Acoustic questions from a well-meaning hack

vitamin_E

• Members

It looks like that guitarist in the video doesn't rest his wrist on the bridge, which is a big component on electric guitar -- but can really limit an acoustic guitar's volume and tone (unless you're plugged in).

The gypsy jazzers (and from what've I seen among acoustic string players around the world) use a technique called rest-stroke. Djangobooks.com has a forum that'll get you acquainted with the technique. There are vids as well if you search them out. This rest-stroke technique will help out tremendously, though it does take some effort to get it down.

Also, don't really completely on single note leads. Take some leads with double-stops and try to learn about chord-block soloing. It'll really help your leads jump out. You may want to stop worrying so much about fast picking and concentrate on tastey picking. There isn't a player in the world who doesn't benefit from doing that. ;)

Oh, yeah, a thick pick is good. I use 3.5mm and can be heard in most acoustic settings when I take a lead.

But, as jamesp mentioned, you're basically running an electric setup. Think about it that way and you'll find ways to kick up the volume. BBE makes a good clean boost.

• Members

Wow! Thanks for the good advice and links to youtube - I'm going over those lessons right now. I've been using a 1 mm pick with medium Martin strings, but maybe I need to reevaluate that. Do I need to abandon all hope of bending with heavier strings, or do I need to work on that too? I been playing one fretted instrument or another for at least an hour or two a day for years, and yet - despite the fact that it has been set up by a pro with nicely dressed frets - it still seems to chew the heck out of my fingertips.

I've gotten just good enough at electric playing to crank out hours worth of passable improvised solos and make money in bar bands, but facing down my acoustic makes me realize just how mediocre of a player I really am - I lack depth. Beyond that, the band I'm in plays only a handful of bluegrass tunes, and I find myself playing the pentatonic major and minor scales more frequently than anything else. Every set is like a battle with a big, awkward wooden alien. ;) Thanks again!

Archived