Which guitar have you felt the most.

andy thompson

• Members

I mean felt the vibrations in your chest, on the neck, most engaging.

Read somewhere that the difference in neck building between Yamaha LL16/26 was one piece neck, this enabled more feel transmitted to player.

Im guessing lighter guitars, lightly braced?.

Liked a Larrivee, but that may be the satin neck and they are meant to be strung with mediums right? A D03 is nearly 1k over hear, would like to try an OM03 strung with mediums.

Just wanna feel more....involved..?

• Members

I can't say that i would subscribe to the one piece neck theory.

I have a 48mm nut one piece mahogany neck. It doesn't move much!:)

I also have guitars with 3,5,7 and even 9 piece necks. The latter is on a 'grand parlour' size and it, quite correctly imho, doesn't use up energy in the neck but employs it in driving the sound board...

In my experience the biggest 'vibration' comes from the biggest bass, and on that basis the vote goes to my lightly braced multi bit necked jumbo. Chest rumbling :love:

• Members

I mean felt the vibrations in your chest, on the neck, most engaging.

Read somewhere that the difference in neck building between Yamaha LL16/26 was one piece neck, this enabled more feel transmitted to player.

Im guessing lighter guitars, lightly braced?.

Liked a Larrivee, but that may be the satin neck and they are meant to be strung with mediums right? A D03 is nearly 1k over hear, would like to try an OM03 strung with mediums.

Just wanna feel more....involved..?

I can tell you from experience that Larrivees ship with lights but can handle mediums. The OM models get a little more bass with mediums but in general they just get louder; the OM typically has a strong midrange. The B string is especially loud in comparison to other makers' guitars but really no louder than the other strings on the same guitar though.

• Members

The B string is especially loud in comparison to other makers' guitars but really no louder than the other strings on the same guitar though.

So, no more "feel" or enhancement of tone, just volume gain then. Theres a D03 thats been hung up for 18 months, guessing with cleartones on

• Members

I definitely feel the vibrations more on my GAD-25 strung with 12-53s than on my 12-er or my little gut box. I guess it's due to the very slender one-piece hog neck. :idk:

The gut box has (obviously) a beefier neck (I think it's hog), shorter scale and is strung with nylons; the 12-er has a Stratabond neck, strung with 12-53s. (Stratabond = high-tech plywood).

• Members

Yep, play the thing, I d gotten it in my head my S6 was unresponsive, that plus a stupid row.."Im never playing this in front of you again" kinda thing, anyway 2months down the line ..

But it isnt just that, well it is but I want one that sings to me, all they do is trade off definition against sharp/shrill and warm/muddy, I know skill can mask these a bit but I dont have any. Tried the local music shops during the week, but those with a decent selection are 50-80 miles away, so weekend=busy, still itll change soon.

• Members

Im guessing lighter guitars, lightly braced?

Bingo. My mahogany parlor (weighs 2.5lbs and has light ladder bracing and a thin top), and my Eastman mahogany OM (more lightly braced than scalloped Martins).

Interestingly, researchers have found that the feeling you get from one of these vibrating guitars is one of the factors that people weigh heavily when they call a guitar "good."

• Members

Hmmmnn.. never realised you could pick up vibrations on fretboard, but then thats not surprising as I dont know a lot. Like the theory of keeping energy for driving top.

Just remembered, it was an LA 28, not LL where I read that.

Interesting. I've heard it said that Martins seem to be harder to fret than many other guitars. That's not necessarily because they aren't set up properly. I think it is because much of the vibration of the guitar can be felt strongly in the neck and the strings at the fretting points. A big Martin dread almost feels alive everywhere you touch it. :eek: I would think any really good resonant dreanought is similar.

• Members

Right, resonators...clever, yep have heard of them, though never tried.

Thanks Joshua, so really...workmanship..? Not one piece necks or lightly braced or maple or whichever, just understanding and skill on behalf of the luthier, so my answer, yet again is go to the store and find out.

I do know this, its just a drive for a choice, so...ok find ones you like the resonance of, then concentrate on tone, this is going to be hard, patience, I must have patience, begonne ebay...unless I can try beforehand...yep...getting it a little now, thanks.

One piece necks

Lightly braced

But dont forget to try the others...

Archived