Shubb Capo. Big disappointment.

Brokepick

• Members

Two things:

I've got a Guild with a baseball bat neck. On that guitar I use the Shubb upside down and it works fine.

Also, it's entirely possible there's too much tension. If you've got it on too tight it may spring loose.

• Members

I use a Planet Waves NS and place it just behind the fret (almost overlapping with the fret). The strings bend almost not at all and have no effect on the tuning.

Do others place it this close? The low profile of the NS seems to make this a reasonable option. Also, I have the screw on the base string side (the pictures from GC show it on the treble string side). Do others do this as well?

My only worry is that I'm putting too much pressure on the fret. Is this a concern?

I place it about as close (maybe a little closer) than the capo in this picture (bottom):

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Acessories/Capo/capo1.html

• Members

I use an NS, and I place it not quite half way between frets. I can dial in just enough pressure to fret the strings, and yet not make them go sharp. Good even pressure on all six strings, and it doesn't interfere with my left hand. Works great on all my gits, even my 12'er.

BTW, both of the NS's I have bought were a little balky and quirky until I put a drop of machine oil in the adjustment screw and in the mechanism. Now they work smooth as silk. :thu:

• Members

Had 'em before, just bought a new one last week. They were outta Paige's and I needed a capo. I don't like spring clamps, no matter what. Never tried a G7, but the ones I've seen, I'd like to try one. Now, I like Shubb's well enough, and would recommend them to anyone. I can't understand why it won't work on the Taylor unless it is not adjusted properly or defective. Thn again, it just may not be your capo. Let us know how it turns out.

• Members

I have a Kyser, Dunlop, and a Shubb. And the Shubb is my absolute favorite of the three. I have no idea how it could be popping off, regardless of what shape your neck is. I use my capo on my Martins, and my old Taylor 810, and I capo as high as the 9th fret and even then I have no problems. How thick is that neck of yours?!?!

• Members

Ok, I just took a look at the Shubb capo on their website. It seems a bit more bulky (and slightly more complicated) than the Planet Waves NS. Have folks compared the two?

Depends upon the size of the picture you're looking at and the angle it was taken from. :lol:

They're both pretty much the same in terms of size/bulk (Minimal and easily fit into a small pocket) and complexity, unless you compare a Shubb to Planet Waves' larger (Multi levered) NS Dual Action.

Archived