Which is a generally better for amplification, acoustic amps or powered speakers?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

acoustic amps give you more options to dial in the tone you want.

Powerd speakers mostly lack the proper inputs and means to adjust your tone. Most of the time, you would need an additional DI-box for powered speakers, too.

• Members

Depends on the venue/room size. For smaller rooms or coffee shop style gigs I prefer the acousic amp for ease of use/portability and onboard EQ. For larger gigs you will need to go through a PA, but you can still use the acoustic amp as a monitor.

• Members

Powered speakers don't usually have the EQ features and effects like tremelo, reverb etc that an acoustic amp has. The big deal breaker for me is the lack of a feedback notch filter to get rid of that big feedback honk that seems to happen around 440Hz. Also of course acoustic amps are supposedly "voiced" for acoustic guitar more...but tone is subjective. I have heard of people using powered speakers in a pinch with good results. Maybe they cost less?

• Members

For VERY small SOLO gigs, I'll use an acoustic amp as a mini-PA...for anything else, I'll use a powered mixer and passive speakers, on stands.

I won't use any powered speaker except a sub (or two) or a powered monitor (or two...or more)...powered speakers belong on the floor, not up in the air.

Too dangerous to the powered speaker and those walking around it. :idea:

• Members

I'd throw my vote in favor of a PA system. Even a small PA is going to give you better sound coverage than a single acoustic amp. A pair of PA speakers on stands (or on the floor) is going to do a much better job of evenly filling the room with sound than an acoustic amp will. And a PA will typically give you more channels than an acoustic amp too.

Archived