signatures or artwork on an almost perfect guitar

Goofball Jones

• Members

Lets say you got temporarily blind. Yet you still are shopping for a guitar. You have your friend look up guitar models for you with the specs you're looking for and then he takes you guitar shopping. You find one that feels great. It has tone for days and days. It just comes alive in your hands and you feel that you've met your guitar soul-mate in terms of sound and playing.

Then when you gain your sight back, you see that emblazoned across the sound board is a badly done paint job of Axl Rose in the nude. :freak: Would you still get the guitar? Not saying I've come across a guitar like this and I pray that I never do...it's a hypothetical question. :D

• Members

definitly not ,i seen a couple of martin guitars in my local music store some of them had pictures all over the sound board horrible looking guitars ,imho the guys that came up with thet design should be tar and feathered (joke).

• Members

Lets say you got temporarily blind. Yet you still are shopping for a guitar. You have your friend look up guitar models for you with the specs you're looking for and then he takes you guitar shopping. You find one that feels great. It has tone for days and days. It just comes alive in your hands and you feel that you've met your guitar soul-mate in terms of sound and playing.

Then when you gain your sight back, you see that emblazoned across the sound board is a badly done paint job of Axl Rose in the nude.
:freak:
Would you still get the guitar? Not saying I've come across a guitar like this and I pray that I never do...it's a hypothetical question.
:D

Some people feel that way about Sapele. Not me. They say it's too striped. I say it sounds way better than mahogany.

Let's see if this goes to 20 pages.

10_7_5.gif

• Members

Addendum to previous:

http://www.creestudios.com/martin_guitar1_anasazi.html

martin_anasazi_full.JPG

I'm not saying that this is a bargain by any stretch (note the $20K price tag) but it's priced as such because it's hand-painted by the artist himself. Note the process further down the page.

SO it begs to differ, is a guitar just a tool or a work of art in and of itself. Sometimes it can be both - or neither. It all depends upon the eyes (and ears and hands) of the beholder.

• Members

Honestly, it's not that I detest Clapton, nor would I go out of my way to say I do in a forum...I mean, really, "detest"? I don't detest anything other than people that hate. I mean, I think he's okay. It's just that it bugs me that his signature is blatant on that guitar.

I love this guitar. I've played it many times and the specs on it are exactly what I want: Bone nut and saddle, 24.9" scale, varnish finish, rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard, 1.75" nut, 14th fret clear, V neck and on and on. It seems there are models that have either most, but not all of these things...but something is different like it will have mahogany back and sides, or it will be in 25.5" scale or something different.

It's like when they came out with a reissue of Willie Nelson's "Trigger" they couldn't just release it as the original N-20...they had to have "Trigger" stamped right in the middle of the fretboard then Nelson's sig at the bottom like Clapton's signature. Why didn't they just go ahead and have a picture of Nelson playing Trigger on the soundboard? It's like when you buy your kid a Superman costume you find that the shirt doesn't have the "S" on it, but instead is a picture of Superman flying. :D

• Members

Honestly, it's not that I detest Clapton, nor would I go out of my way to say I do in a forum...I mean, really, "detest"? I don't detest anything other than people that hate. I mean, I think he's okay. It's just that it bugs me that his signature is blatant on that guitar.

I love this guitar. I've played it many times and the specs on it are exactly what I want: Bone nut and saddle, 24.9" scale, varnish finish, rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard, 1.75" nut, 14th fret clear, V neck and on and on. It seems there are models that have either most, but not all of these things...but something is different like it will have mahogany back and sides, or it will be in 25.5" scale or something different.

It's like when they came out with a reissue of Willie Nelson's "Trigger" they couldn't just release it as the original N-20...they had to have "Trigger" stamped right in the middle of the fretboard then Nelson's sig at the bottom like Clapton's signature. Why didn't they just go ahead and have a picture of Nelson playing Trigger on the soundboard? It's like when you buy your kid a Superman costume you find that the shirt doesn't have the "S" on it, but instead is a picture of Superman flying.
:D

I dont detest him either, I was just playing off my earlier post about Axl Rose. Who I actually do detest.

And I saw one of those Clapton sigs at a guitar show 2 weeks ago, but I just didnt want to touch it because I think the sig thing is a bit cheesy- anybodys sig-especially if he didnt sign it himself with a sharpie.

But yeah, the superman shirt is a great analogy.

• Members

Really though, do people buy em' to play or mostly to collect? Collectors LOVE cheezy stuff like sigs all over the guitar and pics but for us players a small sig on the paper tag inside the guitar would have been more appropriate and would have showed a lot more class form a company like Martin.

• Members

I will say this though, I watched a video of Pink Floyd explaining how they made "Dark Side of the Moon". Very interesting show btw...they had everyone talking about each song on the album and how they came up with it or recorded it. Even had Alan Parson's showing different ways of how he mixed the album.

Anyway, Roger Waters was playing a 000-28ec when he was demonstrating one of the songs. Thought that was kind of interesting.

Actually, here that is through the magic of Youtube!

[YOUTUBE]5-HqGkc_A4o[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Seriously though, it's the sound what it's really all about anyway? Who really cares what it looks like as long as you get the sound out of it that you're looking for.

Looks only matter to me if don't like it. I was shopping for a new git recently and couldn't decide. Natural? Sunburst? Black? I don't care; they're all fine; color doesn't matter.

What's that? You have the same model in pink for half the price? No thanks! Who wants a pink guitar?

• Members

No signatures, no way. It's my guitar. Artwork... Depends on quality and if it's applied by an artist. I've seen some nice work. If the guitar was nice enough, I'm sure you could get Axl Rose off (No snickering! You know what I meant!) without screwing up the guitar. As long as the artwork wasn't applied by the manufacturer. Felix- I'm a big fan. Hello Kitty- The image of a sweating serious Blues/Rock guy Testifying in a smokey biker roadhouse on a "Hello Kitty" Strat amuses me. So Hello Kitty is OK too. I'd like to see that before I die.

• Members

Really though, do people buy em' to play or mostly to collect? Collectors LOVE cheezy stuff like sigs all over the guitar and pics but for us players a small sig on the paper tag inside the guitar would have been more appropriate and would have showed a lot more class form a company like Martin.

I have a problem with Axl Rose's dick all over the front of my guitar.

But hey if it cxan cure blind people maybe I'd leave it on there and set up some kind of clinic with me just playing guitar and blind people lined up outside with their cash paying me big $$$ to feast their diseased eyeballs on the picture of Axy Rose's junk on my awesome healing guitar.

Archived