Cost to adjust action

• Members

Go to The Annex, click on "Tech Stuff" and then on "Is My Guitar Sick?" It will explain the measurements you need to take to determine your guitar's action at present, along with any other adjustments you need to make (such as the truss rod). If it's high at the nut, you'll want to take it to a tech. If it's high at the saddle, you can do that yourself. Measure the action at the 12th fret and determine how much too high it is. Remember to measure after you've humidified the guitar and adjusted the truss rod (if necessary in both cases). Then take the saddle out and sand twice that amount off the bottom of the saddle using sandpaper on a flat surface. Reinstall the saddle and put on new strings. You're done. All this is part of what is known as a "setup." Prices vary but $75 is pretty much at the upper end.

• Members

A setup should cost about $50 in the Northeast. I go to a guy in NYC and he charges me $45 for a setup (nut & saddle, check frets, fretboard cleaning, neck relief, new strings).

GW348 has a point. I'd look for a local guitar tech or luthier before going to GC or SMASH. If there is a Mom& Pop music store in your area that sells guitars they'd probably be a better bet.

• Members

10-4 on being careful where you take your git...get some local recommendations from folks you know and trust.

SA and GC would not be high on my list of places to take my babies!

Down here in FL, the services you mention from a quality luthier about $40 + cost of new strings.

• Members

Thanks a lot everyone.

Turns out the action's already lowered as much as it can be without buzzing. So any remaining playing problems are simply due to the crapiness of the guitar. Wonderful. :facepalm:

• Members

Perhaps, perhaps not. Is the guitar properly humidified? Have you checked the relief? Buzzing isn't only caused by the height of the action. For a quick-and-dirty check of the relief, put a capo at the first fret, press down the 6th (low E) string at the neck/body junction (usually the 14th fret or so), and pluck the string in between, say at the 6th or 7th fret. If you get a clear tone, the relief is okay or maybe even a bit excessive (at some point you'll want actually measure it using a feeler gauge; there should be a gap of around .01" between the string and the 7th fret--a standard business card will also do). If you get a buzzy tone, loosen the truss rod a tad (say, 1/8-1/4 turn). Give things a day or so to settle down and try again.

• Members

Deep End makes a lot of good points.

Don't rule out your guitar that fast....hopefully it doesn't need a neck reset.

Buzzing can happen for a lot of reasons, none of which to justify pitching a guitar over. A decent set up guy can look over the guitar and let you know without charging you a dime. If the woods are decent and you liked how it sounded earlier in its life...think about fixing it.

Oh, and a few pics of the bridge and such would give us a heads up on what you are dealing with...

• Members

Going to either one of those places for a guitar adjustment, could cost you the guitar!
:eek:

My thoughts exactly. I've never bothered asking for guitar repairs at either place because I've always had the suspicion that the quality of work would be less than stellar and that the prices would be high. I'd much sooner go to a local guitar shop or luthier and have them do the work.

That being said, I have no idea how much an adjustment like that would cost :confused:.

• Members

I would do it myself for free (via the instructions at the Annex) or take it somewhere other than Guitar Center or Sam Ash, FWIW.

+1

Read the instructions thoroughly and learn to do your own setups. Your git, fingers and wallet will thank you.

Archived