Folk it!

baldbloke

• Members

Come on from around the world. Show us what we're missing. I want to hear some great folk music from all over the world.

Meantime, another British artist. And if it ain't your cup of tea, post something to represent your part of the world.... Please.

[video=youtube;ET_BqNvl7Oc]

• Members

That sure is a well informed compilation of British folk artists you posted there, OGP. Now, how would someone from your side of the ocean get to know these folks? Are they well known over there or what?

Well..I had heard of Bert Jansch, Nick Drake and John Martyn through friends and my own research from various magazine articles. Nic Jones and Paul Brady are two players I have just recently discovered in the last few years. Nic Jones's Penguin Eggs album is a classic and a must have in anyone's collection of fine acoustic music. As well as french, acadian and english traditional music Canada has a strong celtic scene here.

Here is a popular Canadian group with a celtic flavour.

[video=youtube;rqg0l43dbv4]

Here is the legendary Don Messer and his Islanders.

[video=youtube;wM7pdSQwqgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM7pdSQwqgc&feature=related

• Members

I grew out of the folk scene in London in the mid-'70s so I missed its heyday by a few years. I was always a bit late coming to a party. My current ambivalence toward folk-music then was the growing tribalism between the "traditional" and "contemporary" camps. Singer-songwriters (which I was / am) had got a bad name for whatever reason - self-indulgence, I think - real or perceived. There was a premium on being as "authentic" as you could. These days in Scotland I believe you can get government grants to endlessly regurgitate the folk tradition. It smacks of being a tad inward-looking to me, but us Scots are prone sentimentalizing our country, ourselves, and our past. I'm a fan of folk music - don't get me wrong - I've arranged endless fiddle tunes for guitar.

• Members

I grew out of the folk scene in London in the mid-'70s so I missed its heyday by a few years. I was always a bit late coming to a party. My current ambivalence toward folk-music then was the growing tribalism between the "traditional" and "contemporary" camps. Singer-songwriters (which I was / am) had got a bad name for whatever reason - self-indulgence, I think - real or perceived. There was a premium on being as "authentic" as you could. These days in Scotland I believe you can get government grants to endlessly regurgitate the folk tradition. It smacks of being a tad inward-looking to me, but us
Scots are prone sentimentalizing our country
ourselves, and our past
. I'm a fan of folk music - don't get me wrong - I've arranged endless fiddle tunes for guitar.

True. We can often be guilty of stereotyping ourselves. But then, I've been away from Scotland for 20+ years so maybe my viewpoint is a little skewed. I have recently gotten very interested in Celtic style music though. My interest in Celtic music might just be an age related thing instead of a "roots" thing.

And, Dave, I had a quick neb at your web site. Nice playing. Saved to favourites.

Archived