Parlor Fans... check this out

masterbuilt

• Members

It will be interesting to see at what price this sells. It looks nice. I'm curious about "to give the restoration some legs the inside of the sides were lined with a thin veneer of mahogany to reinforce the repairs and to help prevent future problems". This seems unusual. I've read about cleating cracks, but lining the sides completely with an interior veneer is not something I've ever seen before.

• Members
It will be interesting to see at what price this sells. It looks nice. I'm curious about "to give the restoration some legs the inside of the sides were lined with a thin veneer of mahogany to reinforce the repairs and to help prevent future problems".
This seems unusual
. I've read about cleating cracks, but lining the sides completely with an interior veneer is not something I've ever seen before.

maybe, but it would def add integrity, structurally.
sides dont really help the sound, but i guess if not lam'd properly, could detract from the resonance.

anyhoo..... :D

• Members

I think it's probably mahogany rather than koa, and I think people pay waaaay to much for the blingy parlors. That one is probably ladder braced, and the small-body Martins of that period sound much better.

Case in point for the high-price of bling here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230613729126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_808wt_1139

• Members

It will be interesting to see at what price this sells. It looks nice. I'm curious about "to give the restoration some legs the inside of the sides were lined with a thin veneer of mahogany to reinforce the repairs and to help prevent future problems". This seems unusual. I've read about cleating cracks, but lining the sides completely with an interior veneer is not something I've ever seen before.

I have seen veneers (patches feathered into the back of a top) laid in under cave ins, and I have seen veneers put in instruments that were really dried out with loads of cracks and done it myself. I have had old instruments come in that had pieces of interior back strip spruce under cracks and it just led to more cracks. Sometimes if the thing was fixed improperly and you want to salvage it regardless of tone and just go for cosmetics, yeah its done. In 30 years the mahogany will open up nicely. Too bad I will be dead or too old to care. The humidity here was 2% yesterday. Bad for guitars, but good for repair business. I run my old funky belt humidifier from years ago. It throws arcs from the motor to the frame but keeps a nice 45% RH in the shop/house. I hate Arizona.

Archived