VOM 38 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 13, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MM....The guitar sounded good. The vocal phrasing is your signature. Nice!!

BBH...Good song and I liked the vid.

Mrmoe...Nice recording, Great vocal and playing.

Hypco...Thats a really good song...the reverb appeared to much but the vocals were great...overall very nice!

garthman...Ya did Dylan good!

Stack...great recording and your vocal fit perfect!

• Members
recordingtrack1
: quite the production for a quicky. did the wife cook you a fancy dinner for your obvious commitment & devotion? :poke:

We ate take out KFC, actually.:) As far as the production part, thanks. I didn't see it as much of a production. I laid down a guitar and vocal track, I came back and laid down another guitar track, then I sang over the vocals on another track and laid down the simplest bass line you could imagine. The whole thing took about 3 - 3 1/2 hours, more or less. As I'm sure you know, it is a ridiculously simple song to play.

My wife tolerates my spending gobs of money on guitars. She's a saint.:thu:

• Members
BHH: Cool, languid vibe and a sweet song. Love the pics--man you get around, and you hang out with some serious people! Also I covet your guit collection. 'Specially that blingy tele.

MrMoe: So that's you double-tracking? Nice separation of guitars. Guitar tone is potent. Strong playing as usual for you--everything fits, no muffs. Why can't I do that?

Hyp: I really appreciate this distinctive take on such a familiar tune. You made it your own. Very echo-ey--I would say you could dial that back a bit, because it becomes too obvious as an "effect". IMHO of course.

tbry: Ah, shades of the No-Tell Motel! Yes I thought of that Alda movie right off. I love the idea of a song evolving out of multiple influences. Great story, very imageable, poignant. Nice FS playing.

Fen: Well now with John Prine and three-quarter time you cannot go wrong. Did not know of this tune. Well-played, all around, like you always do. Curious: which two other Prine songs dod you record, and which are the 5 or 6 you routinely play? (I only do one--Angel From Montgomery). Obviously I need to get deeper into Prine.

Maggie: Well must confess I am a sucker for a male-female duet. Although they run the risk of sappiness--you guys however did not get sappy at all. Very sweet interplay between the vocal parts, esp. where they alternate about halfway through. But hey who is this Chris Baker dude? {censored}ing guitar god. He makes me feel so...inadequate, the bastardo. Show-off. ;) Love the "immediacy" of the recording. Felt like I was listening in your living room.

PA Slim: Now that's a new approach to a great old song. Very spare, stripped-down. Feels like the place where the original must have come from--nice.

• Members

Every Man's Death Diminishes Me

In case you've missed any of my pissing and moaning, I've been having some difficulties with my fretting hand of late. Last week I started taking a heavy-duty NSAID that's actually been giving me some good days. The other night was one of them, so I decided to take a crack at an old original I haven't played in a while and partake in my first VOM. This is a singularly low-fi, single take, played on a 1973 FG-200 with ancient strings and recorded with a crappy gooseneck desk mic. I also messed up the timing in a few spots, but I'm pretty pleased with it overall.

I came up with this tune in 1979, but I never had a decent name for it. For the last 10 years or so, I've been reluctantly calling it "Monsters March," but I've always hated that. I finally decided to call it "Every Man's Death Diminishes Me" (some chemicals and black humor may have been involved). It's not original, but I like it, and I'm going to keep it.

Thanks for listening.

http://www.box.net/shared/10ivixzpur

• Members

Do you guys mind a late entry? I haven't posted in AG in a long time but I occasionally lurk. I always mean to submit something for these VOMs but I always seem to forget. So in keeping with the one shot/one take thing, I made this a little while ago. It's my take on the Talking Heads' "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=133uB1Om7Wo

• Members

Hi guys - Just listened to a couple more

leonard scaper - loved this song man. beautifully done. what a voice!
mike003 - welcome to vom. great effort. love the tune
dmn23 - love this tune, not enough talking heads covers out there

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Michael Martin: Great job, as usual. Seems like I've heard this one before? :confused:

BlackHatHunter: Nice job.

mrmoe: Very well done.

hypcollector: Nice job.

tbryson: Nice job. Didn't realize it was an original at first. Very well written.

garthman: Nice job.

Fendouglas: Nice job.

Maggie_Garza: Very well done but stay away from that Chris Baker character. Nice girl like you could get a reputation. ;)

Pine Apple Slim: Cool. :cool: Springsteen on ukulele. :thu:

Stackabones: Great job as usual.

recordingtrack1: Your wife has great taste. I love that song. Wish I could do it that well. :thu:

kujozilla: Not bad. Nowhere near as "horrible" as you think.

g6120: Great job on a favorite of mine. That turned out very well.

Terry Allan Hall: Interesting. Sounds like something out of the 70's.

vHoddy: Very impressive.

bludog79: Quite nice. Love melodic songs like that.

FussenKuh: I wasn't familiar with the song so I listened to it on YouTube. You did good. :thu:

TSMusic: Nice job.

LeonardScaper: That was really something. You're right, it does have a very old feel.

bluzboy: Quite well done. Actually, "Monsters' March" isn't a bad title. Glad to hear you're able to play occasionally. Don't overdo it though.

dmn23: Very nicely done.

Taylor Davis: Very interesting. Not sure what to make of it but nice job.

• Members

BHH:

Fen:
Well now with John Prine and three-quarter time you cannot go wrong. Did not know of this tune. Well-played, all around, like you always do. Curious: which two other Prine songs dod you record, and which are the 5 or 6 you routinely play? (I only do one--Angel From Montgomery). Obviously I need to get deeper into Prine.

Michael: You always manage to boost my ego on a Monday morning, when I'm sitting at my desk at just about my lowest ebb!

The other 2 songs I recorded were: "Hello in there" & "Far from Me". Others in my songlist are "Sam Stone"; "Paradise" and "Please don't bury me"

Thanks!

• Members
Sitting here in the Hosp watching my Dad fading fast.

Sorry to hear that, Slim. I did that very same vigil some years ago and I thought back to those moments last night when I read your comment.

Listened to everything........I'm proud to be a part of this little party.:wave:

That 'Porch Swing' thing instrumental by Extollo is stuck in my head.:cool:

• Members

SUPER LATE POST, but I wanted to share this cover...

It is a mix of different songs (in Spanish and Quechua) - show my Peruvian Roots:

Ojos Azules (blue Eyes)

Adios Pueblo de Ayacucho (Good Bye Town of Ayacucho) - First sung in Quechua - the indigenous tongue of my country

Valicha - Sung first in quechua...

Hope you like it

Omar :thu:

• Members

Kujozilla: Nice tone and rhythm on the guitar (arch top?)Vocals are good too. If I heard you do this live I would be even more entertained. Not horrible at all.

It is actually the O.B.C. my Old Black Cadillac as I call it. Archie is currently being clamped and glued again. I have to do that about once every 6 months because he is unfinished he likes to separate.

Also, sending some mojo down to you and your dad.

• Members

Garthman: Somehow I skipped past you in my review of early birds! Sorry. Cool tune--it feels like music going down a road, and your signature Garth-vibe. It's unmistakable--I guess some combination of the recording devices and the space you're in, coupled with your rumbly rhythm. Love it. Had never heard that tune before.

Will comment on others if poss! Thanks to those who commented on mine.

• Members
Michael Martin:
Great job, as usual. Seems like I've heard this one before?
:confused:

No, you can't have heard it before unless you were at The Boheme bistro on certain Sunday nights in Ames Iowa sometime between July 2006 and December 2007--I just recorded it for the first time a week ago. But thank you!

Thanks also to Pine Apple Slim, tbry, extollo, BHH, bludog, fatback for your kind words.

Hope to listen in on the rest of the songs today...

• Members
I Just Want To Make Love To You

(Willie Dixon)

I used my Zeff (Epi Zephyr Regent) in drop-D through a Fender Super Champ XD. All fingers. My arrangement.

Man that's some spooky-cool guitar, especially the break. I'll take this over Foghat's version any day! :cool: I do admire the sound of your Zephyr, as only you could make it sound. Fingers method is just awesome. Would love to see you play live sometime.

Archived