Wow, an "honest" review for a change?

Goofball Jones

• Members

Just saw this. It's on gearwire.com so take that for what it is wither you like that site or not.

This guy does a video review of the Gibson Blues King and he was pretty honest about it. Hey, agree or disagree with him or whatever...the point is that he didn't do the typical review of "this is the best guitar ever" or something else meant not to piss off the manufacturer.

Just thought it was refreshing.

http://www.gearwire.com/gibson-blues-king-l-00-lab.html

• Members

It's sad when a guy who only plays cowboy chords reviews a box meant for playing delta blues.

Aren't blues players looking for a certain "boxy" tone?

I hope they don't hire that guy to review resonators.

again, doesn't matter...the fact of the matter is that they published/posted the review regardless. They weren't scared or kowtowed into posting a glowing review lest they piss off Gibson or whatever. That's my point.

• Members

Yeah, I agree -- I find critical reviews more interesting than glowing reviews, and it's good to see some online mag panning an established brand.

But the reviewer seemed like an idiot to me. "It doesn't sound good. My Takamine sounds better." How did that guy get hired to do reviews?

• Members
Yeah, I agree -- I find critical reviews more interesting than glowing reviews, and it's good to see some online mag panning an established brand.

But the reviewer seemed like an idiot to me. "It doesn't sound good. My Takamine sounds better." How did that guy get hired to do reviews?

:lol: true

• Members

He played one chord and then talked the whole time. Honest?, yes, helpful? i don't know. If he had played it and played it well with different techniques and dynamics, loud soft, strumming, picking, etc. and let people form an opinion beside his valid one that he expressed. That would have been helpful.

That being said, that one chord he strummed sounded aweful.

• Members

lol, I knew this would miss my point, but thought I would try anyway. At least my expectations weren't that high.

FORGET what he was reviewing or if the reviewer was an idiot or not. Appreciate the fact that it was posted at all. What other named magazine or website has written a bad review of a manufacturer? Sure, you see user reviews of course...but they're not helpful at all because it's either "OMG, this is the most awesomest guitar ever!!!" or "this sucks, I hate Gibson and refuse to ever like them" or whatever.

But anyway, continue to ignore my point and just bash this guy and his review. Yes, I think he's lame also. But that's not the point. That they posted the review at all, is.

• Members

It's a worthless review. He sounded like a typical yahoo posting on any guitar forum where someone posts their preconceived notions about a guitar without actually having played it.

The guitar is in his paws. Why doesn't he play the darned thing? :confused:

He could have given the same exact review without ever seeing the guitar in person. It's like reviewing a new car without ever getting inside and turning the key.

I think those guitars look nice but I doubt if I'd ever want to buy one. However, if I was interested in that guitar, I would have preferred someone putting it through its paces so I could get an idea of what it can or cannot do. That video review didn't tell me anything about the guitar.

• Members
lol, I knew this would miss my point, but thought I would try anyway. At least my expectations weren't that high.

FORGET what he was reviewing or if the reviewer was an idiot or not. Appreciate the fact that it was posted at all. What other named magazine or website has written a bad review of a manufacturer? Sure, you see user reviews of course...but they're not helpful at all because it's either "OMG, this is the most awesomest guitar ever!!!" or "this sucks, I hate Gibson and refuse to ever like them" or whatever.

But anyway, continue to ignore my point and just bash this guy and his review. Yes, I think he's lame also. But that's not the point. That they posted the review at all, is.

Yes, I do see your point. :thu:

I was even surprised to hear a negative review on an official site like that. It is indeed a rare thing.

• Members

A friend of mine dished out some serious dough (for him) and picked up 1 of these months ago. Very bad neck. It was a mess and would have required major work to straighten it out, according to his tech. Definitely sounds like something you want to play in person first. I don't know if this is at all related to why the reviewer didn't like it. My friend didn't mind the tone so much.

• Members

Kudos to the reviewer for an honest opinion and not kissing Gibson's ass. I get that. However, the review sucked. The guy is an idiot. That is a delta blues instrument and needs to have fingers dug into it. I bet he loves a Gibson Jumbo with a capo so he can play his G,C and D chords.

• Members

Umm...well, you know...Umm...I really...Uhh...didn't like...that...uhh, review, I guess. I...umm...well, umm...I thought that he said, well, like...ahh...like he said "umm" and "uhh" a lot.

I think he played the guitar for a grand total of five seconds, and the chord he played sounded mis-fretted and the guitar sounded out of tune. And he had some of the lousiest analogies I've ever heard. "Umm...well, this guitar's like a bottle of wine, and maybe if you spend a lot of money on it now, it'll sound good later. But if you want to play it today then maybe you should buy some cheap wine."

Maybe that guy needs to lay off the cheap wine :idk:.

• Members
Amateur review of a professional guitar.

:thu:

Those are great little blues guitars but they do have a certain tone marketed for a certain type of player. That review was a joke.. With the internet any yahoo with a camera can sound like he knows what he`s talking about and sound important..

His skills are lacking not the guitar. Worthless review imo..

• Members

Well, in the defense of those magazines, they don't publish reviews of bad instruments...They get over 100 instruments a month, on average (plus other gear), so if the axe is a clunker, they send it back, explain why it won't get a review, and allow the manufacturer to send another example...I know of one case where Acoustic Guitar send back 3 examples before getting one they felt was worthy of a review.

They only have so much space for reviews, you know?

• Members

Yes, honest reviews are always refreshing, however, what good is an honest review if:

1) The reviewer is not qualified to do the review
2) The instrument is not played (in several ways) for us to let us hear it
3) No comparisons are made (to other guitars in the same "class", or even price-range)
4) Very little is even described in the "review" (specs, etc.)

It was like:

"Um yeah, I got this Gibson guitar (what's it called again?). I don't really like it. I like my 7/8ths Takamine better. It's made of wood. Some dude told me it might be good some day."

If I had READ that review (rather than watched a video), I would have guessed the "reviewer" was 12... maybe 13 yrs. old. And not doing well in school.

:)

Archived