What song to play?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

In one of my business classes on the first day of class the teacher had use fill out a sheet, and on of the things on there is we had to put some interesting, unique, or weird about us down. At the beginning of each class he has about 5 people stand up, then he reads off the 5 personal facts, then the rest of the class guesses what person the interesting fact is attributed too.

I put down that I am a fingerstyle guitarist, and once the class figured out it was me, the teacher asked my if I would bring in my guitar next class and play something. I agreed, and now I need to figure out what to play. Its going to be fingerstyle, and its got to be an instrumental because I can't sing. Any suggestions on what might be a good thing to play?

• Members

My mindreading powers are a little weak right now, and I haven't a clue about what's on your setlist. :poke:

I'd go with the first song that popped into your head when you got the request. Either that or just do your best song.

If I don't know the song I can always learn it before the next class.

• Members

Play something that's simple for you, yet sounds more difficult than it really is. Usually those kinds of tunes are the ones you enjoy playing every day, either for warm up or simply because you enjoy them so much you can play them in your sleep.

I've also noticed that people tend to like really haunting tunes in minor keys.

Just my .02

• Members

In one of my business classes on the first day of class the teacher had use fill out a sheet, and on of the things on there is we had to put some interesting, unique, or weird about us down. At the beginning of each class he has about 5 people stand up, then he reads off the 5 personal facts, then the rest of the class guesses what person the interesting fact is attributed too.

I put down that I am a fingerstyle guitarist, and once the class figured out it was me, the teacher asked my if I would bring in my guitar next class and play something. I agreed, and now I need to figure out what to play. Its going to be fingerstyle, and its got to be an instrumental because I can't sing. Any suggestions on what might be a good thing to play?

Greensleeves

• Members

Last Steam Engine Train.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The question is I guess, how confident are you and how good are you? Can you just get up there and whip out TE's "Tall Fiddler" or is "Dust in the Wind" more your speed?

Personally, I always try my hand at some Chet Atkins (either his take of DOn MacLean's "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" or just ham it up with my own take on he and John Loudermilk's "Windy and Warm"), though Pete Huttlinger has a few tasty pieces (such as "Darcy's Guitar", "Get a Klugh" and a nice James Taylor-inspired rendition of the hymn "On Eagles' Wings." I won't try and impress people by butchering Tommy Emmanuel, though I have lots of fun trying to get my groove on with "Angelina" and "Mombasa."

Archived