Unforseen GAS: I NEED a nylon string

kwakatak

• Members

While I was browsing for options for my 3yo son I picked up a 1/2 size Yamaha nylon string and got a little carried away. Before I knew it I was in the high end room plucking on a Taylor nylon string in cedar/EIR. The notes sound like water droplets and the strings are just so much more responsive to dynamics than steel strings. :love:

Crap. Add another guitar to my GAS list. Not any specific model, just a nylon string in general. :facepalm:

• Members

If you are not afraid of ebay, every now and then I will see Yairi classicals go relatively cheap. I kick myself for letting a CY 116 get by me a couple of weeks ago. It went for ~130. I didn't realize until too late what a great deal it was.

Most of the guitars I buy on ebay, I get on BIN's by looking at "items newly listed". Hudman pointed that out to me once. People will often list items, not really knowing what they have. DISCLAIMER: You have to be really careful. Obviously there are people who list, knowing EXACTLY what they have. I've been lucky so far. I just bought a 2005 Stratocaster for $230 and it had a freakin' Road Case. the guitar was perfect and the case is worth around 200. I was very happy.

Does anybody need a good strat????:thu:

• Members

I don't know which model Yamaha you were looking at, but I ended up with a 3/4 size Yamaha CS40 a couple of years ago when I was at GC "just browsing". They had one left and it had a "manger's special" price on it of $74.95......about $35 less than it was currently selling for on line. It didn't have so much as a smudge on it......just couldn't leave it hanging on the wall at that price.....so, it went home with me.

I've had a lot of fun with it, but I don't play any classical on it at all. I've found it makes a great little guitar for out on our sun porch for folk and blues songs. I've come to the conclusion that it sounds pretty nice when picked with a Dunlop Herco medium. Hell, I even put a tortoise shell pick guard on it!

Don't know that I'd want something nicer some day, but I've sure gotten my money's worth out of this one. I don't play it a lot, but sometimes I take spells and play it for four days straight. I've got Martin high tension strings on it.......sounds pretty good to me.

• Members
... I've been lucky so far. I just bought a 2005 Stratocaster for $230 and it had a freakin' Road Case. the guitar was perfect and the case is worth around 200. I was very happy.

Does anybody need a good strat????
:thu:

That's awesome. I don't *need* one, but I've been thinking about getting a second one to set up for slide/alternative tunings. Awesome deal.

• Members
Yeah well, it was just a thought. The one thing that bugs me about nylon string guitars are that they have little sustain. I'd never give up my steel strings because of that.

Steel definitely has more sustain and upper partials. Good to have some of each guitar type in your arsenal.

While you're at it, you also need a nice 12-string! :cop:

• Members

Nah - I'm more into the jazzy/R&B side of the fingerstyle discipline with maybe a little classical flavoring thrown in. I can't do that overly-frilly stuff, nor would I want to learn. I just like the clarity NS guitars have with regards to playing melodies. With regards to rhythm I love the gong-like metallic sound of a steel low E string.

• Members
Steel definitely has more sustain and upper partials. Good to have some of each guitar type in your arsenal.

While you're at it, you also need a nice 12-string!
:cop:

...which is why I'm building a cedar/mahogany medium jumbo. I'm looking to make my own fingerstyle guitar that has more bass, sustain and fundamental than my rosewood/sitka OM. I'm just dreaming at this point though.

• Members

"I NEED a nylon string guitar..."

This from a guy who in a recent post described his 3 year old as 'wanty and needy' :facepalm:;)

I know we are doomed to turn into our own parents but Kwak's little chap seems to have got their earlier than most.

I can see it all now.

"yeh, Dad, I know I've got a tricycle and a bicycle, but I NEED a sports car. I know there's no leg room in the back, but that's not what the back seat is, well, you wouldn't understand... I NEED one!"

:poke::lol::lol::lol::)

• Members
Oh well, gee thanks Riff!
:facepalm:

That thought has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while. I've been able to fend it off. Crap, I think it's.....yep,....Okay, It's official.

I'm an addict!

Anybody want to buy a cheap strat????

how cheap?

I mean, you said that case was worth 200, and you paid 230 for the case and guitar, so ... 30 bucks is pretty freakin' cheap.

Like I said, I could use one, especially if it's only 30 buck! :D:thu:

• Members

I think everyone should have a gutbox in the quiver. Mine isn't anything fancy, it's an old (around 20 years) Mateo (pac-rim) classical that my aunt gave me a couple of years ago. The top looks like cedar, but I can't be sure.

I adore the easy playability and oh-so-sweet sound of that git. It doesn't languish in its case - sits on a stand right along with the Martin and Guild and gets a lot of playing time.

It's especially nice when I'm in the mood for red wine and soft, romantic music while sitting by the fire. :)

• Members
how cheap?

I mean, you said that case was worth 200, and you paid 230 for the case and guitar, so ... 30 bucks is pretty freakin' cheap.

Like I said, I could use one, especially if it's only 30 buck!
:D
:thu:

I'm really just kidding about "cheap". I'll have to put it on ebay and let it roll. The last one I sold, I got $310 out of it. I have to pay for my habit.

• Members
"I NEED a nylon string guitar..."

This from a guy who in a recent post described his 3 year old as 'wanty and needy'
:facepalm:;)

I know we are doomed to turn into our own parents but Kwak's little chap seems to have got their earlier than most.

I can see it all now.

"yeh, Dad, I know I've got a tricycle and a bicycle, but I NEED a sports car. I know there's no leg room in the back, but that's not what the back seat is, well, you wouldn't understand... I NEED one!"

:poke:
:lol:
:lol:
:lol::)

Thanks, man. You been talkin' to my wife 'r sumpin'? :cop:

;)

Archived