High E string string is buzzing...

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I had a similar situation just yesterday. I had restrung my electric guitar and had a similar sitar sound on the B string. It turned out that as the string passed over the saddle it was shifted ever so slightly from the middle. I loosened the string reseated it on the saddle and the ringing sound went away.

• Members

It happened after changing the saddle. I do believe that the ball end is seated properly.

I'd double check the ball-end before assuming anything else, but it could be anything from too much contact between string and saddle to slightly risen fret end to string vibration in the nut slot. Noises such as the one you describe can often seem to be from one end of the string length, yet prove to be from the other. It's often a process of elimination.

Are you using the same gauge and brand of strings as before?

• Members

I checked the ball end, and it is good. My initial thought was that a fret had gotten loose, but the frets are as they should be. There was no buzz before the saddle change so I doubt it is the nut slot, but I'll check to make sure the string is seated correctly in the slot. I am using the same gauge and brand of strings as before (they are actually the exact same strings).

When looking at the saddle I thought where the high E string met the saddle didn't have, for the lack of a better word, sharp enough contact point. I think I'll get some sandpaper to fix that and see if it helps.

• Members

Try duplicating the crown profile of the original saddle and this should cure the problem. :thu:

-----------

N.B. If ever in need of help or advice, try to provide as much information as possible and doing so reduces the guesswork whilst also helping others try to help you.

• Members

I sanded the saddle where the high E string sits and it is still buzzing. I've also noticed something else, it doesn't really buzz on downstrokes but it really does on upstrokes. That don't make much sense to me.

Have you tried switching back to the original saddle in order to eliminate it from the equation? Did you use the same string gauge and string brand?

If the saddle proves fine I'd check the nut slot to ensure the string is seated properly and also check for loose fittings on the tuning machines. Another check you can carry out is for slightly raised fret ends.

Without being able to handle or hear the guitar in question it's virtually impossible to accurately identify the problem and the cause could anything from a marginal change in playing technique, worn plectrum tip, or the truss rod vibrating in it's channel.

• Members

As Gary says, have you tried going back to the old saddle?

Why did you replace the saddle (different material, intonation, desire to change action...)?

Did you set the new saddle up exactly the same as the old one (namely intonation and action)? What does your relief and action measure (before and after)?

Does the saddle fit the slot correctly? Do you have a UST? Are pickup wires rattling on anything inside?

Did you change anything else? You said these are the same strings - is that literally true? Did you remove them, pull the pins and put them back in or did you just loosen the strings enough to pull the old saddle out and drop the new one in? Same pins in the same holes?

Are you sure the buzz comes from the bridge area (it can be really hard to pinpoint)? Does it happen only on the open E or fretted, if so, which fret(s)? Any othere sign of buzzing on any other string?

Have you tried removing the string, slightly kinking the end and reseating it? Do you have slotted or unslotted pins (and slotted bridge)? Is your bridge ramped? Did you change anything here (this is in reference to your question about break angle - why would you think it might have changed unless you changed action height, compensation or slotting/ramping)?

Can you confirm the buzz on upstroke, not on downstroke? Are you playing with nails or a pick? Same pick?

• Members

The saddle is a different material and the action was lowered. The saddle does fit the slot correctly and there is no UST or electronics of any kind. I pulled the bridge pins out but it is same pins in the same hole. The buzz happens on the high E string on both open and fretted notes, and not the slightest bit of buzz on other strings. I'm fairly sure the buzz is coming from the saddle.

Bridge pins are slotted, bridge is not slotted or ramped. Strings where literally the exact same ones. Buzz does happen only on upstrokes, both with my fingernails and with a pick. I have not tried kinking the end of the string and reseating it. I no longer have the old saddle.

• Members

Before jumping to possibly hasty conclusions, over complicating matters and potentially chasing from one end of the scale length to the other, the best tactic is to always retain the original saddle in case of potential problems such as the ones you're experiencing. You can then always revert to the original set-up/configuration as a means of determining the cause of such problems.

If the nut was buzz free prior to the saddle change, is there anything that could have caused such a problem to arise? e.g. possible difference in saddle crown radius, increase in string gauge, dirt in string slots (Nut), truss rod adjustment/change in neck relief, etc.

Uncovering a reason will typically reveal a solution and you definitely need to do this before moving ahead with any further adjustments, otherwise you'll reach a stage where you're chasing ghosts.

You mention lowering the action, which I'd assume was adjusted via reducing the saddle's height, but is the new saddle an exact match to the original and did you adjust neck relief during the process? Did you adjust neck relief or make any other adjustments?

Try inserting a slip of paper into the relevant nut slot - as rightly suggested by Garthman - in order to determine whether or not it's the cause of the buzz. Also double and triple check the string ball-end is tight against the bridge plate, but sight unseen, I've a subtle feeling - if the problem only arose after the saddle change and action tweaks - the cause is slight back bow in the neck that's leading to 1st fret buzz.

Archived