• Members

The strings I liked in order of preference were:

Elixir polyweb
DR Sunbeam Phosphor Bronze
Martin SP 80/20
Martin SP Phosphor Bronze

Really didn't like:
Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze

Needless to say I have a box full of choice #4 and I am on record as saying that Elixirs suck.

Now if you will all excuse me, I am going to hang myself.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for doing the test Freeman!

I think JT is going to disown me.

I picked #4 - Elixir Nanowebs PB's (sorry JT)

I also picked #5 - DR Sunbeams.

Actually, I'm not too surprised about liking the Nanowebs. I used them before and really liked them. It also comes as no surprised that I didn't like #3. I hate Polywebs (maybe JT will give me partial credit :D ).

I have been curious about the DR Sunbeams. I will be sure to give them a test drive when I run out of strings. I think I may throw a set of Nanowebs on my Washburn. I plan to leave it hanging on the wall. The Nanowebs will last longer.

• Members

I thought that I'd been buying Elixirs for their convenience and merely acceptable tone. But I picked them out of the lineup as my favorite two strings. Now I have to figure out if I picked them because they're what I'm used to hearing. :mad:

• Members

It is interesting that the DR Sunbeams got such high remarks (I liked them too) - they are a PB string wound on a round core (most string have hexagonal cores which bite into the winding). DR says that the round core helps the sustain of the note - I think I can hear that in some of the harmonics.

I want to thank DaveW who had DR ship me the strings - I'm going to try a set on my 000 next change and maybe also try the extended play strings that they sent. If you folks want to give DR's a shot be aware that their naming is not the same as the rest of the industry. For all of these tests I used 0.012 to 0.053 or 54 which almost everyone calls "Lights". DR on the other hand names these "Mediums". They also make a "Medium Light" (0.011 - 0.050) and "Lite" (0.010 - 0.048), and this probably shows their background as in the electric guitar string business......

I have gently plugged DR, and in particular the Sunbeam's for a while now. DR stands for Dronge & Rappaport, the two original owners. Ben Rappaport retired and sold his share to Mark Dronge a number of years ago. Mark is a good friend of mine, and I do some of their printing. Mark's father was Alfred Dronge, the founder of Guild guitars. Mark worked for Guild for many years, starting in Hoboken NJ, and at one time was their president. While DR's electric strings far outsell their acoustic line, Mark is very well educated in acoustic guitars. I am in their factory in Emerson NJ, my original home town, about once a month. I can honestly assure you their strings are indeed hand wound, one at a time. I have played their Rare's for years, because that is what Mark gave me, but about a year ago he handed me a few sets of the Sunbeams after I told him I had just bought an OM-21. The difference was amazing. YMMV.

• Members

Conspicuously, the Cleartones are absent from the program. They, perhaps, don't represent a distinct "type" of string, but they are different from all others.

I'm not suprised that the elixers turned my crank. I am, however, enlightened on the score of the coating itself, as I thought I prefered a thinner coating. So the question occurrs to me; do I like the tone of the coated strings? I thought I only liked the convenience of them.

I'll be ostrasized, by JT, for sure. :)

• Members

Hey Freeman, you've helped us all so much already I'm almost embarrassed to ask for a little more help but... Would you be so kind as to let us know how the Sunbeams and Polywebs fare on down the road a bit? They were my top two favs of your wonderful test and I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks yet again Freeman!!!

• Members

The DRs can be a little hard to find in acoustic. Have yet to see them in a store, including Elderly's. I get my Sunbeams from this guy:

http://www.digitalcartography.com/rca13.htm

Check out his site. Lumpy is a real character with an interesting background. He knows the guitar and he knows strings. A bonus is that I get an autographed photo with every order.;)

I have to admit, I kind of liked the Elixer PBs. I was one of the guys who laid low, admittedly out of fear I would pick an Elixer string. I actually chose #5 as my favorite. Turns out it is what I have been using for a couple years. Whew!

Thanks Freeman. Dan Hill's got nothin' on you in the "great people" department.:)

• Members
I have gently plugged DR, and in particular the Sunbeam's for a while now. DR stands for Dronge & Rappaport, the two original owners. Ben Rappaport retired and sold his share to Mark Dronge a number of years ago. Mark is a good friend of mine, and I do some of their printing. Mark's father was Alfred Dronge, the founder of Guild guitars. Mark worked for Guild for many years, starting in Hoboken NJ, and at one time was their president. While DR's electric strings far outsell their acoustic line, Mark is very well educated in acoustic guitars. I am in their factory in Emerson NJ, my original home town, about once a month. I can honestly assure you their strings are indeed hand wound, one at a time. I have played their Rare's for years, because that is what Mark gave me, but about a year ago he handed me a few sets of the Sunbeams after I told him I had just bought an OM-21. The difference was amazing. YMMV.

I've never tried them on my acoustics, maybe I should? I'm a huge fan of the DR HighBeams and use those exclusively on a MM Stringray 5er. IMO, there is a serious difference among various bass strings, and after experimenting for years, often times shelling out $70 per pack for the tests, I'm stickin' with the DR's. :thu:

• Members

WOW! How incredibly interesting. I'm so sorry to have been out of town for the not-knowing-which-is-which portion. But the #3 Elixirs really do seem to do a great job on the D18. And I've already made my burnt offerings to the E.S.C. god on the altar in my backyard, so I'm okay for saying that, I think.

That said, its pretty unanimously thought that some strings sound better on some guitars than others. And the Polywebs that sound great on the D18 sound tinny and unforgiving on my Epi. Still, this was a really informative and awesome task you took on, Freeman, and we all can't begin to thank you enough for opening our eyes! And, begrudingly, for making some of us E.S.C. folks recalculate our beliefs. :D

Ellen

• Members

I have dishonored the E.S.C. and will commit ritual disembowelment at once.

Wow Knock, you picked the Polywebs.....JT is going make a stop in Brooklyn next time he's out your way and drop kick you. ;)

Don't feel bad, I picked the Nanowebs.

• Members

Well, I picked 5 then 2 eyes shut. I'm just amazed at the polywebs. Don't that just beat all. Naturally I just got a set of nanowebs from MF. I'll send 'em back, unless one of you all want to trade them for a set of polywebs, Hud?

• Members

Hmm. I've been a strong proponent of DR Strings Rare Earth Phosphor Bronze acoustic strings for some number of years. They are, essentially, the only string I've put on any of my acoustic guitars in years with one exception. A fellow gave me a set of John Pearse 012s and I put them on my FG411S. I will be going back to DRs but may, upon FK's test and your input, just may try the Sunbeams on it. If they kick ass I'll try 'em on the FG150 and if they do well there they'll likely do well on the Ventura. Not sure about the 12'r

I have not liked their electric strings on my electrics but have not tried their Pure Blues yet.

Their website is now horrendous. I've sent them an email. They need to fire their web site designer. Hope that poor attempt doesn't translate to building a poor string.

• Members

Hey Freeman, I just ordered a 10 pack of D'Addario PBs. If you PM me your snail mail address I'll send you a set if you want to add them to the mix. If not no biggie. I'm just amazed you put this much work into it for us!

• Members

Hey Freeman, I just ordered a 10 pack of D'Addario PBs. If you PM me your snail mail address I'll send you a set if you want to add them to the mix. If not no biggie. I'm just amazed you put this much work into it for us!

Thanks, 'bro, but I'll pass. I'm going on vacation and don't want to change strings for a month LOL.

• Members

Thanks, 'bro, but I'll pass. I'm going on vacation and don't want to change strings for a month LOL.

I don't blame you... I'm sure you are having nightmares about being attacked by giant string winders.

• Members

I have a string related question for anyone out there. I recently tried low tension strings on my Avalon. They felt lovely to play, but they produced a strange rattle every time I hit the six string. It was not a buzz and the relief of the neck seemed OK. I took the strings off and replaced them with standard tension strings and everything was back to normal. :confused:
Any ideas?

• Members
I have a string related question for anyone out there. I recently tried low tension strings on my Avalon. They felt lovely to play, but they produced a strange rattle every time I hit the six string. It was not a buzz and the relief of the neck seemed OK. I took the strings off and replaced them with standard tension strings and everything was back to normal.
:confused:
Any ideas?

not enough tension, mebbe. :confused:

• Members
I have a string related question for anyone out there. I recently tried low tension strings on my Avalon. They felt lovely to play, but they produced a strange rattle every time I hit the six string. It was not a buzz and the relief of the neck seemed OK. I took the strings off and replaced them with standard tension strings and everything was back to normal.
:confused:
Any ideas?

When you installed them did you make sure the ball ends were pulled up tight against the bridgeplate before you put the pins in? I put a little kink in the last 1/2" or so, stick it in and hold the pin in very loosely while I pull the string up tight. Then the pin can be pushed on in (remember that it is there to wedge the ball against the b/p - it does not have to be too tight).

Symptoms will be rattles or buzzes that sound like they are coming from inside the body, and will happen whether the string is fretted or not.

Archived