette.

Bill

• Members

Much, much better, Randy. The "dalmatian" pickguards make the Stanfords look cheesy, IMO, and, as Big Al said, the Grevens make them look much classier.

I put the Greven Vintage 50's OM on my Eastman. Looks great with the RW sides. The only issue is that it doesn't perfectly match the circumference of the rosette.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

After measuring, I determined I needed the D-45 version for the dread and it fits perfectly. The OM version was not exact in its radius/circumference, but looks fine unless you are flyspecking it. I could have done some re-shaping, but was afraid of screwing it up.

I like the Vintage 50s' on the dread, but actually think the "medium tortoise" on the OM is more akin to actual tortoise shell patterns. They are both big improvements, though I have ordered a couple Martin guards with nicely beveled edges that would have done the trick too, at about 1/3 the price.

I think the greatest benefit of the Grevens is the shape and pattern options available.

• Members

Thanks for the compliments, but you risk giving Frank ideas. ;)

As a footnote, I learned a couple things replacing these pickguards, despite having done it a couple times before. One thing I learned is how thin and delicate the nitro finish is on the dread. Another, is to keep the hairdryer going as you peel back the guard. I actually popped a couple small sections of single spruce grains through the finish. :facepalm: They went back down pretty flat and the Greven covered them. I was more careful on the OM.

Archived