OT: dabbling back on the dark side

kwakatak

• Members

I didn't want to hijack Mel's thread about dabbling on the dim side but I figure that this would sink like a lead balloon over at HCEG.

I just got my Strat back from the shop last week and have been getting reacquainted with it. I gave up playing it so much because I fell into an SRV "rut" but sometimes it's fun to just let loose and bask in the tone of a Strat through a tube amp. Here I had my Hot Rod Deluxe set on the clean channel with the volume to 4 so that the tone just starts to "break up" without any overdrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOIWhlTF14

I've also been playing it without a pick doing some Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler stuff. I don't have much original stuff on electric though.

• Members

In electric gits, I have owned a vintage Fender Mustang, a Les Paul, Washburn strat copy, Washburn Ivory Eagle, a Fender Tele.

I have owned a Gretsch Electromatic (1950s vintage), ES335, Epiphone DOT 335 with Gibson hardware and vintage soap-bars.

Ukuleles... I have a dozen right now, and more to come. Acoustic guitars, way too many to mention.

Other instruments: bow psaltery (Unicorn Strings) that I recently sold. Tons of harmonicas, recorders, pennywhistles, renaissance flute, three different keyboards, half a dozen or so drums, tons of percussion instruments.

I am now thinking about another Tele...

It never really does leave us... it's all about making music.

• Members

I love my electric guitar. I love the feel, the little curvy body snuggled up in my arms, the light touch on the fretboard, and all the cool bendy sounds and rhythms and sustain. Fun, fun guitar.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. :D

• Members

Great stuff. You're playing pick-less...looks like you're doing the Stephen Stills thing where you use your thumb and index finger as if you were holding a pick...is that what you're doing?

• Members

Neil, even though I am in the beginning stages of my musical adventure, I spend just as much time playing my electric as my acoustic. BTW I checked some of your toob videos and wanted to commend you on a few. Hold you in my arms, Sinners Prayer, and of course, Learning to walk. Dude. Get out that milk crate and get your butt out to the supermarket, bring the kids and teach em to clap or dance, They are cute. Spend one hour and see what you get. You will have that D-35 by the end of Summer. It's spring man, get outside and meet the people!

Archived