Friend needs help with her Rogue acoustic guitar

kwakatak

• Members

That's the thing that's worrying me. How DO you remove a UST without ruining the element or the wire?

The element should just pop out of the saddle slot. The wire could be harder if they soldered it in. Worst case, you'd have to cut the wire and resolder it.

• Members

Couple of "top of the head" thoughts: The cable to the ST element probably plugs into the preamp and you'll have to remove the plug from the end to get the element out. (I can't verify this; the only installation instructions I can find are for endpin preamps.) If the guitar is fairly new you should be able to remove the element without damaging it. I've heard that they turn brittle with age. One advantage to Shadow UST's like mine: they're about as fragile as a nail. Worst case, a new element, cheap on eBay; best case, you clip the plug off the end of the cable and solder on a new plug after the bridge is fixed. Super best case, the cable is soldered to the preamp and all you have to do is resolder it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Couple of "top of the head" thoughts: The cable to the ST element probably plugs into the preamp and you'll have to remove the plug from the end to get the element out. (I can't verify this; the only installation instructions I can find are for endpin preamps.) If the guitar is fairly new you should be able to remove the element without damaging it. I've heard that they turn brittle with age. One advantage to Shadow UST's like mine: they're about as fragile as a nail. Worst case, a new element, cheap on eBay; best case, you clip the plug off the end of the cable and solder on a new plug after the bridge is fixed. Super best case, the cable is soldered to the preamp and all you have to do is resolder it.

Yup, I pulled the guitar out today and took a good look inside. There's a lead from the element directly to the preamp and it looks to be soldered to a plug-type fitting. I need to break the solder in order to free the element completely from the plug in order to remove the bridge.

BTW, I'm marveling at the shoddiness of this guitar. I just noted a couple more red flags with regards to this guitar's structural integrity. The more I look at it the more I think she just needs a new guitar. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings though.

• Members

As a point of reference, MF sells them for $129 in the A/E model. You can go from there as to how much time and money it's worth to her. Then again, there's the sentimental factor........

If you can't help her out, Craigslist can be your friend. A Washburn D10SCE would be ideal for her....a workhorse and they sound good both plugged and unplugged.

Good luck!

• Members

Yup, that's where she bought it and she feels like she made an ill-informed decision and just fell for the black finish. As such, she's resigned herself to accept it as a loss and uses her old Ovation. I may just indeed do some research for her based on her budget and gigging needs and make a suggestion. It may or may not be a Washburn but at least there's a dealer nearby where she could try some instead of ordering sight-unseen again.

• Members

Yup, that's where she bought it and she feels like she made an ill-informed decision and just fell for the black finish. As such, she's resigned herself to accept it as a loss and uses her old Ovation. I may just indeed do some research for her based on her budget and gigging needs and make a suggestion. It may or may not be a Washburn but at least there's a dealer nearby where she could try some instead of ordering sight-unseen again.

I mentioned Washburn because I'm partial to them for the price point they service. There's Alvarez (a used RD20S can be had cheap) and there's always Yamaha too! He you can help her out!

Archived