Guitars of the USSR

FretFiend.

• Members

Scroll on down and there's more. Every one of these guitars has been assaulted with a Sharpie. Must have been a fad among the musically inclined communists. Maybe the writing says something like "this machine kills capitalists."
:D

Yeah, I caught the Sharpie thing. Guess there's no shortage of those over there. IMO, even a POS git shouldn't be defaced like that.

I gotta hand it to peeps who somehow managed to keep music alive under an oppressive regime. Can you imagine just trying to get strings (much less a decent git) if you're not one of the "fortunate" ones being groomed by the state as an artist (meaning "poster child on display to the rest of the world")

• Members

Yeah, I caught the Sharpie thing. Guess there's no shortage of those over there. IMO, even a POS git shouldn't be defaced like that.

I gotta hand it to peeps who somehow managed to keep music alive under an oppressive regime.
Can you imagine just trying to get strings (much less a decent git) if you're not one of the "fortunate" ones being groomed by the state as an artist (meaning "poster child on display to the rest of the world")

I was thinking along the same lines. Some of the stuff in those pictures - not just the guitars, but some of the toys and games too - didn't actually look that bad. But you have to wonder how many of those items were available to the average citizen. I'd imagine the majority of the "nice" stuff was reserved for the select few that were politically connected. Meanwhile, everyone else was probably stuck with the dregs - for example, guitars that needed a couple of pencils to keep the neck in place. :facepalm:

Archived