8 More Days and 40 Years Ago

S~R~O

• Members

I was 15. I remember seeing the movie. The rumors of Woodstock were evrywhere. What an incredible time it was for music. 40 years gone and the music still has a following.

Amazing

Well, not to poo poo your story, but really no more amazing than our grandparents still following the music of their day when they were our age.

Still, it is a testament to the music itself.

What I like to see is our kids getting into that music. There's a lot of crap out there today. Mostly commercial. Put together for the sole purpose of making money (Can you say Backstreet Boys or N'Sync?).

Music from our time, like Woodstock, was made from people who wanted to make music and did it, mostly, themselves. A lot of today's music is a product of some promoter's idea, much like the way a movie is made. They write the music and find someone to perform it. Back then, the music was already made, they just needed the promoter.

• Members
What I like to see is our kids getting into that music. There's a lot of crap out there today. Mostly commercial. Put together for the sole purpose of making money (Can you say Backstreet Boys or N'Sync?).

Amen, brother! ;)

I see teens come into my counseling office quite often who are REALLY into Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc... And it makes me really happy. I pretty much can't let a Led Zep or Jimi Hendrix t-shirt go by without a comment.

• Members

I was 18 and on my way there when a party, a couple of joints, and a really great looking chick sidetracked me.

Always loved Joe...can you sing with more emotion? He was brilliant at Woodstock.

I can't think of him without seeing Belushi imitating him....kinda ruined it for me, but it does make me laugh....John really could have done it for a living.

This is what I looked like in '70....my bands name was THE PNEUMATIC CREED.

m200079947.jpg

Damn, I miss my hair......I wonder where it all went?

• Members

Richie Havens performed at the 90th Birthday celebration for Pete Seeger. He played Freedom; it was slightly less hectic, abit more nuanced, but mindblowing. He did a leaping kick at the end that was unexpected and great.

Yes, every generation tends to hold on the music of its youth. I am very happy that I have such great stuff to hold on to. :thu:

• Members

I was 17 and lived less than 100 miles from Yasger's Farm. Did not consider going, but the whole thing did not hit home until Sunday when the traffic mess hit the papers. News was not instantaneous then as it is now. Now I could probably log on to a satellite now and look at the traffic backed up on Rt 17. First real look at it for me was when the movie came out and I realized what I had missed. For a while I thought Joe Cocker had some kind of palsy or something, never saw anybody get twisted up like that singing before. Saw a lot of things I never saw before in that movie, a real coming of age for me and my friends.

Belushi did a great Cocker, wish he was still here.

And I agree, the music then was real, at least a lot of it. Though we did have the Bay City Rollers and Frankie Avalon :)

• Members

I was in high school. I later in college had a guy in our house that was at woodstock. Two biggest movies of the era ,, easy rider and woodstock.

Ah yes, saw them both when they came out. A lesser known one was "Celebration at Big Sur." Some nice Joni Mitchell, some good CSNY and an almost fistfight involving Steven Stills.

• Members

I was 14 living in NYC. A few of my older friends (16 -18 year olds) invited me along to Woodstock on very limited funds, I declined. They ALL got arrested for stealing corn from a farmers field and thier parents had to make the drive upstate to bail them out. LOL! In hindsight I wish I had went and had gotten arrested too :) Who knew? :idk:

Archived