Should I just quit???

Misha

• Members

Kids have the advantage of not placing limits on what they can do. They approach new activities with a degree of confidence that comes from never failing before.

In other words, their positive attitude allow them to do more than adults can do.

This, and what Kwak said.

Misha, all the notes are yours, to do whatever you want with. Be free.

• Members

Misha, I've been meaning to ask: are you trying to learn this one? If so, nice choice! This has to be my absolute favorite TE song. You shouldn't have nay trouble with it really. It's slow and thoughtful and the "pyrotechnics" really aren't necessary IMO. Just focus on keeping the melody clear and save the sweeping harmonics for later. :thu:

• Members
You know what, about 12 years ago I gave up playing electric guitar because I didn't have a fast right hand and couldn't do those fancy runs like a buddy of mine could do. I switch to bass(which I still love and it's a lot of fun too) and played that for a few years on and off but I finally came back to guitar because it's something I've played all of my life and it just felt right to play it.

So you can't play like "Joe Smoe", who cares, you don't need too. Just listen to all the music that's written with 3 simple chords that's totally popular. All you need to do is play well enough to make you happy. Sure, it's nice to set goals for yourself and to look up to great players but so what if you never get as good as they are. Ask yourself this question "Am I having fun playing guitar?" If you can answer "Yes." then keep on playing and get busy writing songs that are yours and that you can play using the chords and abilities that you have. Heck, Green Day isn't all that complicated but they're one of the top bands in the world. Lots of people love em' and I know anyone on this forum can play as well as those guys so sitck with it and have fun.
:thu:

P.S.

It doesn't matter how much I practice, I'll always be a hack. I've worked at playing day in and day out for a month and never really gotten any better. I am what I am and I just have to be happy playing like I play. Sad but true.

Excellent Frank... There is a song I have always wanted to play... it is really simple... Peter Yarrow's Rhythm lick on "If I had a Hammer" But I could never figure exactly how "HE" played it... found an old vid from 1963 and saw he was Capoed at the 2nd fret and a little sleuthing and he is playing G, Bm, C, D... but he was so happy and just tapping his feet away... it ain't hard, but to me anyway, an Infectious Rhythm, and one I have loved since I was a little kid:thu:

• Members

Kids have the advantage of not placing limits on what they can do. They approach new activities with a degree of confidence that comes from never failing before.

In other words, their positive attitude allow them to do more than adults can do.

And they have lots of free time which a lot of us working folks don't have. Personally I didn't think what she was playing was all that difficult. You'll just have to pick it out a few measures at a time. Don't worry about how good other people are. There's always someone better than someone else. Just enjoy the instrument.

• Members
Aw, Misha...!
:facepalm:

*sighs* Where do I start?

NEVER compare yourself to anyone else in this world in terms of "better" or "worse." It's OK to either watch others' performances as a consumer to either enjoy or pick apart for ideas. Music should be a passion, not a competition.

I think it's such a relief to just go ahead and be creative and let the river flow as it will, without being concerned with what others are playing, or their opinions. Like a child.

• Members
It's entirely possible to maintain a child-like approach, even in old age. Consider Django, IMO, it's the fun-factor, and playfulness that makes his playing appealing. As though he's musing, out loud, and the listeners just happen to be there.

Seems like about once a year I look back and realize I've improved somehow. But only about once a year. Seems like the rest of the time I'm just working on stuff.

I think it's such a relief to just go ahead and be creative and let the river flow as it will, without being concerned with what others are playing, or their opinions. Like a child.

Jeez, when you put it that way I can see why my wife has a problem whenever I pick up the guitar in her presence. :facepalm:

Archived