String Test

Freeman Keller

• Members

I have a maple back/sides, sitica topped guitar. I have always used phorsphor bronze strings because I hated the initial brassy sound from 80/20's. I keep strings on my guitar for a while and I rather have strings sounding good in the long term. As long as that brassy sound that the 80/20's have dies off in a few days, I don't mind using them at all. Today I have to change strings (I've had the same strings on the guitar for 6 months) so I'm gonna pick up a pack of 80/20's and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting the string test Freeman.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have a string related question for anyone out there. I recently tried low tension strings on my Avalon. They felt lovely to play, but they produced a strange rattle every time I hit the six string. It was not a buzz and the relief of the neck seemed OK. I took the strings off and replaced them with standard tension strings and everything was back to normal.
:confused:
Any ideas?

Which model Avalon? Are you using nylon strings? Ball end or loop?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'll add my 2 cents, I've used a ton of strings, but my tests are very different becuase something about my body chemistry tarnishes bronze strings quickly so they go completely dead within a week so I pretty much have to stick to coated strings. I like the sound of the PB Nano Elixirs but when I use them it seems like 1 out of 3 sets will break a string with less than a week worth of play, and I don't ever break strings on any other strings I play on. With the cost of Elixirs it def is annoying.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Just googled this out... looks like a great amount of work done, and a precious one, too. But - all the links are dead now! Not even the Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org) has them. So,

Freeman,

(1) Could you (or anybody else) please repost the sound records anywhere?

(A single .zip or .rar file would be the most easy to post as well as to download.)

(2) Would your please grant the permission to someone having his/her own website to host the files on a long-term basis? (Websites like media.putfile and rapidshare do not let the files to remain accessible for years.)

(3) Could all the same be done to the Pin Test records (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1534428)?

And,

(4) Does anybody know if any similar test records exist for the classical guitar synthetic strings?

Hope all this is still possible.... But anyway, thank you VERY much for that really great service to the guitar community you have committed!

• Members

Ridax, thank you for the interest in the old Tests, and yes I still have the original wav and mp3 files. One of the reasons that we created the HCAG Annex was to host some of the technical articles, as well as music files from many of the forumites. At one time we had a sticky link to the Annex and several of us who frequented both HCAG and the Annex had links in our sigs.

I wasn't aware that the sound clips were no longer at the Annex, it might be as simple as an e-mail to Krash to get them working again (the members music files still seem to be working fine). I also would be very happy to furnish the clips and the text of both of the Tests to anyone who would like to host them, and I can certainly e-mail them as an attachment if someone wants them.

I'm flattered that people still think that the Tests are valuable, I've often wished that I had the time to expand them and to do a test on saddle materials. I don't know of anything for nylon or gut strings, but it might be something to pursue at one of the lutherie forums.

• Members

Got the sound clips working at the Annex. Also, this kind of inspires me to add some strings and redo some parts of it that I wasn't totally happy with.

The old Pin Test is still there also if anyone cares about pins.

Thanks for re-activating the links! This is a great thread and should be kept going in perpetuity.

• Members

I'd be interested in knowing if those of you who participated in the initial tests still have the same opinions. Even though there certainly wasn't a universal consensus, there seemed to be at least some clear favorites. Have the favored strings stood the test of time? Any new opinions/thoughts?

• 4 years later...
  • Members
How can i listen to the string test . Ive been looking at all the reviews for sunbeams and like what i see ive always used martin sp pb 12s. Ill change accasionally to daddarios pb 12s for the softer bass strings but want to try something new .

Hi Chris and welcome to HCAG. The string test was first published almost eight years ago. The sound clips were first put on a hosting site which was a hassle to maintain. A year or so later a forumite created an auxillary site (we called it the Annex or the Krash Site) and hosted the clips there. That too went away. Somewhere in my archives I've go the original sound clips but it would be a lot of work to try to host them so my suggestion is for you to repeat it on your own guitar. Put a set of the Martins on, play and record it, then try the DR's - see if you like them and if they feel different. Try to keep everything the same if you can - that's hard to do but really important.

Let us know what you think.

• Members

ive ordered the sunbeams to replace the daddario 80/20s which are to bright ill let yous know what i think.

I'll be interested in your comments. Two things are going on here - the Sunbeams are phosphor bronze so they should be less bright (or "warmer") and they have a round core instead of the usual hex. It will be interesting to see if you can feel a difference.

• Members

Well put the strings on and i really like them theyve got a crisper base than other phosphors to my ears. I use the martin method which i trim the excess after pitch. I got them to pitch a noticed the g string had started to unravell at the supposed crimped end. I dont think this should matter as i had them to pitch before or does it?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived