Looking for "MY" acoustic tone

Symmetry2170

• Members

I'm looking at getting a really nice acoustic guitar, one that will last me hopefully a lifetime. I really dig Martin's, Guild's and Taylor's. I've owned a Guild and it was a pretty solid instrument, but didn't spend much time with it before I had to sell it.

I played a couple martin's today, as I do pretty often when I check out local stores, and they just seemed to sound generic. There wasn't anything special to it, at least to my ears.

Played a Taylor 314-CE, which isn't incredible, but it sounded amazing. It had a lot of character and played really well.

I really want a solid back and sides acoustic guitar that has good projection, warmth and a bit of chime, and is plain looking but with just a hint of accoutrement. Nothing flashy at all. Can you guys recommend any brands and models for me? Looking to spend ~$2,000.

• Members

Most of it depends on what your ears like.

Rather than brand-names, you might want to focus on tone-woods.

What kind of Guild did you have before? It probably had a Spruce top.

What kind of back & sides did it have?

If you like Taylor - buy the Taylor. Or find a used Guild with the same

tone woods you had before - buy it.

Look at the Martin 15 series for solid Mahogany. They're superb.

I don't care much for the more expensive Martins I've played though.

One recommendation I have is to play a Cedar top guitar.

I personally prefer the sound of a Cedar top to a Spruce top.

Cedar & Rosewood are a really nice tone combination.

• Members

Well, to show you how much the "MY" tone thing varies, I had a 314 which I thought was a nice, but very generic guitar. I'm much more of a Martin sort of guy, and own two plus several clones (its the style that I build)

And since much of any recommendation will require a lot more information about the kind of music you play, your style of playing, whether you need the C or the E, just exactly what your definition of "warm" and "chime" is.....

The guitar that I would have chosen instead of the 314 is what I consider one of Martin's real sleepers - the OM21 - very playable (I like wide necks like the 314 had), the warmth of rosewood, understated elegance, affordable, and very versatile. However, we all have our preferences and what you really need to do is just keep playing things until something speaks to you

• Members

If you are looking for warm and chime you might try Gibson.

What I always tell people to explain the companies to people is:

Gibson- more even across the board tone good mids

Martin- lots of boom not a ton of treble but plenty of bass

Taylor- chimey they ring out not a lot of bass

Keep in mind this is generalizing for their dreds not anything else. Some people may disagree with me but from the ones I have played this seems to hold true.

• Members

Ok, I'll be the gadfly here : Try Blueridge. I "found " my tone with a BR 143.

Mel

I have yet to play a Blueridge, but I want to.

I think a big problem with the Martin I played the other day was that it had some pretty dead strings on it which I'm sure only added to the muddiness of the tone. I'm just going to play a bunch and see what I like best. I can't buy one anytime soon as I want to save up and be able to pay for it in full and walk out the door with it instead of financing it like I have with gear in the past.

• Members

I would hit the guitar shops hard, play as many as you can, don't be afraid to ask them to put new strings on a guitar that you are interested in any good shop will do this, time is on your side there is a heck of a lot of great used guitars out there, do your home work :thu:

• Members

To find the tone you want... One must first buy all the guitars one can buy. This is called GAS. The tricky part of GAS is buying all these without upsetting the wife/ GF and without wrecking the finances.
Then one by one, You weed them out. Buy low/sell high.
The last one standing is the winner! Kinda like Survivor for guitars:)

• Members
I would hit the guitar shops hard, play as many as you can, don't be afraid to ask them to put new strings on a guitar that you are interested in any good shop will do this, time is on your side there is a heck of a lot of great used guitars out there, do your home work
:thu:

Very interesting ... but stupid. Seriously cool Avatar!

• Members

Fixed.

To find the tone you want... One must first buy all the guitars one can buy. This is called GAS. The tricky part of GAS is buying all these without upsetting the wife/ GF and without wrecking the finances.

Then one by one, You weed them out.
Buy high/sell low

The last one standing is the winner! Kinda like Survivor for guitars:)

Archived