handmade guitar by L.W. Fox

dtmz

• Members
3 minutes ago, jmcclure said:

Loved the bearclaw.  Quilted mahogany back and sides.  Unfortunately the original matching sides pieces cracked when I bent them.  The replacements aren't as good a match as the originals were.  

Luthiery remains a mystery to me.  Bending sides..magical trickery!

• Members

You should give it a try sometime.  I took a class with a luthier that knew what he was doing and had the proper jigs and equipment.  I really enjoyed it and would have built another if I hadn't moved.  There's nothing magical about it but there is a little alchemy involved.  :-)

• Members
55 minutes ago, jmcclure said:

You should give it a try sometime.  I took a class with a luthier that knew what he was doing and had the proper jigs and equipment.  I really enjoyed it and would have built another if I hadn't moved.  There's nothing magical about it but there is a little alchemy involved.  🙂

Nah, I have no love for woodworking, a pretty good eye for aesthetics, but not for creating them.  Plus, absolutely no room for tools, seriously.  The basement isn’t really a “basement” but for a small utility room crammed with the usual suspects, and Gibsonette owns the 1 car garage, not even 1-½ car..

But hey, retirement is a short while away.  Maybe start small, like a nylon string fretless gourd banjo!

• Members
On 10/22/2020 at 9:20 AM, jmcclure said:

Also have a few others that I fool around with.  An Ibanez (hats off to Deepend) and one that I built myself.

Your home built guitar looks great. Love the bearclaw. Sadly, I have neither the skills nor the patience to build my own. :( My Ibanez is an AW120 like this one.

AW120.jpg.e42b25444d0be57384d8f522979e3962.jpg

Mine is a 2003 from when they were still made in Korea. Their acoustics don't get a lot of love but I think it's as good as just about anything out there for the price.

• Members
On 10/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, jmcclure said:

You should give it a try sometime.  I took a class with a luthier that knew what he was doing and had the proper jigs and equipment.  I really enjoyed it and would have built another if I hadn't moved.  There's nothing magical about it but there is a little alchemy involved.  🙂

As the only one-time poster on a zombie thread that actually stayed to converse about guitars, and let me offer that you sound...er..”sound”, there’s a thread that needs your input, “the Sun is setting” thread.  It’s about crying for the “old times”, how moderation has ruined the flow, and laments the fact there are no newbies.  Please, as someone with newbie status, put your .02 in on it.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man gets to watch the chicks in the shower, or something like that...😁

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

brass nuts are fine on brass monkeys...and who complained about the moderation?

Among other things is the sunset thread.  Or I did not read and comprehend like a civilized man, which is entirely possible.

I’ve used a brass saddle, but all that bouncing, you’d really need brass nuts, one brass nut wouldn’t do.

baDUMbump.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

Among other things is the sunset thread.  Or I did not read and comprehend like a civilized man, which is entirely possible.

I’ve used a brass saddle, but all that bouncing, you’d really need brass nuts, one brass nut wouldn’t do.

baDUMbump.

I don't recall there being an assigned Moderator in the AG forum for many years [at least a decade]...which was why I asked.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Lee Fox was a wonderful man. He was my childhood best friends grandpa. Mike is looking for any L. W. Fox guitar he can find. If you’re interested in learning more or possible selling I can get you in touch with him. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members
On 2/19/2023 at 9:05 PM, Macdaddeus said:

My cousin’s grandfather made these. His name was Lee W Fox. I have the one he built for my dad. It was one of his first builds.

I lived near Mr Fox for about one year and bought my guitar from him in 1973. I visited him in his garage workshop several times. It is one of the guitars I will hand down to my kids. Any information about him and his guitars will be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...