VOM Reminder -- Virtual Open Mic This Sunday!

Stackabones

• Members

Here we go!!! There are a couple of updates for the VOM Archive Site.

1) Music Hosting is now available, automatically available to every registered member. Menu Item: "Music Hosting"

2) Every registered member now has the ability to correct his or her own past VOM links. Menu Item: "Update my Links"

Pretty cool, huh? :cool: Ohioarrow has been busy lately and is currently on a top secret VOM mission, but he'll be back before the VOM. I'll do my best to answer any questions about the updates.

VOM is on September 13. That day in history ...

• Members

Steve Goodman passed on September 20th, 1984.

Every September on his birthday, I honor him by watching his vids and playing his music during the day. This year its a Sunday which make its easier to do so. Without his influence in my life, I would never have had the motivation nor drive to play or even consider standing in front of someone with a guitar. I once told him I liked writing songs and asked him when he thought his songs were good enough to be heard. He replied to me, "there are no bad songs, just unwritten ones." Then he smiled at me. He always smiled.

One of my favorite songs of his is called, "Old Fashioned". I have never heard it done right, especially the few on U-tube that brutalize it.

I don't have it completely worked out yet, but I have been working on the chord changes and picking method and I'm going to give it a try. Singing while playing it is also another challenge, and the most difficult for me.

• Members

top secret VOM mission? :lol:

Nothing so grandiose, I was off killing some excess brain cells. I got back late last night. It was one heck of a show, and one heck of a party.

Music-wise it was a blast, lots of darn good talent, featuring the Jimmy Van Zant band on Thursday night. As well as a whole bunch of regional acts in Blues, Classic Rock, Southern Rock, and Midwestern folk in a never ending parade of shows.

Only one band didn't do so well on Saturday night. It wasn't their fault either, they did very good, but their genre was well outside the mainstream sound of the event. Whomever did the scheduling really hung these poor guys out to dry. To be honest, I am not sure exactly what kind of music that was, some kind of hybrid sound between island music and jazz as near as I can figure. But the crowd was brutal on them, hissing and booing, I really felt sorry for these guys. But they finished their set despite a hostile crowd and proudly walked off, very professional of them. But they were set up for failure by scheduling. They came on right before a major give away drawing, so the area was packed with bikers. I mean you wouldn't schedule opera at a motorcycle rally, right? Someone really dropped the ball in organization with that one.

• Members

So, any guitar stories?

Not really no. It was a motorcycle rally, so it was kinda loud for just Acoustic guitars. All the muscle bikes running around just thundered them out. Hooked up with one guy and his wife during pre-stage who was carrying around a cheap Jasmine by Takamine. I took along my old faithful Yammie Lammie FG340 and we got in a few hours of playing, and she was a hell of a singer and that drew a little bit of a crowd around the camp site there. Stephen got his first dose of playing in front of people. :lol: He had a blast doing it, the boy is a natural ham.

A 12 pack of Heineken and a few visits from Jose Cuervo later, I am not sure how good we were sounding, but at that point who cared?

• Members
Well, as it turns out I left a few things in test mode. Guess I got into a rush trying to get the changes finished before I ran off on vacation. So the automated email system did some funky things it wasn't supposed to. But I got it working right now, so we should be good to go when you fire up the VOM.

Not really no. It was a motorcycle rally, so it was kinda loud for just Acoustic guitars. All the muscle bikes running around just thundered them out. Hooked up with one guy and his wife during pre-stage who was carrying around a cheap Jasmine by Takamine. I took along my old faithful Yammie Lammie FG340 and we got in a few hours of playing, and she was a hell of a singer and that drew a little bit of a crowd around the camp site there. Stephen got his first dose of playing in front of people.
:lol:
He had a blast doing it, the boy is a natural ham.

A 12 pack of Heineken and a few visits from Jose Cuervo later, I am not sure how good we were sounding, but at that point who cared?

LOL - sounds like a great time! And after beer and Jose, I bet nobody cared how you sounded, so no worries.

Glad to hear Stephen played, too. Takes guts, even after a few beers, if you're inexperienced in playing out.

• Members

LOL - sounds like a great time! And after beer and Jose, I bet nobody cared how you sounded, so no worries.

Glad to hear Stephen played, too. Takes guts, even after a few beers, if you're inexperienced in playing out.

Yea, the clincher was Jose, and Stephen was feeling no pain.

Archived