Taylor 110ce vs. Taylor 210ce

Joeballz

• Members

Nope.

Don't need nor want electrics in my acoustics.

Still don't think that Taylors suit me - I'm more a Martin man.

Still would rather have Mr.Binh build me exactly what I want rather than buying off the peg.

And even if I would have to buy off the peg, I would find something better than a laminate Taylor. Think of a good Yamaha, Crafter, Blueridge, younameit.

Since most authorities on wood say you get 80-90% of your tone from the top, I wouldn't buy one of these other guitars just so I can say I have an all-wood guitar. The only things that are important to me are how the guitar sounds and feels. I could care less about resale value and depreciation; after all, I write songs, I'm not a guitar collector. In my experience, collectors don't do a whole lot of playing and writing because they are too busy telling everyone why their guitars are superior. I will never understand that whole scene...but to each his own.

PS - for me, the $1000 all-wood Takamines, Crafter and Yamahas didn't compare to the Taylor.

PSS - This link is a cool comparison of Taylor's 100, 200, and 300 series. For me, the sameness between the wood and laminate reminds me that sometimes we spend money because of what we are told me should like rather than what actually makes sense to our ears and wallets.

• Members

Thanks Hudman, that's very helpful; I didn't realize it was different electronics. I just wish that guitar didn't feel so damn silky smooth to my hands (I am significantly faster on this guitar).

I've gone to Guitar Center, Sam Ash, 2 local guitar shops (and even a Best Buy
:facepalm:
) and I still couldn't pull the trigger on the 210 ce so I guess it's a sign that I should keep hounding Craigslist until I find "the one."

Can you suggest any other good places to find used guitars (keeping in mind I'm Ebay illiterate).
:confused:

It would pay to learn a bit about Ebay and open an account. You have far more options on Ebay. I bought and sold many guitars on Ebay over the years.

• Members

FYI, most Taks in the $1000 range usually have laminated sides. An "S" in the model means it has a solid top. Some of the higher end Taks have solis backs too, otherwise they'd be laminated. It's best to check Takamine's website; if it doesn't say "solid" in the description then the feature on question is laminated.

• Members

It would pay to learn a bit about Ebay and open an account. You have far more options on Ebay. I bought and sold many guitars on Ebay over the years.

I actually have an account. I'm just a little afraid of getting ripped off. I prefer Craigs because no money changes hands until you have the product in your hands. I guess I'm a little old school in that way.

• Members

I actually have an account. I'm just a little afraid of getting ripped off. I prefer Craigs because no money changes hands until you have the product in your hands. I guess I'm a little old school in that way.

I don't feel comfortable using Craigslist - too many horror stories.

I have protection with Ebay and Paypal.

• Members

I know this is a year old but I'd like to ressurect this thread for a minute.

Now that Taylor has this new Expression technology, do you still think it's better to go

7+ years used and get an all-wood guitar or buy brand new with the newer electronics?

Also, I've played the all-wood Yamahas, Seagulls, and Takamines in this $1000 price range and they don't compare to the Taylor 210 ce (to my ears and hands). In fact, as far as playability, the $1000 Taylor is just as fast/smooth as the $2000-$3000 Martins or Gibsons I played.

Has anything changed for 2011 that would change your opinion?

The Expression System is vastly over-rated...if you ONLY play through top-of-the-line sound systems w/ a 1st-rate sound person, the Expression System will make you sound fairly good...through the sound systems that 99.9% of us use, the Expression System will make you sound like you have the exact same system as any other A/E...which is to say, fairly good.

BTW, the 110 and 210 use the Fishman p/u...an excellent choice.

Better idea: Buy yourself the best acoustic you can afford and have the best p/u you can find installed. :idea:

• Members

I bought my Jeep, 2 motorcycles, my fishtank and my Epi Les Paul on Craigslist. I sold one motorcycle and a garage full of tools on there too.

Here's my opinion:

I LOVE CL - so many people turn to CL when they need money fast b/c it's free and allows for a local sale. When I bought my first motorcycle, the seller's ad said "All offers will be considered." I offered him $5000 for a brand new $9000 bike and he accepted it. I met him at my bank to finalize the deal.

The reason people fear Craigslist is because the horror stories are all you ever hear about. For every CL-related horror story there's probably a million successful sales. All you have to do is meet the person in a public place.

You shouldn't avoid CL because of the horror stories. Most of the time when something bad happens the victim didn't use common sense.

• Members

I just wonder who's going to protect you from eBay and PayPal (which is owned by eBay). From what I've seen, they always side with the seller in any dispute.

Archived