Strumming Style That will Damage Your Guitar

JoeJazz

• Members

What type of strumming style eventually cuts into the guitar top just under the sound hole and towards the bridge?  The answer will probably be obvious to those players who venture into multiple genres but I went from playing in church to jazz.  I've seen this damage on guitars on e-bay, craig's list, and our local repair shop.  Maybe it's not strumming at all.  I've thought it might be a percussion effort with the right hand but the damage seems to reflect an even stronger attack.  This is not just on older guitars, I've seen it on guitars only a few years old.  Also, I'm pretty sure most of the guitars I've seen with this damage have spruce tops so I don't think it's a material thing.  My best guess if it's not a strumming style is that maybe players are using their pick or finger nails to tap this area to add a percussion beat to all or part of their tunes.   Any thoughts?

• Members

You have it pretty much nailed(hah).  The wild up and down country-swinging arms will do it as well, but mainly I believe it's your nails hitting the face, along with the pick on ocassion.  I get those marks, and don't use picks.  Not Willie Nelson marks, but marks.

It's not just using the top for percussion, it's sort of unavoidable over the long run if you use a guitar in any way, except for those playing strictly soft pieces, I suppose.

• Members

Neal wrote:

You have it pretty much nailed(hah).  The wild up and down country-swinging arms will do it as well, but mainly I believe it's your nails hitting the face, along with the pick on ocassion.  I get those marks, and don't use picks.  Not Willie Nelson marks, but marks.

It's not just using the top for percussion, it's sort of unavoidable over the long run if you use a guitar in any way, except for those playing strictly soft pieces, I suppose.

Thanks Neal.  I grieve over every bump and scratch when it comes to my high end guitars.  Unless I was playing guitar for a living I come from a mold that treats their guitars like children.  It doesn't bother me as much with my daily guitar.

• Members

JoeJazz wrote:

What type of strumming style eventually cuts into the guitar top just under the sound hole and towards the bridge?  The answer will probably be obvious to those players who venture into multiple genres but I went from playing in church to jazz.  I've seen this damage on guitars on e-bay, craig's list, and our local repair shop.  Maybe it's not strumming at all.  I've thought it might be a percussion effort with the right hand but the damage seems to reflect an even stronger attack.  This is not just on older guitars, I've seen it on guitars only a few years old.  Also, I'm pretty sure most of the guitars I've seen with this damage have spruce tops so I don't think it's a material thing.  My best guess if it's not a strumming style is that maybe players are using their pick or finger nails to tap this area to add a percussion beat to all or part of their tunes.   Any thoughts?

Poor technique.

• Members

Graeca wrote:

JoeJazz wrote:

Poor technique.

Yes.

• Members

I strum driving rhythm with a pick in my band and you can see the scoring on my Taylor 410 in my avatar.  In more recent years I've been working on a lighter more contained strum and it's slowed down the wear, but I figure I'm just a few more years away from a hole opening down below the pick-guard.  

I wouldn't play a very expensive guitar this way, but its what the music I'm playing demands, so I just do my best to contain it to some extent.  I bought the guitar in the mid 90's used for $750, and despite the scoring, it's still a great-sounding guitar.

Louis

Archived