To the buskers...

oolceeoo

• Members

I have some questions. What is better to perform on the street with, a set list or improvisation? Truth is I want to see if I'm any good and I figured the only way to do this was to get my a** out and try some busking. I've listened to some truly amazing buskers in the cities, some don't have much cash in their case while others I'm actually quite shocked at how much is in there even if its all $1. I'm aware that some will put money in the case to draw more, but there were some buskers who were truly outstanding that deserved the cash.

I realized just how much guts it takes to busk. You are totally exposed and naked and I have great respect for those who do it. It's like you don't know if the people walking by are listening to you or not. The only way you know someone is listening is if they throw you a dime. You don't have the same 'audience' that a show would afford you, and it seems like a 'rite of passage' in the musician's world.

So what made you overcome your shyness or inhibitions to busk?

• Members

I have some questions. What is better to perform on the street with, a set list or improvisation?

Just like at my "legit" gigs, I have a set-list but always seem to deviate from it, for the most part.

Also, if you're doing well and attracting a good audience, you may well be causing a blockage of the sidewalk, which will get you very negative attention from the cops. so you need to do sets of maybe 5 songs (sometimes less), just to keep foot traffic flowing.

And, it's absolute a must to know what the rules are where you're busking...sometimes you need a permit, for instance...City Hall can tell you, though

Truth is I want to see if I'm any good and I figured the only way to do this was to get my a** out and try some busking.

Excellent training for the stage.
:thu:

I've listened to some truly amazing buskers in the cities, some don't have much cash in their case while others I'm actually quite shocked at how much is in there even if its all $1. I'm aware that some will put money in the case to draw more, but there were some buskers who were truly outstanding that deserved the cash.

Always
put a little in the case or tip jar...I've done it both ways! For some reason, nobody wants to be the 1st tipper...

Also, it's an interesting phenomenon that if you put change in, you'll most get change...if you put $1 bills in, you'll most get $1 bills...but, if you put in a $10, you get all kinds of demoninations, occ. up to C-notes!
:eek:

I realized just how much guts it takes to busk. You are totally exposed and naked and I have great respect for those who do it. It's like you don't know if the people walking by are listening to you or not. The only way you know someone is listening is if they throw you a dime. You don't have the same 'audience' that a show would afford you, and it seems like a 'rite of passage' in the musician's world.

In my case, desperation...it was 1979 and I was touring/living out of my Econoline E-150, playing places all over the map in N. America and Canada, and I got to a week-long club gig in Cleveland, Ohio...unfortunately, the club had been shut down a few says before due to a kitchen fire and nobody contacted me.

My next booking was in Tennessee, 10 days in the future, and I had about $50 and most of a tank of gas to my name, having spent a lot on vehicular issues just a week prior. And, after spending a couple of hours trying to get my guaranty (no such luck), I was pretty concerned!

Getting hungry, I stopped at a bar-b-que stand for some lunch, and was talking to the proprieter, and eventually I was telling my Tale of Woe. The proprieter suggested that I play some music and see what might happen, as there was a lot of foot-traffic around there.

I plugged in my little PA (a Carvin 4-channel 100watter) and proceeded to do just that, and I quickly figured out that the more
risque
(within limits, of course) the song I sang, and the better and wilder the stories I told between songs, the better the $$$ flowed...also, the audience hung around and bought bar-b-q, drinks and such, which made that proprieter very pleased.

By the time the lunch crowd thinned out, I'd made close to $70, and the proprieter wanted to know if I was game to do it all again from 6 til 9 (prime dinner time) that night, and if I would, he'd keep me well supplied w/ soda and chow
gratis

Dinnertime was a little better, even, and when it came time to shut the stand down for the night, the proprieter offered to let me park my Econoline right beside his trailer, gave me access to his shower and bathroom, and we'd do it again tomorrow.

I ended up doing that for the rest of the week, until it was time to leave for my gig in Tennessee, and afterwards, whenever I was in the vacinity, and had some downtime, I knew I could busk and eat bar-b-q.

Eventually, I struck similar deals in various other places, and still have a deal like this at Trader's Village, a huge fleamarket in Grand Prairie, TX., about 50 miles from my home.
:)

Hope this is of some help! :)

• Members

So your set list or 'show' should only be 15 minutes? (5 songs 2-3 minutes in length) From what I understand the busker starts to play his 'show', drawing an audience. Once he has the audience, he has to 'build' them by entertaining them and keeping their attention. Then at the end of the 'show' you ask for appreciation (donations, tips, etc.) This all should happen in 10-15 minutes provided the place you pitch allows it? So really you don't need a long act to busk?

• Members

So your set list or 'show' should only be 15 minutes? (5 songs 2-3 minutes in length) From what I understand the busker starts to play his 'show', drawing an audience. Once he has the audience, he has to 'build' them by entertaining them and keeping their attention. Then at the end of the 'show' you ask for appreciation (donations, tips, etc.) This all should happen in 10-15 minutes provided the place you pitch allows it? So really you don't need a long act to busk?

That's the norm, yeah, but it's going to vary, depending on location. If you're not drawing a big enough crowd to impede foot traffic, you can play longer "sets", and sometimes just a few songs 'll cause a traffic jam. Gotta pay attention to the audience build-up.

Here's some handy websites you might find useful: http://www.stiffarmingsociety.com/busking/

http://www.roadjunky.com/guide/121/busking-and-street-music-guide

• Members

I feel like I'm ready to gig. I've spent far too long playing to Madison Square Bedroom's four walls. To that end, I've finally paired down to two really nice acoustics, and a small PA setup. I'm learning to work the mic while I finalize the setlist (20's and 30's country blues).

To that end, I've started pseudo-busking. I'm heading down to the waterfront on sunny days and practicing. It's been great for me. I use to have performance anxiety, but being out amongst the people and playing has been great for that. I've stopped a few people (including a few pretty young things) in their tracks with a couple of lucky notes. It's been a great confidence booster.

I'm doing this with books open, and case closed. So far, with as many people who have stopped and set for a few songs, no one has offered me a nickle. They could be picking up on the case being closed...or I could be hugely deluding myself that there's entertainment to be made by gigging solo acoustic blues around this town! I have gotten a lot of compliments though.

Get out there and play!

:thu:

Edit: I never really addressed your questions. Get a setlist up. Don't ever be afraid to deviate from it. If cute milf walks by, I always jump into Buddy Guy's Mary Had a Little Lamb. Stuff like that. Little kid walks by, skip the dirty verse. Be adaptable. Work the crowd that's in front of you at the moment.

As far as getting out there, it's music. Let he who has a voice sing out loud... or something. (I'm not at all religious, but that's a bible verse (I think) that I can stand by). Let other people hear it. You may be surprised by what and who you inspire!

• Members

A lot of factors go into how much money you make busking and very little of it has to do with how good you are...Come to think of it that's how the music industry is in general. For example if you busk some place where people come and go quickly...like a subway station that has a train come every 3 minutes...you'll make less than a slower stop because people won't have the time to pay attention to you. And of course a rich stop like near Wall Street or the Upper East Side might do better than Harlem.

I remember they did an experiment somewhere where they had a symphony virtuoso competing with an average violin player busking and the average guy got way more money based on other factors.

• Members

From experience, if you want to make money then play popular things that people recognise - I remember playing Cavatina, romanza (yuk) , the Beatles, over and over - people love it. The other thing is where you locate yourself and how you project (helps to have a battery amp) - its easy to get intimidated - it can be a huge audience afterall. Go for it - Ive made healthy amounts of money in the past!

• Members

I have some questions. What is better to perform on the street with, a set list or improvisation? Truth is I want to see if I'm any good and I figured the only way to do this was to get my a** out and try some busking. I've listened to some truly amazing buskers in the cities, some don't have much cash in their case while others I'm actually quite shocked at how much is in there even if its all $1. I'm aware that some will put money in the case to draw more, but there were some buskers who were truly outstanding that deserved the cash.

Don't set your ability scale to the level of your money intake while busking, especially in this economy.

You are right about some amazing talent busking.

• Members

Shamu-- Open the case, put in a little seed money, see what happens. What's to lose? Seed Money-- As said, some folks don't know if it's "OK" to put a little sump'n in the pot. Others see an empty case as a sign you suck and pass on by. Think of it as promotion. Set list?-- Yes, something to hold your act together and keep things moving, but don't be afraid to leave it. More imporant is to try to learn some standards, some currantly popular songs... Your best tips will come from honoring requests. I made a lot of money off "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the Old Oak Tree", much to my everlasting shame. But it was the difference between steak for dinner or Raman noodles again. 15 minute set-- People are moving along, so they won't hang around anyway. You don't want to be rousted for being a nuisance. You want to churn the crowd once in a while, as new people=more tips. You can learn a lot busking.

• Members

I don't busk much anymore, but when I used to I found that doing recognizable songs in different styles would get peoples' attention and usually get a laugh and some change. The trick is that it has to be good! for example, I would play the familiar "Romanza" piece, (by an "anonymous" Narciso Yepes) and after finishing the regular version, I would play it again, but in a farruca-flamenco style.

Also, songs that are relevant to the moment, if it is sprinkling, the beatles' "here comes the sun" would certainly earn a few bucks, if you see a family with kids walking down, bust out a few nursery rhymes set to music (see: Loius Jordan, School days). This next one is crazy, but the song, "In the year 2525" for some reason gets tons of money if you ham it up a bit.

just be sure to intersperse your serious playing with some other lighter things that will attract people's interests. All seriousness doesn't work well, there is the story of Joshua Bell, the world famous violin player who busked in the NYC subway to some very well known Classical pieces and only earned $25, 20 of which came from a guy who recognized him...

• Members

I think it helps if you've got a "gimic".

I was vacationing in Germany, 20 years ago. I was in Ulm one day and a young guy showed up on a downtown street corner with a guitar and a marionette of a court jester that was suspended from a nylon string attached to a hook that was in the sound hole of his guitar. The marionette was about two feet tall. The marionette's feet were fastened to the toes of the guitarist's shoes with velcro and the marionette's hands had nylon strings attached to the guitarist's hands. Every move the guitarist made were mimicked by the marionette. Very clever act.

The guy had quite obviously spent a lot of time perfecting his act, because he was making money hand over fist. All of his songs were in English. I got a chance to talk to him. He was an American, ex-GI who had been living in Germany since he was discharged 10 years previous to this. This was how he made his living.

He told me his wife was German and had a good job, but she didn't make nearly as much money as he did playing and singing on the street with his marionette.

Taped to the back of his guitar, he had a typed set list of about 30 songs. He told me he does just about the same songs everyday, but to a different crowd. He told me he works about five 4-hour days each week, nine months a year, and works the cafes in the winter time! Said he makes lots more working the street.

IMO it sure beats working for a living!!

I thanked him for taking the time to talk to me and dropped a 10 Marc bill in his guitar case (about $5 at the time).

Always thought I'd like to do the same thing, but I don't have the guts it takes to pull it off.

• Members

Living and working in Chicago, I take CTA trains into the downtown area. Taking the Red Line, I get off at the Lake street station (the heart of downtown). Mid to late mornings, there is a Black guy sometimes with someone who sings harmonies. It's a very busy station. Trains come every 5 to 10 minutes. As many times as I've been through that station, I don't think the guy has played more than 10 different songs. Since the crowd is so transient, he doesn't have to have a long play list and he seems to do pretty well. A couple of weeks ago, I was there when there were crowds heading to a Cubs game (that line goes right to Wrigley Field). The platform was just loaded with people and the guy was really cleaning up.

No real point, just mentioning a type of location that would probably pay off pretty well.

• Members

Terry Allan Hall

As per your usual, lots of great advice in all that.............

You know I think you need to put out a book with your experiences, and gift for telling the story I think it would be a great read! I would buy one!

(And since your journey is still ongoing maybe it could be a series!)

• Members

I think it helps if you've got a "gimic".

Yes indeed, as proved by the most famous and most successful busker of all time!

Who??? Why, The Naked Cowboy, of course!

http://www.nakedcowboy.com/akki/

(If you don't know this guy, please do yourself a favor and click the link. Anyone who has traveled to Manhattan over the last decade will know him!)

• Members

As per your usual, lots of great advice in all that.............

You know I think you need to put out a book with your experiences, and gift for telling the story I think it would be a great read! I would buy one!

(And since your journey is still ongoing maybe it could be a series!)

Thanks, but I'm not sure it'd be all that interesting. :)

• Members

Also, songs that are relevant to the moment, if it is sprinkling, the beatles' "here comes the sun" would certainly earn a few bucks, if you see a family with kids walking down, bust out a few nursery rhymes set to music (see: Loius Jordan, School days). This next one is crazy, but the song, "In the year 2525" for some reason gets tons of money if you ham it up a bit.

Kind of like when my friend and I were playing on a pier in So. Cal. At midnight the cops come to get everyone off the pier and close the gates. As they came up to "shoo" us away, we started playing "Ohio". One of the cops smiled and said "Man, give us a break"

• Members

Ya know, writing something that helps one void one's bowels has long been a secret fantasy...
:p

Terry I figured that on would get somekind of a comment from you for certain!

I just could not help myself

• Members

Kind of like when my friend and I were playing on a pier in So. Cal. At midnight the cops come to get everyone off the pier and close the gates. As they came up to "shoo" us away, we started playing "Ohio". One of the cops smiled and said "Man, give us a break"

I like that:thu:

• Members

Being stone broke, on the street, and hungry.

Archived