VOM Reminder -- Virtual Open Mic This Sunday!

Stackabones

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stopping smoking is hard. You
can
do it though

Yes. For some of us, just about the hardest thing ever, because you have to say NO to it about 800,000 times before the little voice goes away. Just be prepared for that, and resolute.

I quit a 2-pack-day habit at 27 and my dad quit a similar habit at about 60. He waited too long; he died of emphysema three yrs ago.

• Members

Hey thanks, The one I'm doing needs a harmonica player so you will need to imagine a hot harp playing. Thats another thing I need to learn.

Stopping smoking is hard. You
can
do it though

I've been trying to play the harmonica recently gives me something else to suck on.

Phil

• Members

Yes. For some of us, just about the hardest thing ever, because you have to say NO to it about 800,000 times before the little voice goes away. Just be prepared for that, and resolute.

I quit a 2-pack-day habit at 27 and my dad quit a similar habit at about 60. He waited too long; he died of emphysema three yrs ago.

Well I'm on day eight now. I understand about the little voice - it has been quite persistent in the past.

Phil

• Members

Well I'm on day eight now. I understand about the little voice - it has been quite persistent in the past.

Phil

Congrats, 8 days is at least the start of the downhill portion (although it's a very long hill). I smoked a pack+ a day from 18 until I was about 30 and remember how difficult it was.

• Members

Phil

The temptations are many. I worked for a guy years ago and he liked to go out and hoist a few drinks...his 3 to my 1 and by the end of the night I would be smoking again...At least for the night...took years of trying but I did it. If you can be as diligent at this as you have with guitar then you can do it...as you see many people have the same hill to climb...I used to not believe the tobacco companys would put stuff in the cigs to make it more addictive, but now I believe they do put stuff in there besides the nicotine. That alone is enough to piss ya off and not want to support them.

• Members

Phil

Congrats! Proud of you. You'll be so glad you kicked it. I used the occasion to begin running, which I've been doing ever since. It helped a lot, because if you do one you really can't do the other.

• Members

On the VOM1T page it says "Starting in August of 2009 registered participants of the VOM Archive site may now use our embedded hosting service. It is available once you log in."

Great. But it doesn't tell me how-to.

I have now learned the basics of my H2 and have recorded one raw track - with all the errors, computer fans and dogs barking in the background. How do I now upload it to prove what crappy player/singer I am.

• Members
On the VOM1T page it says "Starting in August of 2009 registered participants of the VOM Archive site may now use our embedded hosting service. It is available once you log in."

Great. But it doesn't tell me how-to.

I have now learned the basics of my H2 and have recorded one raw track - with all the errors, computer fans and dogs barking in the background. How do I now upload it to prove what crappy player/singer I am.

You'll need to participate in at least one VOM in order to register at the VOM Archive Site.

In the meantime, upload your track to Soundclick (it's what I use) and then link it in the VOM thread that I'll start Sunday.

If you need any further help, ask here or PM me. :wave:

• Members

I'm a terrible procrastinator and am trying to turn over a new leaf this year so I posted early. It feels good to get it out of the way.

BTW, I used the new Martin and used my all-portable recording rig: Zoom H2 and the Canon digital camera in AVI mode. I only wish I'd warmed up, but hey it's a VOM1T! :p

• Members

of course if it's like last month, that's when HC will decide to flip the switch on v2.0 in which case you might only see

HarmonyCentralScheduledMaintenance.jpg

That's what I am worried about. LOL 'Fraid they're gonna throw that switch late Friday, leave for the weekend and fight any fires on Monday morning. I doubt they'd do that to us, but you never can tell.

But listen, if we do get caught up in a Beta flop, we have made alternate arrangements for the VOM, just in case Murphy's law rears up and smacks us upside the head.

If Beta goes to hell in a hand bag, is very buggy, plain out unusable, or just makes you ill in the beginning, we borrowed some space to use as an Alamo. So bookmark that link. Any submissions made to the alternative location will be echoed to the home forum as soon as whatever disaster happens is repaired. This link is also now on the VOM Archive Site's side bar.

• Members

Congratulations, fatback. You quitter, you.

Hang in there, man.

I quit 10 years ago.

Both parents died of lung cancer.

not pretty.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

Queequeg - both my parents died of cancer (not lung cancer though) since C appears a possibility in my genes I thought I better not carry on pushing my luck. Plus the kids and wife have been giving me a hard time on it.

Phil

• Members
of course if it's like last month, that's when HC will decide to flip the switch on v2.0 in which case you might only see

HarmonyCentralScheduledMaintenance.jpg

I wouldn't put it past them to pull the switch in the middle of the VOM, so I plan to post my VOM entry at the alternate site too, "just in case".

See, the alternate site would normally mirror this one, but if HC goes down, there would be nothing to mirror, would there? Hence, my posting to two separate sites.

Archived