New to AG- old to everywhere else

Kramerguy

• Members

Hey folks, here to ask advice on acoustic guitars...

I mostly play electric, classic to modern rock, etc...

Started an acoustic project on the side, currently using a modeller pedal to simulate acoustic from my electric, which I'm sure you all know is passable to anyone who doesn't know better... but not really acceptable for consistent gigs going forward.

Money is tight, times are hard..

So I'm scouting around for a decent acoustic. Not the $99 Ibanez I bought my wife to learn on.. but something that had at least passable action and half-decent sound. I like the ovations, they sound pretty cool, but cost $500+ for anything outside the intro models. I'd much rather pay $200 for a used same model, you know?

So, I hear a lot of stuff about spruce tops, quilted tops, or something, I really don't know much about these things, so I'm looking for advice.. I'm basically looking for the best bang for the buck in the $150-$200 range on used acoustics.. so what brands/models/features should I be looking for? Only part I know is an absolute is that I need acoustic/electric. Whether or not it has a tuner built in doesn't concern me.

Thanks!

• Members

Welcome to our neck of the HC woods, Kramerguy! :wave:

IMO those modeler pedals are simulating the sound of the Ovation's electronics. For some reason, that has become the default "acoustic" sound that the pedals try to get.

In your range, I'd recommend an older Takamine. For years I used (and still use) a Takamine EF340 with the electronics already in it. This is one is pretty close to your budget. You may also check around ebay. The older Taks have pretty good systems in them ... and the new ones aren't too shabby either.

In general, you get less of a guitar when you already have electronics pre-installed. The money has to go somewhere, and some of that money won't go to the wood. Capiche?

Got any mics? ;)

EDIT: Just thought about this thread. I've noticed that JJB Electronics has been popping up around here lately and getting good reviews. If you could extend your budget just a bit for one of those systems, then I'd recommend the Yamaha FG700S. I've played a bunch these at stores and my students have them -- you just won't find a better solid top git for $200. It's crazy how consistently good they are.

• Members

Welcome to our neck of the HC woods, Kramerguy!
:wave:

IMO those modeler pedals are simulating the sound of the Ovation's electronics. For some reason, that has become the default "acoustic" sound that the pedals try to get.

In your range, I'd recommend an older Takamine. For years I used (and still use) a Takamine EF340 with the electronics already in it. This is
one
is pretty close to your budget. You may also check around ebay. The older Taks have pretty good systems in them ... and the new ones aren't too shabby either.

In general, you get less of a guitar when you already have electronics pre-installed. The money has to go somewhere, and some of that money won't go to the wood.
Capiche
?

Got any mics?
;)

EDIT: Just thought about this
thread
. I've noticed that
JJB Electronics
has been popping up around here lately and getting good reviews. If you could extend your budget just a bit for one of those systems, then I'd recommend the
Yamaha FG700S
. I've played a bunch these at stores and my students have them -- you just won't find a better solid top git for $200. It's crazy how consistently good they are.

Yeah, I thought about going the non-elec route, but it's too much a pain to mic the acoustic in live situations constantly.

Thanks for the info, I will try to play some Takamine and Yamahas and see if anything works.

• Members

Thanks for the info, I will try to play some Takamine and Yamahas and see if anything works.

Yamahas are great in your price range brand spanking new. Highly recommend giving them a good look. Also rangerrick suggests Seagull and Simon Patrick- also good suggestions. For clarification, Seagull and Simon Patrick (also Art and Lutherie) are both under the parent company Godin- anything by them is worth a look.

Also worth checking out but perhaps a little spottier in the QC department (always try before you buy if possible, IMO): Washburn and Ibanez for your $200-$400 range, Epiphone Masterbilt and Blueridge for your $400-$800.

• Members

You're getting great advice here, Kramerguy. Takamine and Yamaha would be my first stops, followed by Seagull. However, a couple of years ago I bought a $199 Ibanez V70CE for my students to use, and I'll be damned if it doesn't play and sound just fine, especially plugged in, and it has taken a lot of abuse without a whimper.

• Members

Try a few Seagulls or Simon Patricks, used should be be in that price range

Good suggestions! I have a Seagull S6+CW (same as an S6+, but with a cutaway) and I love the way it sounds. You should be able to find an S6 for $200 to $250 used without any trouble. Art & Lutherie and Simon & Patrick are both good suggestions as well, since they come from the same parent company that owns Seagull. They're made in Canada, and I'd much rather buy Canadian than Chinese. That's just me, though. There are plenty of good instruments that are made in China, and I own a few.

In general, solid wood will almost always sound better than laminate, so try to look for something with a solid top. Solid back and sides would be nice as well, though they don't affect the sound nearly as much as the top does. Spruce and maple typically sound brighter, while mahogany and cedar sound a bit more mellow.

On the subject of electronics, you're probably better off buying a microphone or an after-market pickup system and installing it yourself. You'll probably pay a little bit more for it that way, but you'll ensure that you'll get both a quality guitar and good electronics. In my experience, lower-priced A/E guitars are low priced because either:

A) The guitar itself is of lower quality

or

B) The electronics are of lower quality

If you can find one that's in your price range, some Seagulls come with simple LR Baggs pickup systems. The sound quality will be quite good, but you won't have much in the way of tone controls---usually just volume and presence.

• Members

Here are a couple of possibilities from yor local Craigslist:
Takamine G240 http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/1210521400.html. Pretty decent for an all-laminated guitar. Sold new for $240, going for $150 with a case, strap, and capo.
Aria (unknown model) http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1210013927.html. I'd feel better recommending this one if I knew the model, specs, etc. but Aria typically makes a nice guitar. Might be worth a look. Going for $150 negotiable with a case.
Note that neither of these has a pickup installed but at $150 you should have enough left to install one. Beyond the recommendations that have already been made, consider the Fishman Neo-D.

• Members

thanks for all the suggestions guys-

I stopped at the store yesterday and played a ton of acoustics up to the $349 models, and oddly enough, I didn't care for any of the ibanez models, the neck profile just wasn't a good feel, and the ovation I didn't care for, but the cheap "applause" model AE-128 felt good lol. and sounded fair. Not as good as some of the higher end ibanez models, but not terrible either. They say a lot of the tone is in the fingers

The only Takamine they had was $449 so I didn't bother.

I don't care for adding the electronics after the fact - so I'm going to stick with what I can get with them built in.

I've been scouring CL for the last few days ... will keep looking for that magical match, but can always fall back on that applause model in the short term.

• Members

If you liked the Applause, why didn't you go for it? :idk: It's in your budget and it felt right. Perhaps you should look at other thinline acoustics? They won't hold up to most acoustics in an acoustic-only situation, but your main concern seems to be plugged-in/gig use. Go for it!

• Members

the cheap "applause" model AE-128 felt good lol. and sounded fair. Not as good as some of the higher end ibanez models, but not terrible either.

DISCLAIMER: My personal beef with Ovation-style guitars is their unremarkable unplugged sound. That kind of guitar wouldn't be appropriate for me because I do a lot of playing in purely acoustic settings- bluegrass jam sessions, tiny coffeehouse engagements, etc. I need a guitar that is a little more robust unplugged, and I also happen to prefer the plugged-in sound of my K&K Pure Western Mini and Fishman Rare Earth to the stock stuff in Ovations.

THAT SAID: A lot of primarily-electric guys like Ovation-style guitars for their playability, thinness, and plugged-in sound. You mentioned in your first post that you liked Ovation, so it seems to me that you should narrow down your search to an Ovation (almost certainly used) or an Applause (probably new) within your budget. If it feels like it's a good fit for you, it probably is. No matter what stickler traditionalists like me might say.

I agree with Stack, in short.

• Members

DISCLAIMER:
My personal beef with Ovation-style guitars is their unremarkable unplugged sound. That kind of guitar wouldn't be appropriate for me because I do a lot of playing in purely acoustic settings- bluegrass jam sessions, tiny coffeehouse engagements, etc. I need a guitar that is a little more robust unplugged, and I also happen to prefer the plugged-in sound of my K&K Pure Western Mini and Fishman Rare Earth to the stock stuff in Ovations.

THAT SAID:
A lot of primarily-electric guys like Ovation-style guitars for their playability, thinness, and plugged-in sound. You mentioned in your first post that you liked Ovation, so it seems to me that you should narrow down your search to an Ovation (almost certainly used) or an Applause (probably new) within your budget. If it feels like it's a good fit for you, it probably is. No matter what stickler traditionalists like me might say.

My beef w/ Ovation is that their round, bowl-shaped back conflicts badly with my round, bowl-shaped belly.

Eventually, I look like a slide player w/out a slide.

• Members

DISCLAIMER:
My personal beef with Ovation-style guitars is their unremarkable unplugged sound. That kind of guitar wouldn't be appropriate for me because I do a lot of playing in purely acoustic settings- bluegrass jam sessions, tiny coffeehouse engagements, etc. I need a guitar that is a little more robust unplugged, and I also happen to prefer the plugged-in sound of my K&K Pure Western Mini and Fishman Rare Earth to the stock stuff in Ovations.

THAT SAID:
A lot of primarily-electric guys like Ovation-style guitars for their playability, thinness, and plugged-in sound. You mentioned in your first post that you liked Ovation, so it seems to me that you should narrow down your search to an Ovation (almost certainly used) or an Applause (probably new) within your budget. If it feels like it's a good fit for you, it probably is. No matter what stickler traditionalists like me might say.

Very insightful, thanks. And yes, I'm interested in it solely for the amplified sound and playability. Ovations sound nice plugged in, and yes, a bit crappy unplugged haha.

I found a nice celebrity model on CL for $275, I'm trying to see if I can look at it tonight.

• Members

This is a little to late since it ends shortly, but you may be able to find a very nice Crafter close to your budget. They make some nice guitars for not much money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crafter-Electric-Acoustic-Guitar-DE8-DE8-N_W0QQitemZ260429493358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ca2ceb46e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is another that is new, a little above your budget, but a fine guitar with a very nice pickup system. Solid engleman spruce top which is very desirable and it even includes a built in tuner. Most of the Crafters have a neck that is very similar in shape to a Taylor neck, which makes for a very playable guitar. For the money the lower end Crafters are hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crafter-T035-N-Orchestra-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ260421211725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ca250564d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Archived