Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M(warning, guitar content)

TN.Frank

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TN.Frank I think you can google this: How to Sell Plasma

Though... in Jersey you probably get more for a kidney, but a bit of a ride
;)

College kids in Tempe, AZ(ASU) used to sell plasma to get drinkin' money for the weekend,LOL. I'd rather be a sperm donner, seems like it'd be more fun.LOL:thu:

• Members

IF a sense of humor was gold I'd be a very rich man.

Talked to the guy with the old Epi, he said he thought it was a '68 made guitar, not sure on the model though. He's going to look and call me back once he gets home. This might be an even better way to go, that way I'd be getting a true "vintage" Epi and I can probably get him down to $225 or even $200 if I really dicker with him. I just need some feedback from ya'll as to the quality and models that were good for late '60's Epi guitars. Talk to me people.

Here's a pic.

• Members

Ok, from what I've learned on the Epi Forum(yes, I'm a member, back when I had my Epi mandolin,LOL) it looks like it's probably an FT-150 and I think it's all laminate. I was really hopin' for at least a solid top. Anyway, I'll wait to get the call to see what it is for sure. It still might be a good way to get into a vintage Epi if I can get the price down.

• Members

I (secretly) coveted a Masterbilt for a couple months as it hung on the wall at GC unloved. The problem is I own 4 USA made guitars and it is strictly one in - one out in my house so I don't put finances in trouble. I couldn't bring myself to sell one of my current guitars or I would have bought it.

About the cracks. I noticed 2 Masterbilts on a blowout with cracked tops. I don't know if it was their crappy acoustic room or what but knowing how I take care of my guitars I wouldn't have worried about it.

• Members

I got an e-mail back and was told that the blue tag has "FT-105" and "#39" on it. I did a google of FT-105 and got nothing, I wonder if they mean FT-150????

Keep in mind that the Masterbilt line is based on guitars from the 1940's.

The Epiphone you are looking at won't be anything like the Masterbilt you liked.

• Members

That's what I'm kind of figuring out. The Epi the guy has for sale(probably an FT-150, not a 105) has a bolt on neck, laminated back and sides and probably a laminated top as well. I think I'll just get the RK sold, add my $80, bug Benny for the $50 he owes me and add a few bucks to that and see if I can get the AJ-500 for $350 out the door.

• Members

Here is another option:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Parkwood-PW320M-GA-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512551#used

Try to get them to bring this down to $350 (or less). It states:

Condition 2 - Very Good

This instrument has been played very little and shows few signs of use. In most respects it looks and feels like a new instrument you'd find in a retail store. Specifically, this instrument's case has a small tear in the lining.

• Members

Michael Kelly is just too unknown to me to really get into it. Epi is kind of "local"(I know, they're made in China BUT Epi and Gibson are both bassed in Nashville, so.....) which is good. I've read about their Masterbilt guitars here on the forum for a while now, about how great they are, ect. but never had the chance to play one until today. I like the feel, the action was nice, it had a great tone, it even looked kind of "vintage" with the matte finish and open back butter bean tuners. Just what I'm looking for something that looks old but isn't .

OK, now you're on to something. Those are really nice guitars if you get a good one, and it seems as though you've found a good one. Look out for top cracks and bridge lifting if it's been hanging in the store for a while, but if that's all OK then I predict that if you can swing it you will be a happy camper.

• Members

IF a sense of humor was gold I'd be a very rich man.

Talked to the guy with the old Epi, he said he thought it was a '68 made guitar, not sure on the model though. He's going to look and call me back once he gets home. This might be an even better way to go, that way I'd be getting a true "vintage" Epi and I can probably get him down to $225 or even $200 if I really dicker with him. I just need some feedback from ya'll as to the quality and models that were good for late '60's Epi guitars. Talk to me people.

Here's a pic.

I doubt you'll be happy with that one. It's not a Masterbilt. The lower end EPi's are crap.

• Members

I'll keep the Parkwood in mind but I'd really like to go for the AJ-500. There was something other then "AJ-500M" in the lable, looked like they had an "S" after the "M" IIRC, probably for Solid Wood or something. Anyway, I need to move the RK, beat Benny up and get my $50 bucks, add it to my $80 bucks and offer $350 on the AJ. I'll Probably get laughed out of the store but hey, at least I'm making an offer on something that looked like it'd had been there for a while(quite a bit of dust on it) and isn't selling. All he can say is "No.". At which point I call MF and see what they can do on one for me.

• Members

I'll keep the Parkwood in mind but I'd really like to go for the AJ-500. There was something other then "AJ-500M" in the lable, looked like they had an "S" after the "M" IIRC, probably for Solid Wood or something. Anyway, I need to move the RK, beat Benny up and get my $50 bucks, add it to my $80 bucks and offer $350 on the AJ. I'll Probably get laughed out of the store but hey, at least I'm making an offer on something that looked like it'd had been there for a while(quite a bit of dust on it) and isn't selling. All he can say is "No.". At which point I call MF and see what they can do on one for me.

You know, MF has a 45 day return policy. :idea:

• Members

There was something other then "AJ-500M" in the lable, looked like they had an "S" after the "M" IIRC, probably for Solid Wood or something.

The "S" stands for satin, ie. the slightly tinted, darker vintage natural color that you like. Other AJ-500M have "N" which means natural, ie. the typical natural color you see in any other guitar.

Btw I love my AJ500M !! :thu: It does look and feel and sound vintage.

• Members

So AJ500MS is the Vintage Sunburst in a satin finish, thanks, I didn't know that. I do know different manufactures have different codes and stuff they use to tell ya' what their guitars are. Like with Tak, if it has an S after the number it's a solid top, i.e. EG340"S" would have a solid top.

Archived