VOM 36 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

The most lyrically opaque song for me was "Radio Free Europe". Funny--back then I was really needing to figure out the words too. Now, I think of those early R.E.M. songs more poetically. The vocal doesn't have to make any sense, or even be intelligible! And honestly, I found it a bit jarring when years later, after Berry left, Stipe got all clear and forthright and easy to understand. . . . .

I agree completely - their early albums are outstanding. I think I mostly abandoned them after "Green".

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree completely - their early albums are outstanding. I think I mostly abandoned them after "Green".

I think of them almost as two different bands--1980-1989, and then 1989-1996. "Green" was the transition from "college radio" band to global phenoms. I found a lot to like and love after "Green", through "New Adventures in Hi-Fi", which is one of my fave records ever. But "New Adventures" was 1996. Berry left right after, and they lost something essential. They've done lots of work since '96, but not much that gets under my skin.

• Members

I think of them almost as two different bands--1980-1989, and then 1989-1996. "Green" was the transition from "college radio" band to global phenoms.

Here you go, a pressie for you:

[YOUTUBE]utF4Rs1hZX8[/YOUTUBE]

The whole concert (Passaic 1984) is up.

• Members
All right mah brudders and sisters. Have had a listen to the first wave. Many thanks to them what commented on mine. Here we go with phase one.

Queeq:
Desperado. Ach, the Eagles. Funny--when I started playing with others, just these past few years, everybody roughly my age assumed I would know how to play Eagles songs because that's what everybody my age did back in the day. Problem was, I couldn't stand that band. Except, of course for Hotel California, one of the universe's perfect songs. HOWEVER yes this is a pretty tune. I'd rather hear your halting, searching instrumental version than a repeat of the slick, sappy-lyrics original, which has always to me felt so "produced" to be a hit rock ballad (bleh!). Your version seems SO MUCH more heartfelt. I appreciate the melody anew, thanks to you.

Garth:
"If You Tolerate This" Flangey! Did you add that effect in? Wow I like this tune, this song. Never heard it or the band what made it first. Kinda muddy tho, as a mix. Hard to listen to words. A compelling performance nonetheless.

fendouglas:
"Winter Song" Jeez Louise I want to hear this, what with that title and what with it being you and all. But it won't play!!! Will try later.

BHH:
I must say. Please take this in the redemptive spirit in which it is given: Climb out of that hole, man. Pain is a monumentally powerful place to write songs from, but write about how it
feels,
not about her and her transgressions. The song is not an indictment, it's a confession. It's
YOU.
Retract the accusing finger of blame 'n' shame. You have a good sense of melody and song-shape but you're wallowing in the blackness. You can take this way beyond where you are.

Altho--gotta say--"headless man in a topless bar" is one damn great line!
:)

Sangemon:
I love this band and yet do not know this song! It is so very NOT Stones-y! Intriguing. Want to hear the original. As for your version--boost the vocals. They get lost a bit in the mix. Nice bare-bones recording. Very immediate.

TAH:
Hmmm, also--like Garth--flangey recording. Is that on purpose? Seems out of place for a sunny backyard. Way too Bowie for you. But damn, well-played, man. As always. You indeed are a man who belongs on a stage.

Stack:
"Blue Skies" Such immediacy! Fookin' great guitar man, esp. when you follow the vocal melody line with the guit. Or is it the other way around. Whatev, love that.

Starrshine:
12 string thing--gotta say: the guitar sounds shimmery-wondrous-chimey. And a cool original. But oh goodness the vocal is WAY too croaky, esp. at first. Too froggy. By a lot. Capo it up or something and get the song into the range of the higher parts. It's just damn freaky as you have it. But I do like the song--just needs to emerge from its weirdness.

fatback:
"Mr. McKinley"--veddy interesting! Is this contemporary with Wm McKinley himself? Or newer? I love the intro, and I like the song a lot. Cool vibe, spooky. I think you have tempo issues (which I too have been known to have
:facepalm:
), and the vocal gets muddy here and there. Fix that--clarify everything--and you have a fine recording!

More info - Known as White house blues - about 1923 so about 20 years after the event.

Phil

• Members
The most lyrically opaque song for me was "Radio Free Europe". Funny--back then I was really needing to figure out the words too. Now, I think of those early R.E.M. songs more poetically. The vocal doesn't have to make any sense, or even be intelligible! And honestly, I found it a bit jarring when years later, after Berry left, Stipe got all clear and forthright and easy to understand.

BTW there is a wonderful live version of "So. Central Rain" on
R.E.M. in the Attic
, that CD compilation that IRS Records put out several years ago. It's a much slower version than the one on
Reckoning
, with only Stipe's vocal and Buck's guitar. It's actually a medley that begins with "Time After Time" and even samples Peter Gabriel's "Red Rain". Hauntingly beautiful! It's the version I based my own cover upon.

If you look for the track, it's referred to as "Time After Time Etc." (Live September 14, 1987).

I agree, it did add alot of mystique, and style to his vocals.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will def. check that out.

And I'd like to hear your version if you have it handy.

:thu:

• Members

Thanks to everyone for a really enjoyable open mic! I appreciate the kind words and those that took time to listen. I listened to all of your submissions, was really impressed and highly entertained. Loved hearing some new(to me) music/artists!

Quick question. I will sign up for the VOM archive regardless, but have any of you had copywrite/policy problems from uploading covers on soundclick? I just use mine for sticky jams and such, but want to post some originals on there so I don't want to mess up my account.

Thanks!

:wave:

• Members

I agree, it did add alot of mystique, and style to his vocals.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will def. check that out.

And I'd like to hear your version if you have it handy.

:thu:

Here 'tis. I recorded it in order to send it to someone as an actual apology. Funny thing about it--she wasn't familiar with the song, and assumed it was one I had written. I thought ANYBODY would know about this song. Anyway, a huge (if unintentional) compliment on her part to think I wrote it! :cool:

http://www.box.net/shared/ptm25jb49d

PS "Eastern" changed to "Central" in lyrics in this version because of our respective time zones

• Members
Here 'tis. I recorded it in order to send it to someone as an actual apology. Funny thing about it--she wasn't familiar with the song, and assumed it was one I had written. I thought ANYBODY would know about this song. Anyway, a huge (if unintentional) compliment on her part to think I wrote it!
:cool:

http://www.box.net/shared/ptm25jb49d

PS "Eastern" changed to "Central" in lyrics in this version because of our respective time zones

Great job on that. You used electric w/slight distortion and the slower tempo really brought out the mood.

And to the GF thing, lol:thu:, I sent my cover to an old GF just for laughs and(tho I gave REM credit) wondered if she may take it as an apology:) Not that I have anything to apologize for (well, I am sure there is something).

Reminded me of a comedian I saw that actually got away with passing off Elton John's "Your Song" as his own written for her!:facepalm:

• Members
Thanks to everyone for a really enjoyable open mic! I appreciate the kind words and those that took time to listen. I listened to all of your submissions, was really impressed and highly entertained. Loved hearing some new(to me) music/artists!

Quick question. I will sign up for the VOM archive regardless, but have any of you had copywrite/policy problems from uploading covers on soundclick? I just use mine for sticky jams and such, but want to post some originals on there so I don't want to mess up my account.

Thanks!

:wave:

The VOM Archive site features music hosting, so just upload your tunes there and use the provided link to post to VOM each month. It also features absentee posting, so if you're busy on a VOM weekend, you can post your tune a few days in advance of the upcoming VOM.

• Members

I sent my cover to an old GF just for laughs and (tho I gave REM credit) wondered if she may take it as an apology:) Not that I have anything to apologize for (well, I am sure there is something).

Oh, there's ALWAYS something... :)

And a corollary to that, in the form of a rhetorical question:

If a man states an opinion when he's alone deep in a forest (and there's no woman there to hear him), is he still wrong?

(and BTW thanks for the feedback...find that '87 R.E.M. audio track--you'll love it.)

• Members

Ahh, you tug at my heart strings TAH......thanks for keeping the music alive....I got to play 3 of his songs a few months ago and the crowd responded pretty well...Love Goodman tumes....One of these days, I'll have to take the time to record again and contribute to the forum.

Thanks....for the incentive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Man this month sure up and got away from me. Just want to offer my thanks to all who came, listened and commented. I got to listen to all the other participants and like always, t'was a job well done.

Tony (thinking the next one will be here all too quick)

Archived