on-topic rant: busted back brace

kwakatak

• Members

I've made no secret that I don't baby my 35 year-old Tak and let my kids at it. Well, today as I was playing my Martin my 5 year-old manhandled the Tak and brought it to me. He's autistic so he doesn't know to be gentle and when he brought it to me I could hear something rattling around inside. Usually it's a toy or something but when I saw what it was I was kinda shocked.

It was a little piece of spruce and looked to be part of a brace. :eek:

Upon closer inspection tonight I saw that it's one of the back braces and the part that broke off is the very end where it cuts into the kerfing. I'm trying to figure out how it could've broken off like that. He really must have cracked the poor git so back into the off-limits room it goes.

I know it's serious, but will the guitar implode without a 1" section of back brace?

• Members

My guess is that the little piece of broken wood bracing isn't going to cause you any problems, Kwakatak. Besides, the guitar is replaceable; that little boy isn't.

I'd smear some Elmers on it, if you're worried about it, and jam it in there with a rubber ball on it to hold it in place while the glue dries. Maybe this was just a "wake up call" to let you know to put your stuff away.

• Members

Given what you've told us about that guitar, I'm surprised it hasn't imploded already. At this point I'd say it's probably fine. Since knockwood apparently hasn't seen this post I'll do the honors: Watch it or the guitar might implode and blow your pecker off. :D

• Members

My guess is that the little piece of broken wood bracing isn't going to cause you any problems, Kwakatak. Besides, the guitar is replaceable; that little boy isn't.

I'd smear some Elmers on it, if you're worried about it, and jam it in there with a rubber ball on it to hold it in place while the glue dries. Maybe this was just a "wake up call" to let you know to put your stuff away.

What he ^^^ said. I was going to add a step for loosening the strings first until I realized that without that step the rubber ball would never make it, just sliced bologna.

• Members

I wouldn't sweat the 1" piece in terms of tructural stbility. Prolly make it sound beter. I would take the strings off and make sure the rest of the brace is still firmly attached.

Kudos on leaving a guitar out that's accesible to the kids. Not to go all Esteban on you, but sharing your enjoyment of music with your kids is one of the most satisfying things. If the Tak is getting too feeble to be loved that hard, you might consider something more robust and replacable.

• Members

Don't worry about it. Sometimes when I build acoustics I feather the braces down flush with the back wood where they meet side kerfing. It allows the back to vibrate more and has an added bonus of me not having to cut notches in the kerfing to accept the braces. I got the idea from all the Harmony acoustics I've worked on with the same bracing style. I've yet to see a guitar back implode from it or fail there.

Most of the stress an acoustic deals with is at the soundboard. As long as you aren't getting any buzzing from the brace flapping back there ruining your sound I wouldn't worry about it.

Archived