Baritone fever

kwakatak

• Members

I've been listening to a lot of Andy McKee lately and just love the tonal range and character of his baritone. So much so in fact that I tuned both my Tak and Martin down to baritone depth and tooled around with the spaghetti-tension strings. I tuned the Martin back up once I got sick of the strings fretting out all the time.

Uh oh. I think my GAS is back! If I can get the rhythm down I might see a need develop...!

• Members

They're all pretty pricey though, aren't they? Is there a "budget model" out there?

used to be. Avanti. I paid $450 for my first baritone new. solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Looked kinda weird, like it had been designed by Picasso during his cubist stage.

I liked it so much I upgraded to a Larrivee a couple of years later, which has been discontinued.

The Alvarez Yairi YB1 Jumbo Baritone goes for $1600. Taylors are rolling in around $2700. Santa Cruz are more than that.

Keep your eye out for a used Avanti.

• Members

Just watched dvd of Italian who tuned it like you said, maybe lower, instead of slapping frets, he anchored the loose string on top, where the position markers are, but at the soundhole end of fretboard, so he just had this loose bottom string, sounding like a double bass. Quirkyin a medley and not showing off, he even managed to retune within a melody and carry on.

Archived