Fret cleaning tip

Fred Fartboski

• Members

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but here goes. I've been using a four sided fingernail buffer to clean up frets. It's a block of foam with really superfine grit on each side. It cleans and shines up the frets really nice without scratching the frets or the fingerboard. They cost only a buck or two at beauty supply shops.

My wife happened to have one lying around one day when I had all the strings off one of my guitars. I've been using one ever since.

• Members

Actually Fred you may have come across a new craze fir cleaning Frets

may become famous with the " Fred Fatborski " fret cleaning method

:thu: Fred..Seems a gd :idea:

But a dont fancy going into a Beauty store here as then tongues

wag :confused: can get small-minded people here

some like to think the wrong way :)

So ye gd tip and ill get ma wife to get such so as to try out :lol:

But can just imagine all the guitar players now catching on

to this method soon and sending their wifes..girlfriends to the local store

But as fir the single guys.. Erm What can i do for you young man..erm

The Fred Fatborski fret cleaning.. erm thingy :lol:

Gd tip Fred :thu:

• Members

The buffer is a nice idea. It would probably even polish the frets.

I use 0000 steel wool too JT. Just wrap a magnet in a paper towel and hover it over the areas you worked. If you use a rare-earth magnet, then don't get it too close to the frets.

• Members

Great idea! Has anyone tried using one of those green Scotchbrite pads? Seems they would do the trick, along with cleaning the fretboard. Or are those too abrasive for that?

• Members

Hearing about the use of emery-boards etc for cleaning Fretboards

fretboards really shouldnt get in such a state of being so dirty anyhow

especially if you wash yer hands everytime before playing in which i do

all the time.. and am not a smoker as being such doesnt help a guess

hygiene is just a natural reaction.. and i feel just giving the guitars fretboard

a clean when changing strings once per mth or so is fine

with just using a baby-wipe or whatever :)

• Members

You got a pic of that thing?

I don't want to walk around the beauty store and have to ask questions or nothin'.

Here:

manicure-4-sided-nail-buffer-block-1216-

It's about an inch square and a few inches long. Make sure you get the one superfine grit for buffing the nail surface. Some have a coarser grit for filing and rounding out the nail tips.

• Members

One reason I do so much fret cleaning is that everything that can tarnish in Thailand does tarnish! Including plastic! I should post a pic or two of what this climate did to my Tacoma jumbo: not only are tuners rusty, but the finish comes off the sides in big sheets like sunburned skin..... still sounds fab with piano like tones.... but if I don't do fret polishing regularly, I would need more tetnus shots....

• Members

One reason I do so much fret cleaning is that everything that can tarnish in Thailand does tarnish! Including plastic! I should post a pic or two of what this climate did to my Tacoma jumbo: not only are tuners rusty, but the finish comes off the sides in big sheets like sunburned skin..... still sounds fab with piano like tones.... but if I don't do fret polishing regularly, I would need more tetnus shots....

High humidity there?

Archived