This looks suspicious

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I saw this guitar on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WASHBURN-EA-22O-DOUBLE-NECK-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-w-OHSC-/270639268358?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f035b8206

The last year of production was 2000 and he has the guitar listed as new. They are considered new until they get into the hands of an end user, and I have a hard time believing that in ten years only the manufacturer, distributor, and retailers are the only ones to have possession of it. I sent him a message asking about who's had it, as some people don't know the legal definition of new. I got an answer from him, his answer was "Thank you." :facepalm:

• Members

??? The listing says "new condition." I admit, not much of a response, but what's the issue?

New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects.

• Members

??? The listing says "new condition." I admit, not much of a response, but what's the issue?

The legal definition of "new" is that I can never have been in the hands of an end user, even once. Not everyone is aware of the legal definition of new. If you bought it new and never played it, it is as good as new, but not legally new.

That model hasn't been produced in ten years, and I find it a little hard to believe that a dealer would hold onto it for ten years. So I messaged the guy asking if its only been in the possession of the manufacturer, distributors, dealers, etc., and not and end user. His response was of "Thank you" doesn't really answer anything.

• Members

Yes, he is saying that it is new. But what I'm saying is that I don't know whether or not he is aware of what the legal definition of "new" is. So I asked him a question to see if he did know what the legal definition of "new" is. And his answer, if you can call it that, didn't answer my question.

• Members

That model's not one of Washburn's successes, so it's likely that it simply didn't sell for 10 (or more) years...For that kind of scratch, I'd want to play it 1st, or have a ten-day "deciding option"...

The Alvarez version sounds vastly better, IMABO.

1eor7-S_Alvarez_100_1972.jpg

Here's another option, at a better price point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-neck-acoustic-electric-guitar-6-and-12-string-/200518279740?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eafd2223c

• Members

That model's not one of Washburn's successes, so it's likely that it simply didn't sell for 10 (or more) years...For that kind of scratch, I'd want to play it 1st, or have a ten-day "deciding option"...

The Alvarez version sounds vastly better, IMABO.

1eor7-S_Alvarez_100_1972.jpg

Here's another option, at a better price point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-neck-acoustic-electric-guitar-6-and-12-string-/200518279740?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eafd2223c

I would never buy the Washburn at the price he was asking, but at this point I have no interest in it at all. I'd much rather have the Alvarez, though unfortunately those things rarely come up for auction.

• Members

The person selling this guitar has it listed as "new condition". If you read the fine print on Ebay's condition ratings it technically doesn't fall into the "new condition category" but that is how he listed it. I emailed him and this is the response I received for anyone interested:

I am a musician & collector. The guitar was made in 2000 & has only been played a couple of times. It has been stored in climate/humidity controlled, smoke-free environment. Neck & bridge are straight. It is in new condition with no dings or marks whatsoever, but no warranty. Thanks.

• Members

The person selling this guitar has it listed as "new condition". If you read the fine print on Ebay's condition ratings it technically doesn't fall into the "new condition category" but that is how he listed it. I emailed him and this is the response I received for anyone interested:

I am a musician & collector. The guitar was made in 2000 & has only been played a couple of times. It has been stored in climate/humidity controlled, smoke-free environment. Neck & bridge are straight. It is in new condition with no dings or marks whatsoever, but no warranty. Thanks.

That's about what I would have expected. Ebay's condition ratings are just boilerplate verbage... you have to select one of them, and it may not be fully accurate.

I read the listing as "new condition", as he stated in his description. I would expect it to be free of scratches, dings, scuffs, in as new, playable condition. I wouldn't expect any warranty or even the original packaging tho.

• Members

Since "New" is a description of condition, "New Condition" would be the same as "New". If it sat in a box under his bed for ten years, confusion could be avoided by describing it as "As New", "Mint" or "Unplayed". I can see how this could be unintentional and not meant to be deceptive, but failure to clarify in the face of a direct question makes me wonder.

• Members

Since "New" is a description of condition, "New Condition" would be the same as "New". If it sat in a box under his bed for ten years, confusion could be avoided by describing it as "As New", "Mint" or "Unplayed". I can see how this could be unintentional and not meant to be deceptive, but failure to clarify in the face of a direct question makes me wonder.

That is exactly what I was getting at, you just put it a lot better than I did.

• Members

Not to belabor the point, but read the words.

"New condition" does not mean "New". It means it is in a condition that could be equated as new. Just like the term "Mint condition". It is not freshly minted, it is in a condition that is similar to being freshly minted.

The upper part of the listing, under "Item Specifics" is probably selected text, not written by the seller. The text with the graphic was likely written by the seller and it says "New condition". No intentional deception, just inherent inconsistencies with eBay listings.

It's like you're blinding yourself to, like, the word "NEW" and, like, not seeing the rest of the, like, phrase. Maybe, like, if the word "like" was, like, in front of it, it would, like, make more sense. :p

• Members

These photos are dated 01/17/2007.

But no way would I ever pay that kind of money for any Pacific Rim Washburn.

(Not to mention that I think these doubleneck gizmos are nothing more than novelty items.)

A better description if the seller chose to be a bit more accurate might be "as new".

For what it's worth, I always have a knee-jerk negative reaction to the word "mint". In it's numismatic origins, Mint means untouched by human hands (and to me, too).

Archived