VOM 36 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MM...Nice walking bass line. Great mood feeling on this one!

Sangemon...That guitar has a very pretty ring to it. Nice job!

BHH...A moody country feel. Good work!

Fendouglas...This one had some nice sounding chords to it.

garthman...Nice playing. The guitar has a great sound.

QeeQ...So pretty. Nicely done. So mellow.

Fatback...Very pretty sound. Love the style.

Fretts99...You were workin it! Nice!!

Mmoe...You got it going on...Beautiful guitar sound.

Fussenkuh...Kid, you got game!!

• Members

Sorry I'm late to the party. I got kind of carried away listening to everybody's stuff.

Anyway, I recorded this a few minutes ago. It actually took me a couple of takes because I kept messing up.
It is an instrumental cover of a song by Orleans called "Dance With Me" I hope ya'll like it.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=recordingtrack1/Dance_With_Me.mp3

Now back to listening to everybody's work!:cool:

• Members

Late to the party, but I simply can't resist participating in the first VOM of the year!

This is an original composition I cobbled together a while ago. It was inspired by photos of my nephew when he was a 18-month-old toddler, playing in my grandmother's garden on a hot summer day.

I really surprised myself when laying down the 3 tracks - each one was done in only one take (a rarity, for sure!!) Well, maybe not so surprising, given the uber-simplicity of the music.

Piano and strings are panned far right and far left, so nothing wrong with your speakers or headphones.

Git is my hubby's 1966 D-28, piano and strings were done on my trusty Yammie KB.

Child in a Garden

• Members

Q: A classic, very beautifully and expressively done. This VOM is off to an awesome start.

Garth: Your voice sort of reminds me of Michael Martin's. I want you two to sing me a lullaby or something. Very soothing sound.

tbryson: Setting someone else's lyrics is tough. It can be really hard to make it sound natural, and I think you really pulled it off well.

Fendouglas: Your voice reminds me, in the most awesome way, of Burl Ives. It made the song feel so wintry to me. I really dug it.

BlackHat: Really cool song. I like songs that invoke distinct feelings: you really made me want to not meet that girl haha.

Sange: That's a Stones tune I often forget about as well. It's really different from the jangly, rock 'n' roll vibe my mind usually associates with them, and its nice to have a reminder that they were truly versatile writers. Great cover.

TAH: You, sir, can work a crowd. I greatly admire that. Excellent performance!

MM: I love the chord progression. It complemented the feel of the words well- it felt both melancholy and hopeful. Great writing, as usual.

Stack: Cool arrangement! I like how you break up the chords with just strumming the octaves.

Starrshine: I am a fan of Baba's as well. It truly is a fine song and it was a pleasure to hear it again.

fatback: Your fingerpicking is solid, with very steady time. Its always great to hear playing like that.

Gil: Superb sound, as always. I kind of like the darker feel you gave the song, it was unexpected and different than any version I'd heard before. Sweet.

Frets: Great groove! I love the spin you put on that. Made Nowhere Man sound like someone I might actually want to hang out with. :D

fastblueheeler: Some really great lines in there. I love the bit about becoming a troubadour just to sing your child to sleep.

kujozilla: Have you ever heard of Fred Eaglesmith? This sounds like something he would write, and I really like it.

benzem: First off, welcome to VOM! Your bathroom sounds lovely. Somehow this old REM stuff doesn't come up too often on my iTunes shuffle, so it was great to be reminded of how great those songs are. You did a great job of singing the choruses.

Heartstring: The great thing about VOM is we're all in the same league. :thu: I like McGraw's rendition of this too. I just latch onto the groove a little more. Great cover! Also I loved your hair and glasses. :D

hypcollector: I loved the chorus. Very well constructed. I'm a sucker for repetition, and it really works well here.

mrmoe: You are a great accompanist for yourself. Your playing supports your voice very well: your time is solid, your strumming is consistent, etc. Great job!

smebob: That Seagull sounds great with the high strings ringing out under your chords.

Tony: You may not have had the "fireworks" but I think it sounded great. I loved the progression.

Fussenkuh: Boy does that tuning ever sound great on your Masterbilt! I bet that's a fun one to play.

kwak: Thanks for not playing this great song at lightning speed. Way too many covers of Wish You Were Here on Youtube are played at breakneck speed and lack the steady feel of the original. A refreshingly accurate job.

acousticdepot: If your'e not a big pop radio fan, this is a great song to have your wife turn you on to. Its just a really well-written tune, and great for singing along. I like the easy-going-ness of your version. Feels like I'm right in a living room with you. :thu:

dak: Yay for John Prine and yay for playing when you're a little tipsy! I loved the feel- its clear all were having a good time when this was recorded.

Pine Apple: First of all, great hat. Your new uke is delightful and sounds greet with your singing voice which was pleasant and in tune. Great job!

extollo: Great movement in the melody. I loved this! You and Queg are tied for my favorite VOM entry this month.

sixgunner: I think that if you hadn't told me this was your favorite song to play, I still would have known. Sometimes I think you can just hear the enthusiasm in the playing, and that's a great sound.

Samilyn: I loved the piano melody- very peaceful. It was great to know the inspiration of the song; the background story combined with the melody made me feel like I was in the garden with your nephew. Very cool.

Great VOM, as usual everyone! I love listening to you guys.

• Members

Piano and strings are panned far right and far left, so nothing wrong with your speakers or headphones.

Great piece. I listened to it without reading your description, and I was thinking "whoa, she's getting a great piano-like tone from that guitar." :)

Seems almost like it could be played as a guitar fingerstyle piece.

• Members

OK, at the suggestion of another forumite, here's my submssion. Originally I intended this to just be a sound clip, for my Washburn WB400SWK, I posted a NGD for a few weeks ago, but it ended up turning into an off-the-cuff composition (warts and all). The recording was done using Audacity, in mono, and a no-name Realistic knock-off of an SM58 mic. I used a dropped C# tuning (hence the "Celtic Sounds" name, since dropped tunings are often used for celtic stuff). The recording was done early this afternoon.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10096361

Some good VOM tunes people! :thu:

• Members

Oy! I've decided that this VOM needs some honest-to-goodness n00b content. So I intentionally made a bunch of mistakes. I fell on my sword to encourage more n00bs to participate.

A short non-vocalized version of Mississippi John Hurt's Casey Jones

Played on my highly-modified Silver Creek T170

Sorry for the clipping. I turned down the mic level on the H4n, but it was still too sensitive....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTvkP7y0XXE

• Members

Been a while since I've had a chance to enjoy a VOM. Lots of great music from old friends and newcomers alike!

And to all the newcomers, a hearty welcome to VOM :wave:

Queequeg: As always, your playing is superb! I adore this lovely melody.

Garthman: The git has a wonderfully haunting sound and your velvety voice is perfect for this song.

tbryson: Wonderful job on this song! Rhythm git and your voice are so well balanced - great recording overall.

Fendouglas: The kind of folk music I always enjoy. Nicely done.

BlackHatHunter: One of your better ones, IMO. Your delivery conveys the mood of the lyrics. :thu:

Sangemon: Wish your nice voice had been more to the front, but I really enjoyed this nonetheless. :)

Terry Allan Hall: What a treat!! I'm grinnin' from ear to ear - thoroughly enjoyable, TAH!

Michael Martin: You never let me down, Michael. A beautiful song that conveys of a lot of emotion.

Stackabones: Enviable, as always! I always love your personal take on these old songs. You are an incredible performer, Stack.

Starrshine: Wow - that 12-er sure rings and your deep voice is a wonderful contrast. I like this a lot.

Fatback: Warm, laid back and mellow, just what I enjoy while sitting by the fire. :-)

G6120: You did it your way....and I liked it very much!

Frets99: Frets, I thoroughly enjoyed your version of one of my fave Beatles songs. :D

Fastblueheeler: I like this very much. You certainly have a talent for lyrics and your git and voice sound rich and warm in this recording.

Kujozilla: That is a cool song and there's nothing rusty about your string/git your voice. Well done. :thu:

Benzem: Wow - I'm impressed! Hope to hear lots more from you.

Heartstring: The wig is a hoot and I really liked your version of this song.

Hypocollector: I really like that dark git in contrast to your voice. Well done!

Mrmoe: A very nice live performance indeed! You sound great in spite of the echoing acoustics of the room.

Smebobberoo8675: I really like the way you just turn on the camera and jump right into the song. I enjoyed it a lot, including the dog's yip. :)

TSMusic: This does indeed have a Celtic flavor to it that I like very much. In my mind I could hear some high flute notes and perhaps some strings along with your playing.

FussenKuh: If this is your idea of unfinished, I can't wait to hear the "final." Well played!

Kwakatak: Neil, you just keep getting better and better. I hear a polish now that your earliest performances lacked and I'm very impressed. :thu:

Acousticdepot: I love the way you did this - bright git combined with your excellent voice = :D

Daklander: I always thoroughly enjoy your music and this fun-sounding tune is no exception.

Pine Apple Slim: Listening to you makes me want to go out and buy a uke.

Extollo: In a word....Exquisite! :love:

Recordingtrack1: I loved this, RT1. That git sounds wonderful, every note clear as a bell, with a beautiful resonance that nicely balances the highs.

Guitarist21: The scope of your skill and talent never fail to amaze me. I really liked this!

Sixgunner455: I was hooked at the intro and it kept getting better. Very cool song.

EllenGtrGrl: I really like your playing and this really does have a cool Celtic feel to it. Hope to hear lots more from you!

Gitnoob: Mighty nice!! I love the sound of that git and you did a great job with this tune. :)

• Members
Great piece. I listened to it without reading your description, and I was thinking "whoa, she's getting a great piano-like tone from that guitar."
:)

Seems almost like it could be played as a guitar fingerstyle piece.

Thanks, Gitnoob. I've often wondered about that too, playing it fingerstyle instead of using piano. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot - or perhaps someone more skilled than me will. :)

• Members

All right mah brudders and sisters. Have had a listen to the first wave. Many thanks to them what commented on mine. Here we go with phase one.

Queeq: Desperado. Ach, the Eagles. Funny--when I started playing with others, just these past few years, everybody roughly my age assumed I would know how to play Eagles songs because that's what everybody my age did back in the day. Problem was, I couldn't stand that band. Except, of course for Hotel California, one of the universe's perfect songs. HOWEVER yes this is a pretty tune. I'd rather hear your halting, searching instrumental version than a repeat of the slick, sappy-lyrics original, which has always to me felt so "produced" to be a hit rock ballad (bleh!). Your version seems SO MUCH more heartfelt. I appreciate the melody anew, thanks to you.

Garth: "If You Tolerate This" Flangey! Did you add that effect in? Wow I like this tune, this song. Never heard it or the band what made it first. Kinda muddy tho, as a mix. Hard to listen to words. A compelling performance nonetheless.

fendouglas: "Winter Song" Jeez Louise I want to hear this, what with that title and what with it being you and all. But it won't play!!! Will try later.

BHH: I must say. Please take this in the redemptive spirit in which it is given: Climb out of that hole, man. Pain is a monumentally powerful place to write songs from, but write about how it feels, not about her and her transgressions. The song is not an indictment, it's a confession. It's YOU. Retract the accusing finger of blame 'n' shame. You have a good sense of melody and song-shape but you're wallowing in the blackness. You can take this way beyond where you are.

Altho--gotta say--"headless man in a topless bar" is one damn great line! :)

Sangemon: I love this band and yet do not know this song! It is so very NOT Stones-y! Intriguing. Want to hear the original. As for your version--boost the vocals. They get lost a bit in the mix. Nice bare-bones recording. Very immediate.

TAH: Hmmm, also--like Garth--flangey recording. Is that on purpose? Seems out of place for a sunny backyard. Way too Bowie for you. But damn, well-played, man. As always. You indeed are a man who belongs on a stage.

Stack: "Blue Skies" Such immediacy! Fookin' great guitar man, esp. when you follow the vocal melody line with the guit. Or is it the other way around. Whatev, love that.

Starrshine: 12 string thing--gotta say: the guitar sounds shimmery-wondrous-chimey. And a cool original. But oh goodness the vocal is WAY too croaky, esp. at first. Too froggy. By a lot. Capo it up or something and get the song into the range of the higher parts. It's just damn freaky as you have it. But I do like the song--just needs to emerge from its weirdness.

fatback: "Mr. McKinley"--veddy interesting! Is this contemporary with Wm McKinley himself? Or newer? I love the intro, and I like the song a lot. Cool vibe, spooky. I think you have tempo issues (which I too have been known to have :facepalm:), and the vocal gets muddy here and there. Fix that--clarify everything--and you have a fine recording!

• Members
Late to the party, but I simply can't resist participating in the first VOM of the year!

This is an original composition I cobbled together a while ago. It was inspired by photos of my nephew when he was a 18-month-old toddler, playing in my grandmother's garden on a hot summer day.

I really surprised myself when laying down the 3 tracks - each one was done in only one take (a rarity, for sure!!) Well, maybe not so surprising, given the uber-simplicity of the music.

Git is my hubby's 1966 D-28, piano and strings were done on my trusty Yammie KB.

Child in a Garden

Beautiful! Really enjoyed it. That D-28 sounds amazing. The bass response is intense.

And thanks for your kind words neighbor! I really appreciate it. This was fun, I'll be back for sure.

:wave:

• Members

Another great VOM. I loved hearing everyones stuff. I hope the new year brings everyone good fortunes and I'll see you all next month. Hopefully I 'll find sometime to participate.

Queequeg - Nice. It has a warm old timey feel to it. Good job.

Garthman - Hmmm a dark song of sorts. Nice vocals and playing.

Tbryson - OK another song from the darker side. Nicely done.

Fendouglas - Glad your up and feeling better. Nice played and sung. A nice tune.

Blackhathunter - Cool tune. A little dark but good.

Sangemon - Nicely done. Not a Stones song I've ever heard, but I like it.

Terry Allen Hall - Too cute....corney but awfully cute!

Michael Martin - Very visual lyrically, and the picking is just beautiful. I realy like it.

Stackabones - As usual very catchy. Nice arrangement. (especially stairway!)

Starshine - Nicely done. I love that 12 string sound.

Fatback - Well sung and some cool picking.

G6120 - Nice rendition. Well done. Nice strong vocals.

Frets99 - Love the arrangement. Good job.

fastblueheerer - Very artist lyrics. Well done Bill.

kujozilla - Nicely done. I love the song. Nice original.

Benzem - Welcome to the VOM. Nice job. Good playing and strong vocals.

Heartstring - An nice job. I love that song, almost aqs much as yourt hair!

hypcollector - Nice song. Well done.

mrmoe - very nice rendition. I love it.

smebobberoo8675 - Great job. Nice vocals and playing.

TSMusic - Very cool, I loved some of those chord progressions.

FessenKuh - Wow, nice tune. Well played...That guitar is just singing!

kwakatak - Nice cover of a great song. Well done.

acousticdepot - Nice song. Good vocals and a nice sounding guitar.

daklander - a little hard to hear, but what I could make out I liked.

pineappleslim - Cool rendition. Uke sounds great. really nice vocals.

extollo - Very pretty. Lovely playing and tune.

recordingtrack1 - Cool! I loved it. That was very well done.

guitarsit21 - Ok that was some really cool playing. Loved it, so so charming.

sixgunner455 - Nice job, A great song done well.

samilyn - Lovely describes it best! So so well done. The strings are great and the whole composition is just outstanding. A standing ovation from the virtual audience!

Ellengtrgrl - Nicely done, some fine playing there.

gitnoob. I thought you did well. And the Silvercreek sounded great.

phoniclab - a nice cover. you did it very well!

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members
;)
All right mah brudders and sisters. Have had a listen to the first wave. Many thanks to them what commented on mine. Here we go with phase one.

Queeq:
Desperado. Ach, the Eagles. Funny--when I started playing with others, just these past few years, everybody roughly my age assumed I would know how to play Eagles songs because that's what everybody my age did back in the day. Problem was, I couldn't stand that band. Except, of course for Hotel California, one of the universe's perfect songs. HOWEVER yes this is a pretty tune. I'd rather hear your halting, searching instrumental version than a repeat of the slick, sappy-lyrics original, which has always to me felt so "produced" to be a hit rock ballad (bleh!). Your version seems SO MUCH more heartfelt. I appreciate the melody anew, thanks to you.

Garth:
"If You Tolerate This" Flangey! Did you add that effect in? Wow I like this tune, this song. Never heard it or the band what made it first. Kinda muddy tho, as a mix. Hard to listen to words. A compelling performance nonetheless.

fendouglas:
"Winter Song" Jeez Louise I want to hear this, what with that title and what with it being you and all. But it won't play!!! Will try later.

BHH:
I must say. Please take this in the redemptive spirit in which it is given: Climb out of that hole, man. Pain is a monumentally powerful place to write songs from, but write about how it
feels,
not about her and her transgressions. The song is not an indictment, it's a confession. It's
YOU.
Retract the accusing finger of blame 'n' shame. You have a good sense of melody and song-shape but you're wallowing in the blackness. You can take this way beyond where you are.

Altho--gotta say--"headless man in a topless bar" is one damn great line!
:)

Sangemon:
I love this band and yet do not know this song! It is so very NOT Stones-y! Intriguing. Want to hear the original. As for your version--boost the vocals. They get lost a bit in the mix. Nice bare-bones recording. Very immediate.

TAH:
Hmmm, also--like Garth--flangey recording. Is that on purpose? Seems out of place for a sunny backyard. Way too Bowie for you. But damn, well-played, man. As always. You indeed are a man who belongs on a stage.

Stack:
"Blue Skies" Such immediacy! Fookin' great guitar man, esp. when you follow the vocal melody line with the guit. Or is it the other way around. Whatev, love that.

Starrshine:
12 string thing--gotta say: the guitar sounds shimmery-wondrous-chimey. And a cool original. But oh goodness the vocal is WAY too croaky, esp. at first. Too froggy. By a lot. Capo it up or something and get the song into the range of the higher parts. It's just damn freaky as you have it. But I do like the song--just needs to emerge from its weirdness.

fatback:
"Mr. McKinley"--veddy interesting! Is this contemporary with Wm McKinley himself? Or newer? I love the intro, and I like the song a lot. Cool vibe, spooky. I think you have tempo issues (which I too have been known to have
:facepalm:
), and the vocal gets muddy here and there. Fix that--clarify everything--and you have a fine recording!

I imagine its not quite contemporary with William himself but I will do a little investigating and get back to you. Yep timing issues - I think halfway through I had to consciously slow it down a little. As for the recording hopefully next Christmas I'll get the zoom. Anyway thanks for your kind comments

Phil

Archived