Choosing string size before set-up

mic4h

• Members

Blueridge BR-143-2, 000 size, 1 3/4'' nut

I've had this instrument for maybe 5 years and I love it. Eric Schoenberg in Tiburon, CA sold it to me and set it up. I just decided it needs another set-up.

I set up my electric myself (my own hand-filed nut, truss rod, saddle height, intonation, etc) but the acoustic is a little scarier. I figure I'll just find an old man to do it for me (maybe someone at McCabe's in Santa Monica, I don't know). The main problem is I don't know if I trust myself to hand-file my own saddle for intonation.

Anyway, if I'm going to go to all this trouble, I want the action and intonation to be perfect, which means.... I have to commit to a string size!

I chose 000 because I play a lot of flicky-poppy finger-style stuff, and when I use a pick, I focus on a lot on fret-hand muting while my pick-hand is in constant-16ths-mode, a la Dave Matthews etc. The smaller size makes it easier to man-handle. :thu:

I guess I want to balance the lowest possible action and being able to slap the **** out of the thing without buzzing like a bee.

How do I choose string size?

ps: bone? tusq? micarta?

Thanks!

• Members

What guage are you currently using? Happy? Then keep using those! (I'd suggest a light set, .012 through .053 or .054, to get a fat sound...lighter may sound thinner, but you know what you like best.)

Tusc is dependable, bone can be nice, but is sometimes problematic if your guitar has a UST.

Fossilized walrus ivory is the best, but pricey.

• Members

Well, I can tell you that nothing is perfect, especially intonating an acoustic guitar, and even if you set it up for light gauge, putting a set of medium on will be insignificant in the intonation department. No opinion on the bone, micarta, tusq. Most of that, again, is fairly insignificant, but that's just a person on the internet's opinion.

• Members

If you're a little less than confident about making your own saddle, I suggest you contact Bob Colosi. He is a very talented, well-established saddle guru.

Fair warning - if you choose a bone saddle and decide to grind it yourself, it stinks to high heaven, smelling much like a tooth being drilled on. Yuk.

• Members

The saddle part is super-terrifically easy to do yourself, although you really do need to take your time with it. I'll confess I've broken at least one bone saddle during a swap by being a dumbass.

Edit: This guy is an excellent source, by the way. And a very nice guy to deal with. http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

If you're having trouble selecting a material, I think bone is always a safe bet. Hard stuff. Nice clear tone. I think just about any of the popular materials make a good nut, but if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of making a new one, I figure bone is a good safe bet there, too. Hard to be dissatisfied with bone, IMHO. I wouldn't recommend trying to make your own acoustic nut without any experience (actually, that's kind of stupid advice since there's a first time for everything - I just mean maybe try it sometime as a side experiment rather than having to depend on the first nut you make... or something), but this can be a pretty expensive job to have done by a tech.

Re. string gauge, do you tend to switch around a lot? From your description of your playing, I'm guessing that if you do a lot of fretboard gymnastics you may tend to lean toward light strings (?). If so, set it up for what you ordinarily use. I don't believe perfect intonation exists, so when I occasionally switch string gauges on my acoustics just to experiment, I never really notice any major diffs relative to nut setup or intonation. Switching from 13/56 to 10/48 might be an issue, but 13/56 to 12/54, or vice versa, for example... no big whoop.

Archived