Can you call yourself a classical guitarist if...

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I heard a pair of classical guitarists at my college argueing over this. One was being real snobbish and saying the other wasn't a classical guitarist because he also plays steel string. But it got me thinking, is it really more the instrument or the music that determines what sort of guitarist you are? Personally, I'd have to say the music.

• Members

I heard a pair of classical guitarists at my college argueing over this. One was being real snobbish and saying the other wasn't a classical guitarist because he also plays steel string. But it got me thinking, is it really more the instrument or the music that determines what sort of guitarist you are? Personally, I'd have to say the music.

Classical music is music, not gear.

• Members

If you can play several classical guitar pieces proficiently, but you play it on a steel string instead of a nylon string?

I'd call myself a classical guitarist if I played mostly classical music on guitar, regardless of the guitar type. So, depending on how many pieces "several" is, it could be either yes or no.

• Members

I play mediterranean sundance on my les paul.

I play gipsy jazz on my les paul.

Perhap's I'm not the best person to ask to..... :lol:

This said - just like stackabones said, classical music is about the music, not the instrument.

This said....

Is this still metal????

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

If you can play several classical guitar pieces proficiently, but you play it on a steel string instead of a nylon string?

Probably not. A classical guitarist is a guitarist that plays largely classical music. If you are a guitarists that plays many styles including several classical pieces, I'd recommend calling yourself a guitarist with many musical interests.

P.S. The type of guitar, nylon vs steel string, doesn't have much to do with it.

• Members

Probably not. A classical guitarist is a guitarist that plays largely classical music. If you are a guitarists that plays many styles including several classical pieces, I'd recommend calling yourself a guitarist with many musical interests.

P.S. The type of guitar, nylon vs steel string, doesn't have much to do with it.

One guy was arguing that even if you play exclusively classical guitar music that your not a classical guitarist if you use a steel string even a little. That guy is obviously wrong (and a snob), but I was wondering what your guy's opinions were on whether a nylon string was requisite or not.

• Members

No........This is a classical guitarist.....anything other than that is not.....a classic perfection that only gets better with age...

and how does that happen?..........7 minutes, twenty one minutes...absolutely incredible... at any age.

[YOUTUBE]9efHwnFAkuA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

One guy was arguing that even if you play exclusively classical guitar music that your not a classical guitarist if you use a steel string even a little. That guy is obviously wrong (and a snob), but I was wondering what your guy's opinions were on whether a nylon string was requisite or not.

I don't really think it matters much what type of guitar you play or what type of guitarist you call yourself.

• Members

Set up a ring and charge people money to watch them fight. Better yet, take bets on which guy kicks the other's arse.

• Members

One guy was arguing that even if you play exclusively classical guitar music that your not a classical guitarist if you use a steel string even a little. That guy is obviously wrong (and a snob), ...

Well, yes and no.

The choice of a nylon string over steel for classical is because there are tonal nuances which can be better achieved with nylon. So, to bring out all of the subtleties in a good classical piece (much of which I yet cannot :facepalm:), a classical guitar is the weapon of preference.

It's incorrect to argue however that occasionally (or even frequently) touching a steel-string disqualifies your from calling yourself a classical guitarist. That title is really conferred upon you by what you are able to achieve when you play classical pieces.

In a similar vein, playing flamenco repertoire on a flamenco guitar doesn't automatically make you a flamenco guitarist. You can call yourself a flamenco guitar student but the acid tests for the true title seem to be: (1) Can you play with duende? (2) Can you play in compas? And most importantly, (3) can you successfully accompany a dancer or a singer without missing a beat and thereby becoming ostracized by the flamenco community as some wanna-be payo.

:lol:

• Members

I have heard some classical music played very well on a steel string guitar. The vast majority of classical guitarists, however, use a nylon string guitar. That simply comes from tradition, I think (the early guitars & lutes used gut strings). Nylon string guitars have their strengths and weaknesses, and so do steel string guitars.

• Members

One thing I've been wondering about... I don't like how he (and he's obviously not the only one) looses tempo when he strums those chords. Is this how the piece is written? Are you supposed to systematically loose tempo?

In any case, it's wrong, I don't like it one bit! :mad:

• Members

One thing I've been wondering about... I don't like how he (and he's obviously not the only one) looses tempo when he strums those chords. Is this how the piece is written? Are you supposed to systematically loose tempo?

In any case, it's wrong, I don't like it one bit!
:mad:

Check out Manuel Barreuco, he never loses tempo. David Russell doesn't either. John Williams.

Segovia reclaimed classical guitar from the mists, that is his legacy.

• Members

One thing I've been wondering about... I don't like how he (and he's obviously not the only one) looses tempo when he strums those chords. Is this how the piece is written? Are you supposed to systematically loose tempo? In any case, it's wrong, I don't like it one bit!
:mad:

In that particular piece, I also prefer staying on the beat.

However, Segovia was a great interpreter of romantic music and in many other works uses "rubato", a form of temporarily 'straying from the beat', to great effect.

• Members

Check out Manuel Barreuco, he never loses tempo. David Russell doesn't either. John Williams.

Segovia reclaimed classical guitar from the mists, that is his legacy.

[YOUTUBE]wDAHl54V0CU[/YOUTUBE]

Much better. :thu:

I think I read that Segovia didn't like jazz very much. It's probably because he couldn't swing. ;)

• Members

However, Segovia was a great interpreter of romantic music and in many other works uses "rubato", a form of temporarily 'straying from the beat', to great effect.

I agree completely about Segovia and romantic music. About rubato... isn't it about smoothly streching/compressing tempo, rather than breaking it?

• Members

Yes, that is a good way to describe rubato.....on average, everything stays on the beat but there are short periods where the tempo speeds up and slows down.

The other thing about that Segovia recording, he was in his 80's at that time. I'd be willing to bet his rendition of Austurias was more vigorous (and more likely to be on the beat) when he was younger.

Archived