Help me find a nice Acoustic Guitar?

entertainment9

• Members

Hi, there. I've been playing electric (Strat) for a couple of years and am currently looking into buying my first acoustic. I was hoping some helpful HC's could point me in the right direction. I'm pretty broke so I'm looking for something cheap, sub-300 if possible.

I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to acoustics. I'm quite small arms and hands wise and have trouble with a lot of acoustics being too big for me.

I've just been looking into this Silver Creek Natural T-170 Acoustic Guitar? Anyone have hands on experience with this?

Thanks for any input.

• Members

I was recently shopping for a guitar in that price range for my sister. She, too, preferred a smaller guitar for comfort. The problem, of course, is that they make a LOT more dreadnaught-size guitars than smaller ones.

I'm not familiar with the Silver Creek you mentioned. However, Yamaha makes a smaller guitar (which they call the "folk body") in that price range. It's the FG720S and is equivalent in build quality the the 700/730 that is often recommended here (quite justifiably at that price range, btw).

Seagull also makes a "mini-jumbo" guitar in that price range. Seems like it was $310 or $320 at the GC where I played it. Sounded VERY good. I'm not sure how the "mini-jumbo" body style compares in terms of size to a dread. The lower bout is probably just about as big. But it wasn't very deep, as I recall, so it felt pretty comfortable to me (and I prefer OM-sized guitars myself, even though I'm 6' and can handle a much larger guitar).

Lots of luck with your search! :cool:

• Members

Best bet is visiting a store/s and trying all the different guitars in yer
price range out and then can make a decision

Dont forget the used market on yer craigslist also but best then taking someone whom knows about acoustic guitars along to try it out if one comes to mind..

But i reckon your Craigslist isnt as good as the UKs equivalent of Gumtree

where i got my 2 guitars from and along with at the time a flight case
and a padded gig bag also with the guitars.. all in cheap as chips
Not trying to ruffle a few usa feathers in saying such but its my true feelings
as more people in USA tend to be into guitars etc i feel therefor more people after such..but also in Scotland here i also had both guitars brought right to ma house and without extra charge..no bad eh :thu::)

Meantime awe the best in getting a suitable guitar..sure you shall :)

• Members
I was recently shopping for a guitar in that price range for my sister. She, too, preferred a smaller guitar for comfort. The problem, of course, is that they make a LOT more dreadnaught-size guitars than smaller ones.

I'm not familiar with the Silver Creek you mentioned. However, Yamaha makes a smaller guitar (which they call the "folk body") in that price range. It's the FG720S and is equivalent in build quality the the 700/730 that is often recommended here (quite justifiably at that price range, btw).

Seagull also makes a "mini-jumbo" guitar in that price range. Seems like it was $310 or $320 at the GC where I played it. Sounded VERY good. I'm not sure how the "mini-jumbo" body style compares in terms of size to a dread. The lower bout is probably just about as big. But it wasn't very deep, as I recall, so it felt pretty comfortable to me (and I prefer OM-sized guitars myself, even though I'm 6' and can handle a much larger guitar).

Lots of luck with your search!
:cool:

No doubt just a typo above, but the smaller FG-series Yamaha is the FS720S.

The FG-series gits are a good choice for someone used to an electric guitar neck. They're smooth (not high-gloss finish) and not particularly large/deep.

I have the FG730S, and my son has the FG700S. We love them.

Also, if you can stretch your budget a tad, check out the Yamaha LS-6 (close to a 000-size), and the LL-6 (dred).

Good luck!

• Members
Hi, there. I've been playing electric (Strat) for a couple of years and am currently looking into buying my first acoustic. I was hoping some helpful HC's could point me in the right direction. I'm pretty broke so I'm looking for something cheap, sub-300 if possible.

I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to acoustics. I'm quite small arms and hands wise and have trouble with a lot of acoustics being too big for me.

I've just been looking into this
Silver Creek Natural T-170 Acoustic Guitar
? Anyone have hands on experience with this?

Thanks for any input.

I have lots of hand-on experience with the T-170. I've played the Yamahas, too.

First, that deal you linked to is now dead, and the T-170 is back up to $400.

Yamaha build quality and consistency is better than the Silver Creek. The Yamaha is fine for strumming, although I find it pretty bright. The Silver Creek is a *much* better fingerstyle guitar, and it has all solid woods through-out.

Personally, I prefer the tone and projection of the Silver Creek, but others may differ. :)

Archived