String reviews and opinions needed, please.

Ronsonic B

• Members

Check me if this request is as lame as I fear, but I'm looking for reviews and opinions on acoustic guitar strings.

I'm an old, very rusty, electric rock player who just landed an acoustic gig, which means breaking out the old Ovation 1621 (told you I was an old, electric rock player)*. Between having barely played the last few years and having never been all that involved in acoustics my strings are dead and my fingers are killing me. What's out there in a very light, easy to play set that doesn't sound too zangy and gutless? At least until I get my hands in shape. They remember what they're supposed to do, but like so many things at my age are having a hard time getting there. :facepalm:

Getting through rehearsals and the set is a priority. Ultimate Tone can wait if necessary. I gotta play two rehearsals, private practice and get on stage next weekend. I can do this thing if I can keep my hands from bleeding or cramping. :eek:

*I don't actually wear white sneakers and a pony tail, but :rolleyes:

Thanks

Ron

• Members

I like Martin SP the best. I find them to have pretty much no "break in" period where they are too bright (D'Addario's on the other hand have a long break in period). They sound awesome as soon as you put them on, and what you get is what you will continue to have until they die. I get about a month or two on a set of SP medium PB. I play everyday, but probably about an hour to an hour and a half total per day tops.

• Members

Try a set of .010's and see if they work for you. d'Addario, Martin, and DR all make them and I'm sure there are others out there. If you can handle them, Dean Markley Vintage Bronze Tight Lights are a combination gauge: .011's for the high E (normally, "lights" are .012's) and .052's (which would be more at home in a set of .012's) for the low E.

• Members
I like Martin SP the best. I find them to have pretty much no "break in" period where they are too bright (D'Addario's on the other hand have a long break in period). They sound awesome as soon as you put them on, and what you get is what you will continue to have until they die. I get about a month or two on a set of SP medium PB. I play everyday, but probably about an hour to an hour and a half total per day tops.

Copy that.

I use the Martin SP Mediums on my D-18 because I need more boom for this guitar which is a dedicated acoustic.

I use Martin SP Lights on my D-16 which has a pick-up. The lighter strings are easier to bend and don't "bark" or create feedback in the studio.

Both offer incredible sound and don't dull out quickly. I also use Fast Fret, and a nut lubricant to stop that "chirping" that I so hate!:mad: These products help prolong the string's playability and performance.

Archived