Hartke A35 Bass Amp

recordingtrack1

• Members

Just bought this little amp to use with my bass guitar. Reason: $120 and free shipping. Didn't feel like I could pass it up.

My question: Any of you use a bass amp as an acoustic guitar amp? I suddenly realized that I've heard of people doing this and what do you think about the sound quality? The big brown truck should arrive in a few days and I was just wondering if this might be a positive......or no. Opinions?

Regardless, I'm glad to have a bass amp, though be it a small one.

RT1

• Members

I get an acceptable sound by running my piezo-equipped acoustic through a bass amp. I bought a 15-watt Crate 2 years ago. Not the best-quality piece of gear, but it works fine for the acoustic, and also if I bring my P-bass to an acoustic jam. I bought it specifically because it fits perfectly on the rear carrier of my bicycle!:thu:

• Members

How much do you want to spend? Among other amps, our church is looking at the
, which is 75 Watts and a very compact 12" cube. A good bit more money than recordingtrack1 spent though.

Looks ok, but I don't need special effects and modeling, just a basic compact bass amp. I have a Silvertone bass that I picked up used for $100 so that might give you a better idea on my price range.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have an Alesis Microverb just laying around that I don't use for anything. It will be perfect, I think. The A35 has an effects loop, so I'm gonna plug that sucker up!

At my work, we have a big outdoor festival every fall, this time on 9/26. They usually have a fairly whacked out PA set up and employees and guests get up and do open mic, basically. I have done this in the past and the guitar usually sounds crapped out, but the vocals are relatively ok. I am thinking this could be a real plus!

RT1

• Members
Thanks for the replies everybody. I have an Alesis Microverb just laying around that I don't use for anything. It will be perfect, I think. The A35 has an effects loop, so I'm gonna plug that sucker up!

At my work, we have a big outdoor festival every fall, this time on 9/26. They usually have a fairly whacked out PA set up and employees and guests get up and do open mic, basically. I have done this in the past and the guitar usually sounds crapped out, but the vocals are relatively ok. I am thinking this could be a real plus!

RT1

The MicroVerb is exactly what I used when I gigged w/ my Trace-Elliot Commando bass combo as an acoustic amp...perfect rig, other than weighing a ton! :)

• Members

Looks ok, but I don't need special effects and modeling, just a basic compact bass amp. I have a Silvertone bass that I picked up used for $100 so that might give you a better idea on my price range.

Okay, here's an older 130 Watt Peavey with a 15" speaker going for $49.00 on Craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/1376477411.html. No idea whether it fits your definition of "compact" or how far away it is from you but the price is right. I also found out earlier this evening that our tech guy, Ray, and our bass player, Larry, bought the Line 6 Lowdown 110. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

• Members
have a Silvertone bass that I picked up used for $100 so that might give you a better idea on my price range.

You might be able to find a used amp, as well. I've got an early-1980s Roland Cube, 60 watts, with a line out for stage use. Sweet tone with a P-bass.:thu:

• Members

The little amp finally arrived!:wave: didn't think it was ever gonna get here.

Impressions are that it works great for an acoustic amp. I got it out of the box, dragged it into my kitchen and began hooking stuff up to it. It's little and light, which is not a problem in my opinion. It is very well voiced for acoustic guitar. very natural sound and gets much more volume before feedback than I thought it would.

As TAH said earlier, no built in effects is a big drawback, but I can hook up the Microverb and this will work sufficiently until I can find something a little more convenient.

NOW, I'm looking for a 2nd one identical to it. The way I see it, I can use a stereo chorus pedal and run a bi-line into two of these. It will sound terrific!

I really hope that I can find another one for the price I paid on the first.

RT1

• Members
The little amp finally arrived!
:wave:
didn't think it was ever gonna get here.

Impressions are that it works great for an acoustic amp. I got it out of the box, dragged it into my kitchen and began hooking stuff up to it. It's little and light, which is not a problem in my opinion. It is very well voiced for acoustic guitar. very natural sound and gets much more volume before feedback than I thought it would.

As TAH said earlier, no built in effects is a big drawback, but I can hook up the Microverb and this will work sufficiently until I can find something a little more convenient.

NOW, I'm looking for a 2nd one identical to it. The way I see it, I can use a stereo chorus pedal and run a bi-line into two of these. It will sound terrific!

I really hope that I can find another one for the price I paid on the first.

RT1

Pics?

Archived