New-and-improved NGD (on the Dark Side)...

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

At last night's NYE gig, as we were tearing down, a kid (anyone under 35 is a kid these days ;)) and asked about the guitar I play slide on, which is a First Act...he asked if he might play it for a minute, as he'd just started learning slide and hoped I might critique his attempts (he's actually coming along nicely, other than not always muting well). He was particularily interested in how I'd replaced the tone control with a 5-way rotary "Vari-sound", and had quite a time checking out how it changes the sound.

Looks like this one:

31J9FR565TL.jpg

Eventually, he asked if I might consider selling it, but I told him if I did I'd have to find something else and the only other guitar I was considering was another First Act, the ME509. He then said that he had one and wondered if I might like to see it...I told him that I would, so while we finished loading gear, he ran home to get it.

Got back just when I was about to point my truck back to Da Boonies and pulled his ME509 out and asked if I could take it and $120 for mine...a agreed and here she be:

1fb5d43b-461f-4e80-a814-6e2ac648049a

Sorry about the crappy cell-phone pic...

• Members

Cosmetically, you came out ahead. Plus the cash.

Yeah, I like this one's styling better...the p/u isn't as hot, which is also a "+" (some p/us are just excessively over-wound for anything but Metal), but has a nice, sweet tone.

Don't know if I'll put a 5-way into this one, as I really only used the series, parallel and single-coil modes, but not the other two...probably will just go with a 3-way.

Will likely put some chrome Grovers on it, too.

Archived