Yamaha F355 - Recommend?

wreckingcru

• Members

Hi,

I'm a beginner guitar player, just starting to feel confident in my song playing ability and trying to buy a decent guitar for

With my limited knowledge, I zoned in on the Yamaha F355 (Black) as a potential guitar. However, when I went to the local Guitar Center in NYC, I was thoroughly dissuaded by the sales guy to buy it. Here are his points:

1) Get the more expensive F700 ($200) - solid wood, no laminate

2) Don't ever buy a black guitar because of the polyurethane.

Any help on these points? Trying them out in the store, they sounded about the same to me (since they're brand new and probably well tuned and I'm not that experienced as it is).

Would you recommend the F355?

Cheers and thanks for everyone's help!

• Members

The Yamaha F335 is an excellent guitar to start out with. They play nicely and sound good and even have decent tuners as well. There are many forum members here who have the F335 also in black and love them. The salesman was wrong on both accounts. First the Yamaha FG700 has a solid top only and laminated back and sides. Secondly, polyurethane finish is found on most guitars not only black. Some people don't like black guitars because they show finger smudges etc.. The salesman was just trying to "upsell" you. If you like the F335 and want it in black there is no reason why you as the paying customer should be able to decide what color you want. This salesman sounds like a moron. Go back and get the F335 if you like it and avoid the previous saleman.

Oh...and welcome to the forum! :thu:

• Members

The Yamaha F335 is an excellent guitar to start out with. They play nicely and sound good and even have decent tuners as well. There are many forum members here who have the F335 also in black and love them. The salesman was wrong on both accounts. First the Yamaha FG700 has a
solid top only
and laminated back and sides. Secondly, polyurethane finish is found on most guitars not only black. Some people don't like black guitars because they show finger smudges etc.. The salesman was just trying to "upsell" you. If you like the F335 and want it in black there is no reason why you as the paying customer should be able to decide what color you want. This salesman sounds like a moron. Go back and get the F335 if you like it and avoid the previous saleman.

Oh...and welcome to the forum!
:thu:

+1 to everything he said!!

And... black acoustic guitars are sexy! :love:

• Members

1) I agree with OldGuitarPlayer that the salesman was trying to upsell you.

2) I agree with OldGuitarPlayer that the salesman's comments regarding the finish and materials/construction are incorrect/inaccurate.

3) I agree with the salesman that you should buy the FG700S. We tried them all when shopping for my son's first acoustic last year, and the FG700S is worth $40 more than the F335 all day long...

:)

• Members

Heck, why stop there?

You should really just buy an Eric Clapton Martin acoustic. Yeah, they might be $3,000, but it's worth it because:

1. It's not black

2. Maybe it is polydfuaifsadfhdg34isde

3. It's frickin Eric Clapton! He plays the same guitar!

4. It's a frickin Martin! A MARTIN!

5. It's not that much more.

6. It's all solid woods.

7. It's purdyyyy

8. IT'S FRICKIN ERIC CLAPTON!

• Members

I have the F335BL - it'll be two years next month. It's an excellent guitar for $150 (I paid $130). The black finish with white pinstriping is badass pretty, and I've had no problems with it. Only thing I didn't like was the crappy pickguard, so I removed it and me and the guit are much happier without it.

If you want the long version, go here - my review is in the Gear forum.

• Members

Although you've pretty much made up your mind, I'd urge you to spring for the FG700S due to its solid top. As for the black finish, it doesn't matter. If you find another guitar you like someday and it happens to be black, go for it. In theory, a thinner finish is better but personally I wouldn't be able to tell the difference by listening.

• 10 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderators
On 12/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, MusicMom said:

The OP asked about a black F355. I noticed most of the replies are about F335. I also noticed when I Googled “F355 black” almost all the results are for F335. What gives? IS there such a thing as a black F355?

I'm guessing it is a typo. If you follow the link in the OP, which is 11 years old, btw, you will, after scrolling, find a black F335. I'm not an expert on Yamaha guitars, but I do not think they have a F355 model.

Archived