electro-acoustic guitars

Indie101

• Members

Him and welcome to the forum. For $400 you can probably get a bottom of the line NEW guitar or a MIDDLE of the line used one.

$200 range aint worth having generally.

Others will chime in here with specific models, and will probably ask what kind of music are you playing?

• Members

If you can find a used Ibanez AEF18 that should be in the $200 range and is a great guitar for the price. I'm kinda sorry I let mine go. Plus if you go used that will leave plenty of room in the budget for a proper setup.

Sure the AEF18 is laminate but it sounds nice and has very solid electronics.

They no longer make the AEF18 but they do have plenty of models in the $200-400 range and I think they are a very overlooked brand when it comes to low and mid priced acoustics.

Or if you can get along with a smaller nut (1-5/8") you can get a Luna Trinity from amazon for $406. I've been very pleased with my Luna guitars and even with my size 10 hands haven't had any problems with the smaller nut width.

-Kit

• Members

Here is what I just picked up new for $225 (Canadian money).

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0961006021

The Fender CD-100CE...I have had mine now for 3 weeks and have used it live several times and it sounds great plugged in. Mine was setup quite nicely from the factory so I was lucky there. It's an all laminate sturdy construction and was $100 cheaper than the comparable Yamaha. This one even comes with a built in tuner! So far I am pretty happy with it. It even sounds nice too what with having a light satin poly finish instead of the usualy heavy gloss finish. I have a set of custom light gauge strings on it now (.011-.046) and it's great for strumming and fingerstyle. I am sure it could handle mediums no problem.

Basically though if you look at guitars in your price range you are looking at Yamaha, Seagull, Takamine, Epiphone, Alvarez or even like in my case Fender. I tried out a few guitars in the $200-$300 range and for the money and for what I need it to do, this Fender CD-100CE was the best one.

That being said, it's always best to go and try out a few since all guitars are different. I have tried out good examples of some guitars and also absolute crap versions of the same guitar by the same manufacturer. I'd also look at Tanglewood too if they are available in your area.

• Members

i heard that ovations are good guitars is that ture or have i been miss informed

Depends on who you ask. And with all the New Year libation that's going around, you'll probably get some very bold, blunt opinions :p.

In my opinion, Ovations are great guitars---for some applications. Acoustically (i.e. unplugged), I don't care for the way mine sounds. If I don't have something to plug into, my Ovation sits in its case. I've got "real" acoustic guitars for playing around the house. Plugged into a PA system or an acoustic amp, though, the Ovation kicks tail :thu:. They've got a very, very nice plugged in tone, and they'll give you a lot of volume before they'll feedback. The plastic back makes them pretty durable stage guitars as well; the only surface that can really be damaged is the top.

If you're looking for a dedicated acoustic-electric (i.e. a guitar that you're going to be plugged in more often than not), a used Ovation or Takamine would probably be your best bet. If you can find an Ovation that was made in Korea, jump on it. The guitars---and the electronics especially---were better before Ovation dumped their Korean manufacturer for a Chinese one. That happened three or four years ago, IIRC.

• Members

FWIW, I would avoid Fender acoustics if you can. I think the consensus on this forum is that they make inferior acoustic guitars. I would go for the Takamine "G" series mentioned above. Much better guitar and value for nearly the same price.

I wouldn't be so hasty. OGP (OldGuitarPlayer) picked up a Fender A/E a month or two ago, and he's been quite satisfied with it. Personally, I'm not a fan of Fender acoustics, but I'd talk to OGP before I wrote them off completely.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like he already chimed in already. It helps to read the whole thread before you start posting, ya know :facepalm:?

• Members

I wouldn't be so hasty. OGP (OldGuitarPlayer) picked up a Fender A/E a month or two ago, and he's been quite satisfied with it. Personally, I'm not a fan of Fender acoustics, but I'd talk to OGP before I wrote them off completely.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like he already chimed in already. It helps to read the whole thread before you start posting, ya know
:facepalm:
?

I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't played a decent sounding one yet. I certainly wouldn't buy one unless I had played it first.

Archived