Help me decide on an acoustic choices..

johnkline

• Members

I'm interested in a dread size, and my budget is around 550 bucks. I'm mostly a rosewood guy, but there's a couple mahogany guitars that would work. I've narrowed it down to these. The Blueridge and D-1 are front runners for me even though one's a hog and the other rose. But the name and quality of a Martin is a strong influence. I've heard some great things on the blueridge and yamaha, epiphone not so much...

This is just for a "beater" to have a dread, all my other acoustics are 000's rosewood...

Martin D-1 (the older discontinued one)

Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500R or M

Blueridge BR-160

Yahama FG730S

• Members

I was seriously considering all of those guitars recently. I really liked the masterbilt line, but found that the guitars are actually a little too bassy/bottom-heavy for my tastes. They also tend to sound dead sometimes (could have been the strings though).

Blueridges are supposed to be amazing, but I personally just couldn't get into them. They seemed to feel cheap in my hands and when I strummed a chord, the guitars sounded like a lower-level guitar to me (I tried a $600 slope shoulder and a dreadnought of about similar value).

Yamaha was a great guitar. I really liked it. No complaints really.

Martin D-1 would be my personal choice out of the 4, simply because it has the famous martin voicing and is relatively cheap for a Martin.

Keep in mind that these are all only my opinions. You may think blueridges and masterbilts are amazing, like many others do as well.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the guitars. They're all great.

At the end of my search, I ended up with a 1970s Guild D25M. It's a stellar guitar; several reviewers on here say they match up favorably to their Martin D-28s. They can be found for $400-800 on craigslist. It really is a quality guitar.

Good luck!

• Members

I'd go Seagull in that price range, but out of the ones you mentioned, Masterbilt

Damn! That's odd. The Masterbilt would be the FIRST one I'd scratch off the list. I haven't really found one that did anything for me.

Of the other three I'd pick

1) the D-1 (it's a Martin, man!)

2) the BR-160 (played 'em..love 'em)

3) the FG-730S (I own one....it's really good, but I think the BR-160 is just a tad better)

• Members

The Blueridges are not too bad, but I always think that they carry too much bling and that the finish is too thick.

The Martin D1 is deffo a way to go, if you want to get a used git. Obviously the Martin warranty only applies to the first owner, so you're on your own, when buying used.

When you want to go for a new git, it almost has to be the Yammie. Best bang for the buck and deffo gives the gits 2x the porice a run for their money. Great consistent quality, too.

• Members

I voted for the Yamaha FG730S (both here in the poll, and with my wallet :) ), but I agree with knockwood -- the Yamaha LL6 is in your price-range and is a no-brainer great choice. Love my LS6 and my FG730S, but truth-be-told, I could probably replace both of them with the LL6 and be very satisfied (though I like the fact that I can take the FG wherever and not worry about it).

Archived